This topic contains 25 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  The Funkinator 12 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Ebonite
    Participant

I like money.

BOY
    Participant

Regardless of the actual settings I WILL KILL YOU

my main goal is to get players to a point of agreement and general accord on the shield settings using logic that makes sense to me….. (i am doomed to fail) Apply this to what you read

First, Jdog,
    you are getting me wrong, I am not actually saying that I think the intrest solves the “problem” . I am addressing the shield issue, which others think is a problem. The intrest is one of the things that accentuates the shield issue so many of you are concerned about. I actually DONT CARE what the shield settings are very much because (in my mind) I can use any stratagy or weapon as well as the next guy. I actually like the shield settings, but i recognize that they worsen the imbalance between poor and good players.

to everyone complaining about the shield settings: You might not like this 😡 , but the problem is YOU, you could solve it easily if you were determined to defeat the shields instead of complaining about them.

I tend to think the old Force shield setting was idiotic since a well shot digger would render it absolutely pointless (actually, they very nearly still do the same thing!!!)

Willis, you and I see nearly eye to eye, yet…… there is always something

my reponses in yellow@willis wrote:

2 cents ..

First, enconomic strategy is NOT a problem, its a plus to this game.
    AMEN!!! I could not agree more But, reducing intrest would in many ways INCREASE the economic stratagy, also consider that shooting skill EQUALS economic stratagy.

Also when youre not spending high priced bombs, your typicly keeping yourself to the “Baby” weapons. Anyone off the first round smart enough to buy batteries and parachutes – already keep themselves from the DH you speak of Boy.
    again, of course (this was a side bar issue i should not have meantioned that was intended to address complaints about mean spirited players, I might not have made that clear)

Now in relation to this server idea I won’t say I disagree, becuase its true bb -> misslies are the best show of skill. However I won’t say I fully support it because other weapons and sheilds and fuel are what make Scorched, well.. Scorched. Its just how the game is played.
    Absolutely Right On!!

My second item I wish to commet on is this jesture of the game being luck. People winning games are just lucky? Maybe, but does that mean they any less deserve to win? Heres a little reality check – SKILL is Ability + Luck.
    Confused…. If you are saying that the ranking is a result of skill and luck, that is true, but if you are saying that real skill can be a result of luck, then according to the dictionary that makes no sense at all.

Some newb wins the game by 2 round wins and -1 kills becuase every other time people kill each other off first… does this mean he should not win? NO. Dont punish that person because everyone else in the game was too concerned about others.
    I do accept that luck is just part of the game….. But that is exacly the reason why round WINS (earlier i had said kills! oops!) alone should not determine the winner. If intrest WERE lowered to an appropriate level (33% is, in economic terms, actually rediculous) then money would be a much better way of determining winner. (sell penalty=5%, intrest= 10% kill=10k win=20k with money divided between winners)

If they did not want the newb to win they should have targeted him.
    (in general, you can only shoot one at a time, In this case you should assume that it was most beneficial to kill the biggest threat and by choosing the most effective shot and that this shot was not at the noob

I dont see the point of bickering over money or luck, because IMO these problems all arise out of what the user does wrong – and we’re the users.This is a very wise statement

cbx550f
    Participant

@ebonite² wrote:

I like money.

I like it when Hobbes takes the time to write a piece like the one that started off this thread. 😀

Hobbes, even if I thought your idea was absolute rubbish (which it is not), I still would have thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

I think it’s a great idea. Feel free to add a c(b,x) to your list.

hobbesme
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

I like it when Hobbes takes the time to write a piece like the one that started off this thread. 😀 I … thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Thank you.

I appreciate your appreciation of my tongue-in-cheek humor. You’re the only person to have appreciated my Declaration-of-Independece spoof.

Although my request is absolutely genuine, I thought the Declaration spoof would generate a lot more interest & positive feedback than it did.

