This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Deathbal 10 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Ebonite
    Participant

The individual warhead spread of a Deathhead seems to be tied to the distance traveled from the firing tank in a horizontal line, rather than actual total distance traveled. For example, a deathhead fired at 0.1 angle and 1000 power has a wider swath of destruction at its terminus than a deathhead fired at 89.9 angle and 1000 power. Basically, the farther away from the tank a deathhead travels laterally the greater the spread of it’s warheads. Is this intentional?

BOY
    Participant

I think it works as intended.

This is due to the speed at which the projectiles travel when the weapon deploys. at high speed the angle of deflection will carry them apart quickly, but the same angle without speed results in no spread.

when at a low angle, the horizontal component [ or (x,y) plane] contains all the energy, so they spread mostly horizontal (this can be edited in the xml easily to add less horizontal and more vertical if desired) but, for the most part, at 45 degree angle the spread is nearly equally vertical and horizontal.

cbx550f
    Participant

Well, that explains quite well how the game treats it, but I must say, I don’t see a “real-world physical reason” for that. Launching at 0 or 90 degrees at 1000 power is still 1000 power. 😉

Having said that, I think I like the current behavior better than having a huge spread on vertical shots (although that could be entertaining).

Thrax
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

Well, that explains quite well how the game treats it,
    but I must say, I don’t see a “real-world physical reason” for that.
    Launching at 0 or 90 degrees at 1000 power is still 1000 power. 😉

Having said that, I think I like the current behavior better than having
    a huge spread on vertical shots (although that could be entertaining).

About the only thing to improve it, would be to add back in the apexnodud..

Street-Sweeper..

BOY
    Participant

well, yes, the real world physics would have to incorporate some sort of inherent energy into the splitting itself. Apexnodud is cool but I really like the way it adds extra challenge.

If apexnodud could be modified perhaps tso that deployment was depended on one or more things that woudl be cool, such as:

or

Deathbal
    Participant

I may be totally off, but this is how i see it. Wondering why a DH spreads more fired horizontally vs high angle, right?

When fired at say 10 degrees 1000 power the missiles disperse and are spread apart by what appears to be wind resistance.

If you fire it at 80 degrees 1000 power the missile stays in tact until it reaches it’s apex. Then when it disperses the projectiles, they are falling slowly with very little wind resistance causing them to stay close to eachother. It basically depends on how fast it’s going when it reaches it’s apex. It’s always going to be slower at higher angles.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.