This topic contains 32 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  cbx550f 12 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

cbx550f
    Participant

Hey, just installed the cvs for the first time in a while – COOL!

Love the boids, and the stereo sound adds a whole new element to the game!

Couple notes: The configure failed on looking for “openal-config” on my system (Gentoo Linux) – as the version of OpenAL I have installed (the “latest”, according to portage) was ancient, and didn’t have the openal-config script included. (I think this will happen with most distributions, as OpenAL doesn’t seem to release tar.gz or rpms or anything, just cvs. To fix I did:

$ emerge --unmerge openal
    $ cvs -d:pserver:guest@opensource.creative.com:/usr/local/cvs-repository login
    (use password "guest")
    $ cvs -d:pserver:guest@opensource.creative.com:/usr/local/cvs-repository co openal
    $ cd openal
    $ ./configure && make install

That got OpenAL nicely updated. 🙂 It’s only within the last couple months that this script was included for Linux, so likely almost everyone would have to update -= would that imply that maybe it should be included with the S3d source? Or can we do without the script? (I know it’s handy for the configure script…)

Only other thing of note was the sound – in “1st person view” (ie: camera 4), the sound is nice, but when you move around it gets a bit crackly. Also, the turret rotation sound is crackly in the same fashion. Is this a known problem? May just be my system (I have crappy sound cards) – I’ll look into it here later – perhaps since I have two sound cards, I could try the other one, I’ll also run some OpenAL tests and see if it’s an OpenAL thing or not.

All in all – it’s looking nice – only took a quick look and played a couple rounds, but it’s nice. 🙂 The boids are amazing – the flight patterns are smooth and natural looking – very nice.

Do we get whales soon? 😀 (Perhaps I should make a model….)

Also – I like the look of the AccessoryStore screen – looking forward to seeing the favourites on it!

😀
    cbx

Mephisto
    Participant

Sounds great. I hope this new version comes out real soon cause the current one is holding me back from upgrading to wxWidgets 2.6 🙁

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Thanks for trying it out 🙂

Under windows the sound is just fine, however I also noticed quite a lot of crackling under linux, I’ve not had a chance to look into it yet. I’ll have a look at fixing the configure script.

Deathstryker
    Participant

Damn, I need to learn how to use CVS.

cbx550f
    Participant

Just a note on the spacial sound: Could you maybe decrease the ROLLOFF_FACTOR a bit (or maybe make it user configurable… oops – maybe it is, I didn’t check!). The sounds seem (to me) to attenuate a bit much with distance. Very subjective thing, I know – might seem perfect to others 😉

cbx550f
    Participant

Just updated today…. the new store is nice – favourites are nice and easy to use, and buy and sell on the same screen is great!
    Couple quirks:

1. The “bank account balance” does not decrement/increment when you buy and sell
    2. Can no longer see the prices of items you cannot afford – could we maybe have those in grey with no button? It’s nice to be able to see so you know how much you need to save/earn for the next round 😉

The teleport rocks! (love the sound too) – I should try to make a model for it to display in the weapons window… perhaps I’ll consult Larry Niven’s “The Theory and Practice of Teleportation” for ideas. 😉

Still have the sound cracking in Linux – any thoughts on that?

imported_gcamp
    Participant

[*]The “bank account balance” does not decrement/increment when you buy and sell

Np, ill look into it.

[*]Can no longer see the prices of items you cannot afford – could we maybe have those in grey with no button? It’s nice to be able to see so you know how much you need to save/earn for the next round 😉

Haha, good point.

The teleport rocks! (love the sound too) – I should try to make a model for it to display in the weapons window… perhaps I’ll consult Larry Niven’s “The Theory and Practice of Teleportation” for ideas. 😉

Yup I need a model and icon. I also need to decide on a price.

Not had time to look into it but I think it is probably to do with only using a software mixer. I get it too so I will try to get an ALSA mixer going and see if that fixes it.

cbx550f
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

Quote:
    [*]Can no longer see the prices of items you cannot afford – could we maybe have those in grey with no button? It’s nice to be able to see so you know how much you need to save/earn for the next round Wink

Haha, good point.

Everybody look quick! I made a good point! 😀

@gcamp wrote:

Yup I need a model and icon. I also need to decide on a price.

I’l throw together a few ideas for a model… as for the price – somewhere around the price of a DH? Something tells me it’ll take some tinkering to find a good balance for price.

Not had time to look into it but I think it is probably to do with only using a software mixer. I get it too so I will try to get an ALSA mixer going and see if that fixes it.

I haven’t looked at thisat all either – I presume we’re still assuming OSS? Is there a way (or will there be a way) to select the sound driver? It would be nice to use ALSA without the OSS emulation.

Thanks!

Ebonite
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

Don’t worry, it will pass… 😛

Sondra
    Participant

@ebonite² wrote:

@cbx550f wrote:

Don’t worry, it will pass… 😛

Really? For how long?

Right now Cb might be celebrating his good point 😛

Deathstryker
    Participant

I wouldn’t mind trying my hand at making an icon when someone makes an effect for it. I want it to match!

cbx550f
    Participant

Installing a new sound card – curious to see if it makes any difference.

One question though: Any way to select which sound device to use?

Okay, two questions…:

Do we have ALSA support? It would be a good idea, as OSS is (sooner or later) going to be phased out, and also we should see a minor performace increase using OpenAL’s ALSA support rather than using the OSS emulation.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Through the modules loaded in module.conf

Do we have ALSA support?

Yes OpenAL supports it.

cbx550f
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

Through the modules loaded in module.conf

I’ll take that as a no then. 😛

Reason I ask is that I had 2 (cheap) soundcards that wouldn’t do mixing, and inordr for me to listen to tunes while playing I had to play the music on one and have scorched on the other. Problem is now solved though – I finally broke down a put a decent (ie: less than 10 year old) soundcard last night, so problem solved. 🙂

imported_gcamp
    Participant

So you don’t get any crackling on the sound card now?

I have a soundblaster live 5.1 and I still get the crackling, I have configured ALSA but I still get it! What card are you using?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.