This topic contains 20 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  jdog 11 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

.–.ShoCkwaVe.–.
    Participant

Lately I have noticed that *Alot* of people have either…

*needed a current build but don’t know how, or where to get it.
    *have problems building themselves.
    *have to *bug* others to get a copy of the current build, & hope it works.

wich had me thinking..

In order for moderators to be able to update their mods so that
    their mod can be released along side scorched releases…

Moderators need 1 place where we can gain Quick & easy Hassle free
    access to builds that stay up to date with the cvs.

Most of us understand that the cvs is always being updated
    wich would make the task of continualy building & uploading
    a pain to do.

However, if it was updated once a week that seems reasonable.
    something like every sunday with a date stamped on it so we
    know if the cvs is current with the build.

I personally think for those who don’t own .net
    or can’t build themselves this would be a great resource
    and would save many people the hassle of trying to get a copy
    or, even having to build it themselves.

I have’nt been able to get a working build for quite a while now
    and its very frustrating to have to annoy others to do favors.
    then wait for them to build it.. then hope it works. 😕

BOY
    Participant

Yes, I do have to ask someone to help me in that department, and most of you know who that person is. 😉 No real issues there, he’s a reliable source for just about all things scorched related…. But, it would be nice to have an official link to the builds as they are completed.

Although I am not knowledgable enough at programming issues to be sure of this, it does seem as though if there is access to the cvs updates automatically, there should be access to the whole download automattically. Why isnt the build avaiable with the rest of the files?

jdog
    Participant

I can see the use of having a current build to test scorch and to keep mods up to date.

As Shockwave has saw and so have I theres a memory bug in the lastes build, plus errors in the main accessories file, easy fix for the accessories, but the memory bug was eating ALOT (over 500MB) of ram on my system and maxing out the cpu.

i have a AMD Athlon 64 3500 cpu and 1.5GB or ram on XP home and a GeForce 6600LE with 256MB ram. No power shortage here.

Bobirov
    Participant

Alright, since its most likely me that started this mess by handing out Windows builds from CVS occasionally, I suppose I will take the bull by the horns and just solve this problem myself.

What I have done is made a post at the ApocHQ forum to help out people that have been using the Windows Scorched 3D builds I make from time to time off of the current code from CVS. What I am going to do is, each time I do a build and post it to the site, I will update this post with the build date. You can use this date to update your copy of the data files and you should be all set.

So there, now you don’t have to bug anyone about it. Just bookmark that post, look at it from time to time and if it is more recent than what you have, download it, update and you’ve got a fairly recent Windows build to play with. 😀

I’m still a bit unsure of the whole time zone thing though. As I am in CST and Gav is in GMT and everyone else is all over the planet so I don’t know exactly what time you should use when updating. Hopefully the date alone will suffice in most cases.

I’ll try to update the build/post once a week or so unless there isn’t anything going on with the code or I’m otherwise unavailable.

Hope this helps.

Rob

EDIT:

And yes, I’m getting that memory leak in the most recent Windows build as well. Its pretty drastic and definately needs to be looked at and fixed.

EDIT (3/6/06):

Okay, so I had good intentions and I made a generous offer here. Too generous, perhaps. We’re going to go about things a little bit differently here. Read on.

cbx550f
    Participant

Couple comments:

1. I haven’t noticed the mem leak in Linux (Maybe just from not running it enough to notice?)

2. The post idea is generally a good one, but, BUT: As anyone who has run “dev” versions knows, you can, and WILL (if you don’t take preventative measures), run into problems with your .scorched3d/* files being changed such that the current version may not work anymore.
    This is a problem that we shouldn’t push upon people without the experience to fix – IMO, running a devel version maybe shouldn’t be a “download and run” bit, as many people who do that will be upset when they have problems either with it, or with running the released version afterwords.

Generally, I like this idea, but trod carefully. 😉

cbx

Side note: this is one of those things that is SO much easier in Linux – dowload the cvs as per the instructions on http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=85144, then a simple compile as per the instructions in the “COMPILING” file.

