This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  cbx550f 11 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Lithium
    Participant

I am new to Ubuntu and the whole Debian packaging scheme. I downloaded and installed the Scorched3d 4.0 debian package and installed it. When I run scorched 3D, I get a message saying:

scorched3d: error while loading shared libraries: libwx_gtk-2.4.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I don’t know what this means but I’m running a 2.6 version of the kernel. I’m not sure if installing libwx 2.4 (whatever that is) is a good idea or not and I’m not even sure loading libwx will help. What do I need to do?

NM. I followed what someone else did who had the same problem. I used apt-get to load the libwx2.4 package and the game runs. However, every time I exit a game, a window pops up saying Scorched3d terminated unexpectedly. I’ve tried game safe-mode settings and still have the same problem. My NVIDIA card is using the latest glx driver posted on the NVIDIA sight and other OPENGL games work fine. What’s wrong?

parasti
    Participant

@lithium wrote:

I am new to Ubuntu and the whole Debian packaging scheme. I downloaded and installed the Scorched3d 4.0 debian package and installed it. When I run scorched 3D, I get a message saying:

scorched3d: error while loading shared libraries: libwx_gtk-2.4.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I don’t know what this means but I’m running a 2.6 version of the kernel. I’m not sure if installing libwx 2.4 (whatever that is) is a good idea or not and I’m not even sure loading libwx will help. What do I need to do?

wxWidgets is the GUI drawing kit that the game uses. You will need to install libwxgtk 2.4. Take a look at the Kubuntu Desktop Guide for some more or less useful information on package management.

parasti
    Participant

@lithium wrote:

NM. I followed what someone else did who had the same problem. I used apt-get to load the libwx2.4 package and the game runs. However, every time I exit a game, a window pops up saying Scorched3d terminated unexpectedly. I’ve tried game safe-mode settings and still have the same problem. My NVIDIA card is using the latest glx driver posted on the NVIDIA sight and other OPENGL games work fine. What’s wrong?

Okay, since you updated the post while I was replying, I might as well try to answer this one. 🙂 I had the same problem and am now using the provided RPM converted to the Debian format by ‘$ fakeroot alien package.rpm’ (needs the fakeroot and alien packages).

Lithium
    Participant

So for the RPM converted to Deb, the game posed no problems for you on exit? Do I still need that libwsGTK2.4 package?

parasti
    Participant

@lithium wrote:

So for the RPM converted to Deb, the game posed no problems for you on exit? Do I still need that libwsGTK2.4 package?

None and yes.

Edit: actually, I just checked, and the binary does not appear to be dynamically linked with libwxgtk, so maybe that part of my reply is not true.

Lithium
    Participant

Heh…That worked. Thanks, Parasti

ARI
    Participant

The deb-package always gave me segfaults. Using alien to convert the rpm-package worked tho!

cbx550f
    Participant

@lithium wrote:

So for the RPM converted to Deb, the game posed no problems for you on exit?

Do you get the “Abnormal Termination” dialog after you quit the game?

Let me know – I do too, but I thought it was just because of all the messing around I have done on my system. 😉

cbx

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.