Obviously I was wrong! 🙂

@cbx550f wrote:

I have added you as the fourth signer on this most auspicious document! 😉

Thanks again!

M. O.
    Participant

@hobbesme wrote:

@cbx550f wrote:

I like it when Hobbes takes the time to write a piece like the one that started off this thread. 😀 I … thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Thank you.

I appreciate your appreciation of my tongue-in-cheek humor. You’re the only person to have appreciated my Declaration-of-Independece spoof.

Although my request is absolutely genuine, I thought the Declaration spoof would generate a lot more interest & positive feedback than it did.

Obviously I was wrong! 🙂

@cbx550f wrote:

I have added you as the fourth signer on this most auspicious document! 😉

Thanks again!

I did quite enjoy it myself. And I am working on stats for the missile range.

Also I do think it was you that said they were to good for bbm’s only in my poll. 🙂

Deathstryker
    Participant

You should be searching for a publisher for that fine piece.

hobbesme
    Participant

@willis wrote:

Now in relation to this server idea I won’t say I disagree, becuase its true bb -> misslies are the best show of skill. However I won’t say I fully support it because other weapons and sheilds and fuel are what make Scorched, well.. Scorched. Its just how the game is played.

I’m not asking that the regular servers be shut down.

I’m not asking for a totally-restrictive, no-items-at-all server.

All I’m asking for is one server that doesn’t allow shields to be purchased/used.
    I want all the other weapons, defenses, accessories; economics; & gameplay — just NO shields.

How is this No-Shields-but-all-other-items server any worse than M.O.’s MissileRange, which is a fine server to play on & to practice accuracy?

@boy wrote:

to everyone complaining about the shield settings: You might not like this 😡 , but the problem is YOU, you could solve it easily if you were determined to defeat the shields instead of complaining about them.

I actually DONT CARE what the shield settings are very much because (in my mind) I can use any stratagy or weapon as well as the next guy.

I agree & disagree with you, Boy. And I’ll use your own words to show you why.

For players that are experienced OR ARE WILLING to take the time to become experienced without getting discouraged first, adapting to ANY game’s mechanics & strategy is obviously required.

@boy wrote:

I actually like the shield settings, but i recognize that they worsen the imbalance between poor and good players.

However, any game that has any overly unbalanced game mechanics can produce too large a disparity in play outcome. This can quickly reduce the average players’ chances of learning or improving their game. And in online games where players do not know each other personally, the disparity in game play can become too discouraging too quickly so that newb/average players quit & never come back rather than stick around & learn/improve.

@boy wrote:

Consider this….. assume that all players are equally experienced in a game of 6 players. one player is blessed with beautiful spot on round 1, resulting in 3 kills and a round win. The intrest on these kills is enough to support his shield habbit for the rest of the damn game. Other players not so well blessed, must immediately begin buying heavy weapons to hopefully defeat this shield monger, OR resort to sitting on their money to get some intrest for shields later on (a risky scheme).

But consider if all the players are NOT equally experienced — that some newbs are playing the game & are interested in learning how to play, but don’t quite understand the vast chasm of game unbalance that can occur in your above scenario. These newbs try over & over again to score a kill, but against experienced players with shields & money management techniques they invariably fail to make kills & instead get killed themselves again & again.

@boy wrote:

I tend to think the old Force shield setting was idiotic since a well shot digger would render it absolutely pointless (actually, they very nearly still do the same thing!!!)

I agree that V37 shields were too weak; could easily be taken out with baby weapons. And I don’t know if I really think that V38 shields are too strong. I don’t know exactly how shield strength, or shield price, or shield effectiveness should be modified — if at all.

I just think that M.O.’s server & perhaps a non-shields server would provide an alternative game experience that eliminates one of the currently overly-unbalanced game mechanisms.

@willis wrote:

First, enconomic strategy is NOT a problem, its a plus to this game.

@boy wrote:

AMEN!!! I could not agree more But, reducing intrest would in many ways INCREASE the economic stratagy, also consider that shooting skill EQUALS economic stratagy.