Bobirov
    Participant

Very good point there cbx. Something to be aware of for sure. The build is mainly intended to be for the mod developers who want to get/keep their mods up to date with the development version of the game, not for everyone else. It is a development version and will have problems and sometimes things won’t work right.

On a side note, one thing I generally do is have my copy of the CVS repository and then in a totally seperate location I keep my actual working copy. That way if I run into trouble with the ‘bleeding edge’ version, I still have my actual working copy that is from my last build back (or further). Just a suggestion.

.–.ShoCkwaVe.–.
    Participant

Yes great points both cbx, and bobirov,

Generaly, My purpose in solving this problem many moders face
    was not to take it upon myself to push this subject for all to see.
    wich I have learned in the past is an iffy subject as many know
    from past experiences.

you are correct cbx betas are not for everyone.

But, only for moderators & people who generalyknow what
    they are doing.. experienced coders/Regulars/ or in the
    learning stages.

I dont want to see a repeat of people passing betas arround
    and players losing their current player id’s while gavin is in
    the middle of programing.

then he gets multiple please help me emails & floods of
    forum what do i do’s.

And he probably gets many bug reports that are not actually bugs
    but not yet completed code.

What works best is not to bug the man unless you have checked
    the todo list, then if you notice a bug that is not listed or talked about
    elsewhere, report it to someone who may be able to help resolve it
    or pass it along uphill.

rather then gavin getting 50 emails about the same bug/issue
    that he then has to feel obligated to open up & read/respond to each indevidual one with the same response.

*very time consuming* wich takes away from developement time.
    & frustrating would be my guess.

heh, if it where me having to deal with so many people/topics
    I would make things easier & just pull out a gun & blow my brains out.

and ofcourse *with any* pre release beta versions
    there is no such thing as”customer support”.

so if you don’t feel that you are capable of identifying &
    solving problems yourself when they occur then it’s probly
    best just to wait for the stable releases & not atempting
    sneak peaks.

ofcourse, I always tell *Moderators* who I give copys to..
    to back up their .scorched folder entirely & further explain that
    scorched either apends to the data there or replaces it automaticly
    when you click on any build version of scorched.exe to prevent data incompatabilitys & errors.

thus, you simply make backup folders in .scorched/oldmods
    and name it v40 & v39 .. then it’s just a matter of deleteing
    the .scorched data files *except* oldmods before clicking any scorched.exe

it will then auto throw mods into oldmods & replace data.

so when you want to switch back to release versions its just a matter of re deleting the data & moving your existing data back from oldmods/backup/v39.

or you could just do as rob suggests & make it easier on yourself
    if you dont want scorched to throw mods into oldmods is to

Quote:

One thing you should do though is move your v40 test copy to your v40 client’s data/globalmods directory. That way 39.1 can’t move the mod to the ‘oldmods’ folder when you run it, which could get annoying.

________dont lose your Player ID_________

your ids.xml is your current id that identifys you when you connect to servers wich holds your stats info that matches you to it.
    so now that thats clear. we understand what we are doing :

and thank you robert, for making it possible for others to get
    the builds & helping us *as usual*.

though I was’nt expecting it would be you doing so.

I hope I did’nt rock any boats wich was’nt my intention!
    but to mearly make it easier for moders/people intrested
    in developement who for the most part know what they are doing.

cheers

.–.ShoCkwaVe.–.
    Participant

@jdog wrote:

I can see the use of having a current build to test scorch and to keep mods up to date.

As Shockwave has saw and so have I theres a memory bug in the lastes build, plus errors in the main accessories file, easy fix for the accessories, but the memory bug was eating ALOT (over 500MB) of ram on my system and maxing out the cpu.

i have a AMD Athlon 64 3500 cpu and 1.5GB or ram on XP home and a GeForce 6600LE with 256MB ram. No power shortage here.

yes about that memory leak/error

@ jdog

normally these types of errors don’t occur

I am assuming that in *pure speculation*
    this is not a bug.

sometimes we get builds that are’nt quite completed.
    either 1 of 3 things has occured.

