This topic contains 24 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  imported_gcamp 6 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

yusuf
    Participant

Sorry for so many posts on this topic on the news section .. i decided to shift this here .. now i want to know if there are any improvisations that anyone wold like to suggest .. and if like a few developers to please help me code this to get it started right away .. (thrax, gavin etc) ..

here is what i have done so far .. works exactly like the current one .. clicking the power box will show previously adjusted power .. similarly for elevation and rotation boxes .. clicking the weapon box will show current available weapons etc etc

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

nice. i love the presentation, yusuf. very professional.

i like glass. but only ’cause its fun : )
    [attachment=1:t9e5ucmi]glassringa.png[/attachment:t9e5ucmi][attachment=0:t9e5ucmi]glassringb.png[/attachment:t9e5ucmi]

yusuf
    Participant

aaoow! that certainly looks fantastic laptop, but it would spoil the rest of the interface dont u think? on the side note, 3d for an interface does not go with my standard of perception. specially when we have a war game to think of. It only goes with strategy games like age of empires and such. . maybe we could make 3d icons for scorched .

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

yes. i was just showing off really. had half an hour to kill.

regarding a 3d interface, i think we could probably make something work in 3d if we had to… but i think youre right. accurate, true to life 3d representations often look wrong to most peoples eyes.

a 2d interface (that is, as opposed to supplying the game with 3d models) stands to be much cleaner and gives the chance to compensate for 3d perception problems. itd probably be easier to code, too.

@yusuf wrote:

aaoow! that certainly looks fantastic laptop, but it would spoil the rest of the interface dont u think? on the side note, 3d for an interface does not go with my standard of perception. specially when we have a war game to think of. It only goes with strategy games like age of empires and such. . maybe we could make 3d icons for scorched .

yusuf
    Participant

yes laps .. (love the showing off) .. wont bother to show of my own stuff here though ..

anyway i was thinking of making a flash preview of this, but iam not sure i can do it very well .. i was hoping u could probably do it lap ? ill try though ..

i polished it a bit further .. reason iam posting every change i make is that i want to make the developers aware of how iam going about it .. so they can stop me when they think its not going the right way ..

yusuf
    Participant

HI again all ..

finally i have managed to put together my GIF file for the animated preview of this GUI system 🙂 🙂 .. many thanx to laptops daddy for his help ..

also i have included a better quality .swf file for those who can play it ..

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Looks good, perhaps a cleared seperation beween the power and the evelvation is needed but other than that seems good. I’ll start thinking about how to implement it.

yusuf
    Participant

oh thats cool gavin .. thank you ..

there is no need for a separation though .. actually i make a mistake whilst making the GIF .. the origin of the power bar and angle bar is the same that is the left hand side .. so to power rises from left to right top as opposed to the one showed in GIF which goes from right to the left 😛

naka
    Participant

Where it is designed? For the weapon window, or for the tank on the terrain?
    the tank on the terrain have almost perfect aiming, It is very simple and suitable for playing.

This is what i am thinking about the weapon window:
    1. The power must not be semi circle. the power is lineal and it is better shown as bar, not a circle.
    2. It is better that all numbers power/elev/rot/ stay close each others. as it is in the current window. When i aim my vision stay only on the numbers.
    3. Any changes to the interface should be optional. Users may like the new radical changes or may not like. At least the current one gui is very convenient, and it does the work very well.

yusuf
    Participant

hey naka..

This will replace the weapons panel as i have posted in the news section .

1) I thought of the power bar thing earlier .. making it a straight bar would look out of place with reference to the orb .. when u say players would understand a straight bar better, i would disagree to a certain extent. Numerous games have power or health bars that are as i have made. And the power bar also represents the health in scorched (as the lower life the lower power available for use) it makes more sense to have it circular as in a more obvious heath bar .

2) to have the numbers elev/rot/angl together was also thought of. If we have it like u said, it would be very difficult to understand what represents what .. the thing i have posted is faster to understand for a new player as it each dial is placed near its animated pictogram..

3) as for any changes to the interface, i guess thats for mrG to decide .. we can surely have a poll conducted for the change etc:

although we can have this go around a tank instead of the weapons window.. that would completely minimize the interface area while keeping all the controls intact .. it is an interesting idea for sure. if it were to be around the tank, we could have it completely transparent, and only when the player places his mouse pointer near the tank or makes changes to his shots, the orb would appear .. but now its designed to replace the weapons panel ..

imported_gcamp
    Participant

You could still make it stylized (round) but easier to read by doing something like this I guess.

Red = power
    Blue = shield
    Green = life

rotation under tank.
    elevation on left.

Appologies for the bad mockup.

I had put in support for the circular displays but something didn’t quite gell with it.

yusuf
    Participant

hmm.. to be honest mr.G, i have started to dislike my own concept .. but i wouldn’t deviate from the path too much .. i still would like it simplistic .. so here is my new mockup ..

P.S. – point of mistakes for me ?

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

I think you risk making it too complicated. (‘specially gavins, which ive looked at 3 times and still dont understand : P ). A new interface would be nice, though.

I dont understand why you need a graphical representation of rotation, and I think I agree with naka, the power metre would be better as a bar.

How about if you had a kind of floating compass, like this:
    [attachment=0:3d9msu6x]compass.gif[/attachment:3d9msu6x]
    Having it track the camera rotation with a kind of delayed, compass style catch up. (and possibly without having east and west the wrong way round : ). It prob wouldnt serve much purpose, but it might look cool.

A few things id like to see are:

Power and elevation numbers (all the numbers) positionable through xml, so we can align the digits to the widgets, not the other way around.

A prettier pink aiming triangle (maybe transparent). (I think theres still a small prob with transparency, where effects and water are invisible when viewed through anything semi-transparent (translucent : ). Itd be nice to see that fixed.)

And while im on requests, could we get an xml settable parameter for cloud movement speed. (as a multiple). (might be cool to have fast moving clouds on some levels).

and vague idea re shield power remaining:

Could you have the shields change colour as they get damaged?

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@yusuf wrote:

hmm.. to be honest mr.G, i have started to dislike my own concept .. but i wouldn’t deviate from the path too much .. i still would like it simplistic .. so here is my new mockup ..

P.S. – point of mistakes for me ?

Looks pretty good, nice and simple.

yusuf
    Participant

so mr G ? what do u plan? are u working on getting this system into the game? by next release i hope if ur answer is yes .. i should post my final concept if u think u can spare sometime and modify some codes to get this working ..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.