This topic contains 18 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Deathstryker 13 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Duble0Syx
    Participant

I’ve been enjoying this game for quite while now and I’d love to try out the cvs version. I was wondering if perhaps you could make a binary of the cvs version avaiable for download, like a once a week build or something? Compiling on windows is not something I am good at and it has the good graphics card. A nice one weekly cvs build would be great. Either way, thanks to whoever responds and to the makers of the game.

Bobirov
    Participant

Gavin, would it be ok if I posted a current version 38 executeable? I don’t know about doing it every week or anything but I don’t see why I couldn’t post one just to let people without access to (or knowledge of) a compiler check it out. Of course they would still have to figure out how to get the rest of the data files from CVS. I just figured I would ask before I did anything like that. Of course if you don’t want me to I can understand that too. Just let me know what you think about it.

Bobirov
    Participant

Well I think I can answer my own question here heh. After I thought about it some more I realized that even if I did post a compiled executeable, the CVS data files would only work for so long before differences would cause them to become incompatible. So I WOULD have to post one every time stuff changes and I am not going to do that regardless of whether or not it is okay to do so. So sorry folks, if ya can’t build it yourself I guess you’re just going to have to wait till it is done. Have no fear tho, the longer it takes, the better it will be and that is good news for all of us.. 🙂

Maybe one day I will learn to think before I post, but then again if I did that you wouldn’t get to see all these lovely blunders of mine. I guess I can only hope my mishaps are somehow entertaining. Although I’m willing to bet they are closer to frustrating.. 😉

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Sure thing. But getting the other files though CVS may still be a pain. Although I think sourceforge does nightly tar.gz of the CVS source so that may be the solution.

Bobirov
    Participant

(Original Post Removed By Bobirov)

Crispy Critter
    Participant

@bobirov wrote:

Scorched 3D 38 Preview – All files from a CVS build as of this morning.

Apocalypse 2 Preview – Early preview of version 2 of Apocalypse

Hmmm… first, I had to hunt down RAR… why not use ZIP instead?

Then, I finally got things set up, and got:

“The dynamic link library file MSVCP71.dll could not be found in the specified path C:Scorch38;.;C:WINNTSystem32;yada yada yada…”

I can’t find a link to the DLL on Microsoft’s site, and don’t want to download it from J. Random Website.

Ebonite
    Participant

@bobirov wrote:

Maybe one day I will learn to think before I post, but then again if I did that you wouldn’t get to see all these lovely blunders of mine. I guess I can only hope my mishaps are somehow entertaining.

oh, yes. everytime I see that you have posted, I go make myself some popcorn… 😛

Bobirov
    Participant

Okay well mainly because I just couldn’t help but feel like I had goofed too bad, I deleted the post about the CVS build. With every minute that passed after the post I fealt more and more like I overstepped my bounds. I couldn’t even get any work done because it kept bugging me heh. So, in light of this, I did the only thing I could think of to solve the problem and just removed the post and the archive. And now, I’m going to go crawl into a hole and just try to forget that I ever even asked to post a build in the first place. I’ll leave that to people who actually work on the game and know what they are doing, I promise… 😉

imported_gcamp
    Participant

I think a build may be a good idea though.

38 is pretty stable now (except for the new stuff I did last night, sigh), and it has taken much longer than originally anticipated. I can imagine people are getting impatiant, I am 🙂

cbx550f
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

38 is pretty stable now (except for the new stuff I did last night, sigh),

Point of interest: I hadn’t compiled the devel version for a while, and updated my CVS yesterday (Sept 6) – it compiled fine but crashes before the tank selection. (blank error message)

I haven’t really looked into it at all yet, just thought I’d mention it. (Running Linux, btw) I’m a bit busy right now, but I’ll look into it in a couple days.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Yeah thats the problem I am talking about 🙂
    Do you own a radeon card by any chance?

Anonymous
    Participant

There needs to be an FAQ for downloading and compiling scorched CVS’s. I tried today and the guide on sourceforge seems totally unorganized and I was thrown off. Anyone got a link to a good beginner’s guide for CVS’s. I have Cygwin Client BTW. I couldn’t even figure out what site to connect to that had the CVS version on it.

Deathstryker
    Participant

There needs to be an FAQ for downloading and compiling scorched CVS’s. I tried today and the guide on sourceforge seems totally unorganized and I was thrown off. Anyone got a link to a good beginner’s guide for CVS’s. I have Cygwin Client BTW. I couldn’t even figure out what site to connect to that had the CVS version on it.

Perhaps I shouldn’t admit my lack of knowledge, but that post was mine BTW.

Duble0Syx
    Participant

I had the chance to use someone else computer who has M$ Visual Studio .net. Using it compiling the CVS is something an idiot could do. Unfortunetaly there are those debuging *.dll files that come with visual studio that M$ dosn’t distribute indivdually. Thanks for the responses. I’ll just be patient until 38 is final. Can’t wait.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Ok, I have compiled a version of the CVS source for people to try out. This is a windows only compile and is distributed as a zip file i.e. no installer. If this is popular I may release a linux version as well.

This release does not look much different from 37 (yet) so you should only really download if you fancy seeing what all the fixes and other changes are like, or want to play it single player.
    For the list of all changes made so far see here :-
    http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/phpBB2/todo.php

Please note this is a pre release and is not the final version, it has not gone through all the normal testing process so all the normal disclaimers are valid.

BACKUP YOUR DISPLAY.XML FILE BEFORE RUNNING AS IT WILL NOT WORK WITH 37 AFTER RUNNING
    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/scorched3d/Scorched3D-38-pre1.zip?download
    File Size : 20 MB.
    [/b]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.