This topic contains 12 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  cbx550f 10 years, 12 months ago.

• Author

Willis
    Participant

Sill working in Ubuntu here…

Not sure why this would suddenly happen… I was using it a couple days ago without any problems..

But currently text in the game is not displaying correctly. Thier viewing as empty squares and symbols.

You can see right from the attachment… it only occures in the game-instance window. And ALL text in that window apears strange.. it’s not just a limited occurance.

What may be the problem? A font going bad? If so anyone know which scorched uses?

Or what may be the problem? (if I can get through without reinstalling.. that would be nice 😉 )

cbx550f
    Participant

It looks like your freetype fonts have gotten messed up…
    Not sure how or why that might happen, but try reinstalling freetype.

Willis
    Participant

I tried that, didn’t work so easily. But I did figure out the cause… sorta…

It’s XGL. I changed my session back to normal Gnome and it worked without problem.

So chances are it’s not configured to understand FreeType.

I made a topic on the ubuntu forums about it .. I got no clue where to look.

Deathstryker
    Participant

Invite CBX to your house and have him tutor you. Make sure to stock up on booze and smokes first though.

cbx550f
    Participant

Willis, in the “Module” section of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf, do you have:
    Load “freetype”?

Invite CBX to your house and have him tutor you. Make sure to stock up on booze and smokes first though.

ROFL!

Irishbandit
    Participant

This is interesting i had the same problems with xgl switch back to xorg and it works fine.

cbx550f
    Participant

I’ll try to test in XGL on mine a bit later and let you know.

Also, I’m SURE that I have seen someone else post the identical problem using xorg/X11 in the past. I did a quick search but didn’t find it, you may have better luck.

Irishbandit
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

I’ll try to test in XGL on mine a bit later and let you know.

Also, I’m SURE that I have seen someone else post the identical problem using xorg/X11 in the past. I did a quick search but didn’t find it, you may have better luck.

Yes its about 2 thread down from this.

Willis
    Participant

freetype is listed in there, *shrugs*

Willis
    Participant

Hey followup questoin guys… maybe a clue / the answer to this issue…

Gavin / whoever can answer.. about Direct OpenGL Rendering… does it play a role (specificly) on text and fonts?

Or is it bigger picture like the game as a whole? <– This is what I thought..

Apearently, XGL does not support direct rendering.

Keep in mind while running under XGL I can launch the game, and enter the 3D world of scorched. But all text become jumbled masses of characters, some even constantly changing characters. The game runs slow, like there being lag, but I suspect it’s becuase I was under the “tutorial” mode and it was making a huge effort to process these faulty characters.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

They system fonts are “drawn” to a set of textures, one for each letter. I guess you would get issues if the game cannot get the fonts correctly, or cannot create the textures.

Assuming the game cannot get the fonts correctly, the slowdown may be because the texture sizes it created for each letter were very big.

cbx550f
    Participant

Just a note – if you can’t get direct rendering going in XGL, I wouldn’t even bother trying to run Scorched. 😉

Willis
    Participant

lol yeh, that must have been a mis-print by them CBX as the core game itself works. Owell I gave up on the issue, I figured since its not a problem with scorched I can game without XGL.

cbx550f
    Participant

@willis wrote:

lol yeh, that must have been a mis-print by them CBX as the core game itself works. Owell I gave up on the issue, I figured since its not a problem with scorched I can game without XGL.

Well, it depends on where you look and also when it was “printed” as to whether or not XGL supports direct rendering – it’s still fairly early in the devel cycle, and has TONS of wrinkles to iron out. (Still pretty darned cool though ;))

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.