1) the person who built it has been feeling under the weather
    lately after just getting over the flu and was nagged into a hurry up
    & build one to shut him up episode and possibly has
    made some mistakes in the making of the build or
    some other error has occured during that process…

2) we happend to have updated the cvs & build at the point
    where Gavin is probly just in the middle of (or) in the process
    of working in code & its not yet at a good point of working state…
    as he is always experimenting or adding new features & code.

3) it is a bug, and it’s best not to use the build until gavin makes
    changes & updates the cvs & rob makes us a new build.

as cbx noted, It seems to be ok on linux
    However, I myself will wait for that glitch to be fixed
    before attempting to use it.

wich I strongly suggest to others as it could do damage.
    when memory climbs too high at an alarming rate chances
    are nothing good is going to come out of it.

this is just one of the types of good examples of why betas are/should
    not be made available for everyone especially those who don’t know
    what they are doing.

and now that the poll topic problem is fixed for moderators
    thanks to roberts willingness to help moders & hope for the best.

we may want to leave this topic up just to show others why
    when dealing in the iffy beta availability topic it has its pros & cons.

read carefully

so getting your paws on a beta is doing so at your own risk
    and furthermore should something bad happen,
    example:such as your cpu frys

No one is held at fault but your own, and can hold NO liability
    to anyone but yourself.

jdog
    Participant

Yes, I can see that it may not be a bug, but it is something weird. I’m going to wait till either another build comes out or a stable release to try again. This time I’ll remember to keep the task manager open and watch the cpu and memory usage and stop it if it happens again.

BOY
    Participant

in regards to this issue, no, Bobirov, its not a mess at all. In fact, posting the link for all to use, is probably not a good idea, based on the warnings contained above.

OOOO! I just had an idea….. I’ll get back to you on it 😉

BOY
    Participant

Shockwave and jdog have now been added to the Developer usergroup by gcamp. 8)

I’ll move Bobirov’s build download link to the private forum as soon as Bobirov reads this 😉 or, he can add/edit posts as necessary.

Bobirov
    Participant

@boy wrote:

I’ll move Bobirov’s build download link to the private forum as soon as Bobirov reads this 😉 or, he can add/edit posts as necessary.

Ya, I’ll move the build post from ApocHQ to the private developer forum here when I get some more time. What this will mean is that you will need to be a forum admin or a member of the developer group to view the information about the CVS builds I make. I am also thinking I will remove the archive from my host and I will instead post the builds in a new seperate module under the scorched3d CVS tree. That should make it easier to see if it has been updated simply by checking out the module. This should prevent the majority of the noob mistakes/questions.

I have also been made the moderator of the developer group, so if you are working on a large mod and would like to access the CVS builds, you’ll need to notify me first so I can get you on the list. I will not accept just anybody, mainly people who have more established mods. Shockwave and Jdog have already been added, and I can think of a few others that might be good candidates (Panther/Raptor). Anyways if I have missed/forgotten you, I’m sorry, but you’ll need to bring it to my attention and don’t be surprised if I say no because I don’t want the dev forum to be spammed.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Not sure about adding them to the scorched3d CVS, unless you are starting a new CVS project. Perhaps using the file release system on sourceforge would be better (although more time consuming).

.–.ShoCkwaVe.–.
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

Not sure about adding them to the scorched3d CVS, unless you are starting a new CVS project. Perhaps using the file release system on sourceforge would be better (although more time consuming).

well im just glad the *overall topic* is resolved & the people who
    need it can get it & at the same time avoid/ prevent people who don’t know what they are doing from making things messy for themselves (or)any developers.

😳 sorry and Im glad its over

its ok for any admin just to completely yank this post down
    if you so feel it would be best.

thanks again guys

jdog
    Participant

Thanks Bobirov, for all the help, this will make keeping my mod up todate a little easier, code wise that is.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.