This topic contains 9 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  TankSnipe 7 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

imported_gcamp
    Participant

The original Scorched was created when artillery games were almost state of the art. Things have changed, and while the strategy component remains as strong as ever, people expect more from games these days. To help widen the audience and appeal of Scorched3D, and to give it a more updated feel, the current development is focused in two main areas. (Obviously other features and bug fixes are ontop of this).

Version 43
    The main emphasis for this release is to streamline and improve the playing experience. The upshot is that the game can play more like a RTS in some of the game modes. And in general the whole game play has been sped up with less waiting around.

For example:
    – When joining the server you will see the game straight away without having to wait till someone takes a shot (you can join mid shot)
    – When playing the game there are now no pauses what so ever for people joining and leaving the game, the flow of the game is constant (except obviously when someone leaving means the game stops)
    – The buying time is used for loading the level, so people on slower computers have less time to buy but other people aren’t affected.
    – Other players lagging or on slower connections won’t affect the game play much, other than a slight slowdown on shots being fired. Laggy players only affect themselves.
    – A round timer has been introduced to put a cap on the total time a game can take
    – More game modes have been introduced. The new game modes are all faster paced, one of them being completely real-time. The existing game modes are still supported for people liking the original slower pace.

Version 44
    The main emphasis for this release will be to add more online/game user integration. Accounts will be shared across all game servers and this website. Players will be able to track other players (friends) and will accumulate stats regardless of the server they play on.

BOY
    Participant

Sounds awesome ❗

TankSnipe
    Participant

I like the idea of a global user registration system that you have planned for version 44. Another game I frequent, http://bzflag.org, has such a system which I think you might want to look at. Just a suggestion. Looking forward to all the improvements. 🙂

P.S. You seem to have forgotten about my pm? (servers.php)

Thrax
    Participant

@tanksnipe wrote:

I like the idea of a global user registration system that you have
    planned for version 44. Another game I frequent, http://bzflag.org,
    has such a system which I think you might want to look at. Just a suggestion.
    Looking forward to all the improvements. 🙂

It would prevent any non-gavin’s-server host from managing thier own Stats,
    or displaying the Stats for thier servers on thier own home-pages.

I only see the point in this if you wanted to reduce the number of hosts
    around the world.

If you do wish to proceed in this direction, i would request that you make
    it a 3rd option. Along with the File and MySQL forms.

Since changing one letter in a server name can split off a new entry, i can
    see the -global database- becoming very cluttered and even fractured.
    A 3rd-party host wouldn’t be able to access the database to clean up thier
    own mistakes.. without poking into places that could potentially flush
    everything..

naka
    Participant

Different mods (and servers with Different settings) have completely different game play.
    So stats in one server can not be compared with stats on another one.

It is very good idea to have centralized stats, because ppl often have troubles setting up mysql, but only if each server has separate stats on the main page. For example we can not compare games/skills on merge vs main.

I think it is bad idea to have 1 centralized stat page with averaged results of all the servers.

Chopper
    Participant

I would have to agree with Thrax and Naka

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

yeah, i cant imagine how youd pull that off either. there’s no way we’d be able to hook all servers directly to the same mysql db the way the game works at the moment, but… ok – i can imagine…

imagine a player has the same id number for every server – that’d be doable, and then, maybe you could hook up the other server’s stats to the main site by presenting them http xml or rss style. you could do most of that (combined or mulitple main site stats listings) with some server side website trickery. there’d be no need to keep a global database and you could still have independent stats per server.

i think it’s an excellent idea. dont we already have some form of http server in the game server code? (the web based admin control panel?) anyway, awesome. that kind of change could bring 3rd party servers into the mainstream and that’s exactly what this game needs.

also…

something i may have suggested before:

if you could find some way to hook up on-demand mod downloads to a proper main server. thrax, you know this is an issue.

transferring everything from a home internet connection is very restricting. no one wants to wait half an hour to download a 50MB mod – not in this era. people expect fast download speeds. imagine you could host a 200MB mod and have people download it, in , what, 2 or 3 mins is realistic for 2010? you could probably halve that in another couple of years.

try hosting a 200MB mod on standard adsl – youd be looking at an hour and a half upload, easy, even if your connection was dedicated to it.

Thrax
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

yeah, i cant imagine how youd pull that off either.
    there’s no way we’d be able to hook all servers directly to the same mysql db
    the way the game works at the moment, but… ok – i can imagine…

imagine a player has the same id number for every server – that’d be doable,
    and then, maybe you could hook up the other server’s stats to the main site by
    presenting them http xml or rss style. you could do most of that (combined or
    mulitple main site stats listings) with some server side website trickery. there’d
    be no need to keep a global database and you could still have independent
    stats per server.

i think it’s an excellent idea. dont we already have some form of http server in
    the game server code? (the web based admin control panel?) anyway,
    awesome. that kind of change could bring 3rd party servers into the
    mainstream and that’s exactly what this game needs.

also…

something i may have suggested before:

if you could find some way to hook up on-demand mod downloads to a proper
    main server. thrax, you know this is an issue.

transferring everything from a home internet connection is very restricting. no
    one wants to wait half an hour to download a 50MB mod – not in this era.
    people expect fast download speeds. imagine you could host a 200MB mod and
    have people download it, in , what, 2 or 3 mins is realistic for 2010? you could
    probably halve that in another couple of years.

try hosting a 200MB mod on standard adsl – youd be looking at an hour and a
    half upload, easy, even if your connection was dedicated to it.