I certainly agree that economic strategy is a very important & fun aspect of the game. It allows infinite possibilities for each player’s gameplay. One player’s effective weapon is another player’s useless weapon & vice versa.

Which is again why I requested a server that removes shields but no other items.

As a final thought, look at all the players that come on for 10-30 minutes, get zero kills, & probably never come back to play again.

Although many players tell these newbs to play offline & learn the game first, playing against non-human bots does NOT make you a better player against thinking, strategizing, experienced human players. The only way for these newbs to really learn is to have us experienced players teach them.

I know I’m not the only one, but I want EVERYONE that’s interested in this game to have the chance to come in, learn the game, enjoy the game, & not become too discouraged too quickly. I want to elevate EVERYONE’s gameplay — not just the relative few who are naturally good at games.

[This doesn’t even address the jerks (like mokes, 1’s, etc.) who just want to be #1 & screw everyone else’s feelings or fun in the process!]

Though it may not be helpful, a few of us try to teach newbs some of these lessons while we play & we encourage them not to give up so quickly. However, a game with overly unbalanced aspects can quickly lead to discouragement & quitting.

I just want there to be enough games & options that players of all skills from poor to experienced can play online with all of us & both enjoy the game & hopefully improve their game.

hobbesme
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

@hobbesme wrote:

Thank you … You’re the only person to have appreciated my Declaration-of-Independece spoof.

@m. O. wrote:

I did quite enjoy it myself.

@deathstryker wrote:

You should be searching for a publisher for that fine piece.

Again, thanks for liking the humor. I enjoy the discussion & debate on this forum, but also the banter.

@m. O. wrote:

And I am working on stats for the missile range.
    Also I do think it was you that said they were to good for bbm’s only in my poll. 🙂

Uh, no — I did NOT say that I was too good for BBM’s. I’m too self-deprecating to think that highly of myself! 🙂

I simply voted ‘Yes’ to Amendment #9 – Player Stats on M.O.’s MissileRange.

The Funkinator
    Participant

I’ve come up with a few ideas with regards shields to make them more sensible. I was thinking about shields, and how to combat the rather annoying last-second activation of shields some users use (including myself).

Here’s a few suggestions (some of these could be applied to parachutes too):

• Shields could take a whole round to activate instead of firing a weapon.
    • Shields could activate at the end of the round after all the weapons had exploded whilst the shield user could also fire a weapon. (This would have the side effect of making autodefence actually worth having, and is my personal favourite)
    • Shields could activate before weapons are fired after everyone had gone (this solution doesn’t really solve the problem, but at least makes it fair)

On the same subject I find it rather annoying that people can watch your money whilst your in the buy stage, parhaps this could be changed to only update at the end of the buy stage, making it somewhat difficult to guess what someone else purchased, and also making it impossible for someone else to purchase differently depending upon what you purchased.

-The Funkinator

(my two cents)

Ebonite
    Participant

I pledge Allegiance to the Hobbes,
    . And the United Gamers of Scorched.
    And to the Servers,
    . On which they Play.
    One Game
    Completely Modable
    With Death Heads and Funky Bombs for all.

A request was made of me to “review and input” in this thread by someone who subsequently called me a “wise” something. “ass” I think… Anyway, I am looking at it. My thoughts are not fully formed yet, but once I get coherent, I will post my take on the subject. Why can’t you guys ever discuss simple stuff? I mean, geez!

BOY
    Participant

@The Funkinator wrote:

I’ve come up with a few ideas with regards shields to make them more sensible. I was thinking about shields, and how to combat the rather annoying last-second activation of shields some users use (including myself).

