This topic contains 13 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Bobirov 11 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Thrax
    Participant

ok, Bugs and features..

I have a (i feel is major) feature/bug problem..

I have discovered to my immense displeasure, that there is no longer
    any setting at all to reward cash for hit-points of damage done..

not assists, but Cash for damage.
    Without this ability, anyone who doesn’t kill doesn’t get any more
    money to continue playing.
    sort of a penalty for sucking at the game, instead of a reward
    for trying the best you can..

without this option in the game, i’m sorry to say that i cannot re-open the
    Stone-age, or Lasermod servers.. since the main idea behind both
    was built on that option.

Bobirov
    Participant

@thrax wrote:

I have discovered to my immense displeasure, that there is no longer any setting at all to reward cash for hit-points of damage done..

Note that you can award cash for assists (assist reward x armslevel). That’s not quite the same as the old cash for damage done option, but similar. I think you get an assist each time you hit a player without killing them, but I’m not sure on that.

That being said, an option to use the old reward system would be nice. I kinda liked having the cash reward being based on the amount of damage you inflicted myself as well, and you just can’t do that anymore. Why the option had to be completely removed I’m not entirely sure. Suppose the new system was designed to give more meaning to the assist stat, where it would be fairly useless if you’re using the old reward system.

Thrax
    Participant

@bobirov wrote:

Note that you can award cash for assists (assist reward x armslevel).
    That’s not quite the same as the old cash for damage done option, but
    similar. I think you get an assist each time you hit a player without killing
    them, but I’m not sure on that.

No, after much testing with lasers(which cannot kill), not one shot,
    no matter the damage inflicted, gave one penny reward..

Defeats the purpose of having any of the smaller weapons in
    the game at all.. or of anyone trying to learn to play.

And I don’t plan to make a Mod with just massive one-shot-kills bombs..
    where’s the skill or fun in that.

Willis
    Participant

Woah, yeh i agree that is a big problem.

The cash/dmg reward system I thought was very well setup, maybe a little unfair at times but thats only relevent to how much the item costed (and thats all upto the modder not the game design).

If 4 people shoot at a target and each only causing 30 dmg, the first 3 are ripped off and then the 4th is the one who gets the reward.

I thought assists were just there to represent your effort in taking down an opponent and generating a SCORE… not determining how much money you get.

Bobirov
    Participant

Look in your server file and see if you see the following:

MoneyWonPerAssistPoint

If you don’t see the setting in your server file (it won’t exist if you’re using an old server file), add it in there and set it to whatever you want to be awarded for an assist (hitting player). You may also want to start up a new server (with the server dialog) and then save the server settings somewhere. You can then comb through the server file and snag any other new settings you might be missing in your old server file.

Thrax
    Participant

@bobirov wrote:

MoneyWonPerAssistPoint

If you don’t see the setting in your server file (it won’t exist if you’re using an old server file), add it in there and set it to whatever you want to be awarded for an assist (hitting player). You may also want to start up a new server (with the server dialog) and then save the server settings somewhere. You can then comb through the server file and snag any other new settings you might be missing in your old server file.

already been there a few dozen times..
    note that it says ‘assist’ point, not Hit-point.

if the target does not die in the attack, there is no assist recorded.
    you can hurt it a hundred times, given enough batteries.. and you won’t
    make a dime.

unless there’s a hidden xml string not shown to re-enable
    this, i’m out of the modding business.

Bobirov
    Participant

Now now, calm down, there is no need to over-react here. Its better to try to find a solution than to just drop everything and give up like that. I’m sure something will be done to address the issue, it just might take a point release.

Option A:
    I think there definately should be an option to use the old health-based reward method. I was quite fond of it myself and apparently I’m not the only one. Also, it would be nice if the ‘assist reward’ would be applied on top of the old reward system if it is enabled. If you didn’t want any reward for assists as well, you could just set it to 0 on the server.

Option B:
    If not an option to use the old scoring method, perhaps we need a new serveroption to control the amount of money awarded per hit (1 hit per player per turn maximum so as not to count multiple hits on the same person in the same turn). This would be similar to having health-based rewards turned off but having moneyperhitpoint set under the old reward system. That would be sort of a compromise between the old system and the new system. A flat reward (based on weapon armslevel) could be applied every time a person hits another player with a weapon. Again, any award for an assist would be added on top of this hit reward.

Option C:
    You could also change assists so that they are counted every time a person hits another player, they get an assist point. This would make the assist reward similar to how I envision the hit reward described in option B. The difference would be that assists becomes the hit reward instead of adding another setting/reward.

If I had to choose between these three options, I would choose option A. I still prefer the old reward method. And, like I said, it’d be cool if the new assist award would be applied on top of the old health-based reward system. That would prevent the assist stat from being completely useless when using the old money reward method. If you don’t want any additional awards applied over the old system, just set assist reward to 0.

Just my thoughts on the subject. More input is more than welcome.

Thrax
    Participant

Well then, while I wait for an official responce to this trouble,
    I’ll go over what I’ve noticed so far.

1. On win98se it has an issue with video-mode switching. When you close
    a full-screen session, it does not return the video-mode to what it was
    previously.

2. And this was in v.39 too.. Server side. Anyone noticed that if you
    click the log-area with your mouse and drag off, the entire server
    program exits.. closing the server and kicking all players.

3. Force shields appear to not reflect as well. I have often seen a
    shot bounce -thru- the shield and impact under the tank or dud out.