What he proposed was a diverting from MySql to some other storage and
    tracking method. I am not savy to the full details either.

Mod-storage has been an issue, yes. i’ve already suggested a few things over
    the years, but it still comes back to size..
    If someone ever make’s a mod close to 200mb, they’ve done something terribly
    wrong. And anyone forced to run it would need more than L-T or Vikings PC
    just to load a map in under 10 minutes.

But.. i have already increased my Upload speed, it’s now at around 100kB/s.
    Server auto-dowloads of most regular mods take around a minute or 2, and
    Swars should be recieved in just under 10 minutes.

Ftp leechs of the mods have fallen lately. If it were to be hosted on gavin’s
    forum pc, it would simply mean that the few of us that can upload to it would
    also need update access to the wiki mod-page.

I like my scrolling list method, but could put links on the wiki page just as easily.
    Maybe i could post that page for Gavin to use. The Shout-box there catches a
    few folks with simple questions.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@thrax wrote:

If someone ever make’s a mod close to 200mb, they’ve done something terribly
    wrong. And anyone forced to run it would need more than L-T or Vikings PC
    just to load a map in under 10 minutes.

no, i dont think that’s the case. there’s not necessarily any link at all between total mod size and map load time or the resources needed to play it. a big chunk of that could be per map music, or you might have a ton of different maps with unique textures and models on each, or higher quality explosion sounds.

regardless, we’re probably talking another year or two down the line, arent we? we might have moved to larger landscape sizes by then.

i am with you on some level. i try not to host a mod larger than 3 or 4MB (compressed) as things are, but that’s only for the reasons i mentioned re transfer time.

arent you up around 40MB compressed with swars? (after a lot of tweaking). say you doubled the number of maps and added 5 or 6 high quality mp3’s/ogg. you could easily hit 100MB, even in v42.

Mod-storage has been an issue, yes. i’ve already suggested a few things over
    the years, but it still comes back to size

i dont think mod storage is relevant or has ever been an issue. (unless youre talking about packaging the mod with the game – i might be missing the point). a few hundred mbytes of client side hard drive space won’t make any difference to anyone, and the space the mod takes up once it’s unzipped/uncompressed doesnt necessarily link to the compressed mod transfer size – that depends on the file formats used and eg, whether youve used uncompressed bmp’s, png or lossy jpeg textures. is this a bit off topic? sorry : ) actually, larger mods could end up loading faster and be lighter on resources than smaller ones, depending on why theyre bigger. (there’s probably a bit less overhead when you use bmp’s and wavs instead of png’s and ogg’s).

Ftp leechs of the mods have fallen lately. If it were to be hosted on gavin’s
    forum pc, it would simply mean that the few of us that can upload to it would
    also need update access to the wiki mod-page.

id assume this site is hosted on a proper dedicated server at a data centre*, so it would also mean potential for high speed downloads. (that’s the point) (ie 40,000kbytes/s+ for people with really fast connections and 5 or 10,000 average for a lot of people in europe and the US, compared to your current 100 limit). im sorry if im over emphasising this, but i was worried youre missing the point and i thought it was quite a good idea.

*even if it wasnt, if we could have the game clients link directly to proper paid webspace for on-demand downloads, mod transfer times would no longer be a limiting factor for modders. thrax, id think you of all people would be behind that idea.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@tanksnipe wrote:

Can you PM me again I should have replied to all of my PMs.

TankSnipe
    Participant

@thrax wrote:

@tanksnipe wrote:

I like the idea of a global user registration system that you have
    planned for version 44. Another game I frequent, http://bzflag.org,
    has such a system which I think you might want to look at. Just a suggestion.
    Looking forward to all the improvements. 🙂

It would prevent any non-gavin’s-server host from managing thier own Stats,
    or displaying the Stats for thier servers on thier own home-pages.

I only see the point in this if you wanted to reduce the number of hosts
    around the world.

If you do wish to proceed in this direction, i would request that you make
    it a 3rd option. Along with the File and MySQL forms.

Since changing one letter in a server name can split off a new entry, i can
    see the -global database- becoming very cluttered and even fractured.
    A 3rd-party host wouldn’t be able to access the database to clean up thier
    own mistakes.. without poking into places that could potentially flush
    everything..

Sorry, I should have myself clearer. I didn’t mean to suggest that individual servers shouldn’t manage their own stats. What I did mean to suggest was that each player have a unique id that is centrally managed and tied to the forum in place of having a different id from each server.

Edit: I see laptop wrote what I had in mind.

@gcamp wrote:

@tanksnipe wrote:

Can you PM me again I should have replied to all of my PMs.

Sure, as soon as I get time.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘news’ is closed to new topics and replies.