Here’s a few suggestions (some of these could be applied to parachutes too):

• Shields could take a whole round to activate instead of firing a weapon.
    • Shields could activate at the end of the round after all the weapons had exploded whilst the shield user could also fire a weapon. (This would have the side effect of making autodefence actually worth having, and is my personal favourite)
    • Shields could activate before weapons are fired after everyone had gone (this solution doesn’t really solve the problem, but at least makes it fair)

On the same subject I find it rather annoying that people can watch your money whilst your in the buy stage, parhaps this could be changed to only update at the end of the buy stage, making it somewhat difficult to guess what someone else purchased, and also making it impossible for someone else to purchase differently depending upon what you purchased.

-The Funkinator

(my two cents)

as an original scorch fan, I am in total agreement with you ! These ideas are cutting edge stuff

I HATE doing the last second shield move on others, and I hate it more when they do it to me, I also HATE watching a players money to see if i can detect what they buy, It is just, yes, irritating. You should begin a poll on this stuff most deffinitely. If you dont, I will.

Now to Hobbesme.

as to your last post and responses, yes, you are exactly right and actually I believe we are in total agreement ont his issue here. I am also saddened that noobs are not having any fun, even if it is their own fault for sucking, I want to help them out. The shields need to be balaned out somehow, and PRICEs are really the most painless and fair way to correct this (you did not respond to my discussion of lowering intrest)Shield price could also just be increased. I have posted before that the shields prices should be 25K for 2 OR now maybe 30K for 2. What i would like to see is the shield settings stay the same but the fequency of shield use be cut back.

Also:
    I did love and appreciate your Declaration Spoof but did not respond to it since i was unsure if i should actually support it, since it could upset the “throne” if things go too far.

The following words (not my own) might sum up my feelings……

Although this isn’t a song but rather a poem based on Hamlet’s “To be or not to be” speech,
    it depicts the very difficult position of the loyalist when pressured by fellow colonists to
    sign an oath of fidelity to the Continental Congress. As it shows, some became very reluctant “rebels.”

THE PAUSING AMERICAN LOYALIST

To sign, or not to sign? That is the question,
    Whether ’twere better for an honest man
    To sign, and so be safe; or to resolve,
    Betide what will, against associations,
    And, by retreating, shun them. To fly– I reck
    Not where: And, by that flight, t’ escape
    Feathers and tar, and thousand other ills
    That loyalty is heir to: ‘Tis a consummation
    Devoutly to be wished. To fly– to want–
    To want? Perchance to starve: Ay, there’s the rub!
    For, in that chance of want, what ills may come
    To patriot rage, when I have left my all–
    Must give me pause: –There’s the respect
    That makes us trim, and bow to men we hate.
    For, who would bear th’ indignities o’ th’ times,
    Congress decrees, and wild convention plans,
    The laws controll’d, and inj’ries unredressed,
    The insolence of knaves, and thousand wrongs
    Which patient liege men from vile rebels take,
    When he, sans doubt, might certain safety find,
    Only by flying? Who would bend to fools,
    And truckle thus to mad, mob-chosen upstarts,
    But that the dread of something after flight
    (In that blest country, where, yet, no moneyless
    Poor wight can live) puzzles the will,
    And makes ten thousands rather sign– and eat.
    Than fly — to starve on loyalty.–
    Thus, dread of want makes rebels of us all:
    And thus the native hue of loyalty
    Is sicklied o’er with a pale cast of trimming;
    And enterprises of great pith and virtue,
    But unsupported, turn their streams away,
    And never come to action.

–Middlesex Journal, January 30, 1776.

The Funkinator
    Participant

@boy wrote:

as an original scorch fan, I am in total agreement with you ! These ideas are cutting edge stuff

I HATE doing the last second shield move on others, and I hate it more when they do it to me, I also HATE watching a players money to see if i can detect what they buy, It is just, yes, irritating. You should begin a poll on this stuff most deffinitely. If you dont, I will.

I’m a newbie and I was trying to keep a low profile and I’d rather someone else reworded it so it’s easier to understand I suck when it comes to wording things like that 😉

So go ahead and post a poll Boy 🙂

-The Funkinator

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.