4. Mag shields Repel has less effect than previous main-server
    mags. i’ve seen fewer shots repelled away under same conditions
    as before. Has the section overhead normally protected become
    smaller than half-shield?

Bobirov
    Participant

Just have a few issues noticed while I was playing tonight, and a small suggestion.

Extra lives obtained via WeaponAddLives during a round don’t carry over into the following rounds. Just now noticed this personally and was wondering why that is the case? If you get an extra life and manage to make it through the round, it’d be nice to still have that extra life until you actually get a chance to use it.

Another thing I noticed about extra lives is that, if you don’t have some extra lives enabled (e.g. extralives = 1), you don’t see the Lives: 1, message in the tooltip text when you mouse over a tank. I think that the amount of lives should always be displayed in in the player tooltip text.

Willis brought this to my attention. When you connect to a game that is already in progress, the texturing is a bit whacky. He posted thepic below of what he saw.

Looks to me like the groundmap textures are being applied but the deform textures are not being applied on top of those where they should be there. That big hill in the pic should have the landscapes ‘scorch’ texture applied to it on top of the roads. I have yet to see this myself, but I figured I’d mention it since he posted a pic and I could see what he was talking about. Says he has seen that before v40 with the deform textures not being drawn. I have never noticed it.

And finally, a small suggestion I thought about while playing tonight. Is there a key-bindable function for scrolling up and down in the chat log? I looked for it briefly but didn’t see anything that popped out at me like that. I was thinking I’d like to bind pageup and pagedown to scroll the chat log as I don’t use those keys to adjust power anyway. Just a small suggestion.

Just thought I would mention those things before I forgot about em. Take them as you will. 😛

Bobirov
    Participant

@TODO List wrote:

Fixed: Reinstated money awarded due to hit points option

Woot! 🙂

If I rebuilt right now is the server code still compatible with the v40 release client? I’d like to update the server to include this change and the residual stats fixes if I could. Just wondering.

Thrax
    Participant

@bobirov wrote:

@TODO List wrote:

Woot! 🙂

If I rebuilt right now is the server code still compatible with the v40 release client? I’d like to update the server to include this change and the residual stats fixes if I could. Just wondering.

Yippie, and now i can prepare to live again…

still have to wait for it to actually happen… but at least i can
    imagine myself playing again soon.

good then, let us know as soon as it’s actually released so
    us non-CVS peon’s can do it too..

Willis
    Participant

Hmm.. so it is either one or the other?

I’m cool with that. 8)

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@bobirov wrote:

@TODO List wrote:

Woot! 🙂

If you update the server it should work. However the older clients will not see the extra money until the round ends.

Caveat : The new server to old client has been untestsed 🙂

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@bobirov wrote:

Extra lives obtained via WeaponAddLives during a round don’t carry over into the following rounds. Just now noticed this personally and was wondering why that is the case? If you get an extra life and manage to make it through the round, it’d be nice to still have that extra life until you actually get a chance to use it.

Hmm, I think about that, its working as intended at the moment 🙂

Another thing I noticed about extra lives is that, if you don’t have some extra lives enabled (e.g. extralives = 1), you don’t see the Lives: 1, message in the tooltip text when you mouse over a tank. I think that the amount of lives should always be displayed in in the player tooltip text.

Again, as intended. So you always want to see the lives?

Willis brought this to my attention. When you connect to a game that is already in progress, the texturing is a bit whacky. He posted thepic below of what he saw.

True, I do know about this one. At least I fixed the objects not being shown :), I’ll have a look at this one too. However the deform textures will not be applied.

And finally, a small suggestion I thought about while playing tonight. Is there a key-bindable function for scrolling up and down in the chat log? I looked for it briefly but didn’t see anything that popped out at me like that. I was thinking I’d like to bind pageup and pagedown to scroll the chat log as I don’t use those keys to adjust power anyway. Just a small suggestion.

Sure, I’ll have a look.

Bobirov
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

@bobirov wrote:

Hmm, I think about that, its working as intended at the moment 🙂

I understand, but I think it makes more sense if the lives would carry over to following rounds if they are not used. I am not talking about lives given to everyone by the server, they should not be added up each round if any are left over. If the server gives everyone 2 lives and a player gets an extra life during the round, they should start out with 3 lives the next round. Maybe that should be a server option?

I suppose the hard part would be figuring out when the additional extra lives should be counted as being used when the server is already giving everyone extra lives. In this case I would suggest that additional extra lives obtained via WeaponGiveLives should be the last lives used up during a round. So if the server is giving 2 extra lives and the player gets an additional extra life but he dies twice during the round, the extralife he has left should be the one that rolls over. Just my thoughts on the subject.

@gcamp wrote:

Again, as intended. So you always want to see the lives?

Yes, because as it is right now, if the server is not giving more than 1 life per round, you NEVER see the number of lives a player has, even if he has obtained 1 or 2 extra lives during a round. So I propose that you should always see the number of lives that a player has, even if the server is only giving 1 life per round.

@gcamp wrote:

True, I do know about this one. At least I fixed the objects not being shown :), I’ll have a look at this one too. However the deform textures will not be applied.

Okay, as long as you are aware. Just wanted to bring it to your attention. 😉

And yes, I am very glad the objects are shown and working correctly. 🙂

@gcamp wrote:

Sure, I’ll have a look.

Cool. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.