This topic contains 32 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  cbx550f 12 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

cbx550f
    Participant

Whups, sorry for the confusion – I do still get the crackling.

I have used the following sound cards: C-Media 7xxx, SB128 (Ensonic chip), SB Audigy. All with ALSA (Although I don’t know for sure if Scorched is running them “purely” with ALSA or going through OSS emulation).

I’ve been meaning to try OpenAL in a little 3d app I have made to see if I can duplicate the problem there or not… hopefully I’ll get time to help you with this soon.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

I’ve been meaning to try OpenAL in a little 3d app I have made to see if I can duplicate the problem there or not… hopefully I’ll get time to help you with this soon.

Yeah that would be cool. I think I can hear the crackling on their test programs. I have found the openalrc file and I am starting to mess around with that. Also I have changed the internal mixing down to 22025, bit still no luck.

cbx550f
    Participant

Well, I have tested the openal apps with no crackling whatsoever.
    I’ll take a look at the scorched code and see if I can duplicate the problem. (In another app)

*sigh* a subtle change in SoundListener.cpp seems to require a recompile of almost everything. lol…. waiting… really should be using my distcc compile farm 😉

cbx550f
    Participant

No real root cause or resolution, but commenting out in the following got rid of it:

void SoundListener::setVelocity(Vector &velocity)
    {
    if (!Sound::instance()->getInit()) return;

//alListenerfv(AL_VELOCITY, velocity);
    }

FWIW – I could see no other real difference when I did that. I’m not real well versed with OpenAL, but I think that’s just for doppler effect (should really look that up, but just too lazy right now), and if so, that’s not a big showstopper. 😉

But then again, why just in Linux….hmmm….almost deserves a post in the OpenAL mailing list if I (or more likely you lol) can’t find the reason.

REALLY curious of something: Same thing in OSX?

cbx550f
    Participant

Some notes afyer playing a few rounds:
    The Weapon store,I think we should title the “buy” and “sell” columns

On fast kills some odd things happen (often):

• On a really fast kill, the view “pops” to a farther position (I think it misses a bit of time then plants the camera against the wall along the current vector)
    • if it’s a kill, the target often doesn’t appear dead until the turn is complete – They often hang or drop with full health, the “player killed” message appears, but the tank doesn’t disappear until the end of the turn. (Also, the health bar stays full if it’s a “headshot” – meaning “full kill”)

(These anomalies only seem to appear on really fast kills.)

Camera doesn’t follow teleport.

Ambient waves get a bit loud sometimes

Boids rock.

*Request*: I like the separated death messages, but can we get a bit of alpha on them?

All in all, no that the crackling is gone, it ROCKS. 😀

Deathstryker
    Participant

@Teh CBX wrote:

The Weapon store,I think we should title the “buy” and “sell” columns

I think I’ve requested this somewhere before as well… Just place it at the very top where there’s a little bit of space.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

No real root cause or resolution, but commenting out in the following got rid of it:

Great, good work. I’ll try that myself.

but I think that’s just for doppler effect (should really look that up, but just too lazy right now),

Yes I think so.

But then again, why just in Linux….hmmm….almost deserves a post in the OpenAL mailing list if I (or more likely you lol) can’t find the reason.

I have already posted, I am just waiting for a response.

if it’s a kill, the target often doesn’t appear dead until the turn is complete

I fixed this recently, have you updated?

cbx550f
    Participant

Quote:
    if it’s a kill, the target often doesn’t appear dead until the turn is complete

I fixed this recently, have you updated?

Updated – yup, it’s fixed. 😉

Err, something seems amiss since I updated today (last update was about 5-7 days ago): Where’s the stereo sound gone? 😯

Also, there seem to be some new sound issues – getting some screeching, and some other anomalies when there are many sounds playing. A bit hard to describe, so I’ll attach a recording of a single deathhead shot. Note that this was recorded with the firing position, the target position, and the listener all roughly equidistant (ie: the firing tank, the target area, and the camera roughly make up an equalateral triangle).

I tried uncommenting the “velocity” line – and still had these anomalies.

oops – mp3 files not allowed – zipped it 😉

M. O.
    Participant

been lurking a bit here and there and gave the cvs version a try but will not compile. grabbed it last nite. attaching all the output from it.

Mandriva-2005 ie latest Mandrake.

cbx550f
    Participant

@m. O. wrote:

been lurking a bit here and there and gave the cvs version a try but will not compile. grabbed it last nite. attaching all the output from it.

Mandriva-2005 ie latest Mandrake.

Looks like a wxwindows problem – maybe try installing the older version of wx (I have 2.4.2 and it works fine). You can hete it at http://www.wxwindows.org/dl_gtk.htm%5B/usrl%5D

M. O.
    Participant

that can’t be it here it is with 2.4.2

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Err, something seems amiss since I updated today (last update was about 5-7 days ago): Where’s the stereo sound gone? 😯

The only thing I have changed is adding these lines to the source :

int attrlist[] =
    {
    ALC_FREQUENCY, 11025,
    ALC_INVALID
    };
    ALCcontext *soundContext = alcCreateContext(soundDevice, attrlist);
    if (!soundContext)
    {
    dialogExit("Scorched3D", "Failed to create sound context");
    return false;
    }

try changing back to this:

ALCcontext *soundContext = alcCreateContext(soundDevice, 0);

Thats the only change i’ve made.

Also, there seem to be some new sound issues – getting some screeching, and some other anomalies when there are many sounds playing.

Yeah I need to do some work to limit the max number of sounds that are mixed at the same time.

cbx550f
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

Thats the only change i’ve made.

Changing that back fixed the stereo, and the other problems! But why…. I’ll have a little look.

cbx550f
    Participant

Okay – got it. Increasing the frequency to 44100Hz cleared it up.:

int attrlist[] =
    {
    ALC_FREQUENCY, 44100,
    ALC_INVALID
    };

When I bumped it up to 22050 it cleared up the screeching and other anomalies, but still wasn’t stereo – going to 44100 did it.

Hmm, thats what it defaults to. I’ll just take it out again. I thought it would be faster (and causing no other issues) mixing at 11025!

M. O.
    Participant

Found the prob. Missing automake. Going fine now.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.