This topic contains 10 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Willis 10 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

JiNx
    Participant

just an email that i got today that that i thought id share

Obituary

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life isn’t always fair, and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don’t spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not children, are in charge). His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place.

Reports of a six-year- old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they themselves failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer Panadol, sun lotion or a Band Aid to a student – but could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband, churches became businesses, and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldn’t defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar can sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live after a woman failed to realise that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason.

He is survived by three stepbrothers; I Know My Rights, Someone Else is to Blame, and I’m A Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realised he was gone.

If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.

SHACK
    Participant

🙁 it makes me tear up a bit.

Deathstryker
    Participant

Yeah, people are dumb. And it seems like they are only going to get more dumb.

Ebonite
    Participant

Who?

Spectrum
    Participant

The sad thing is most of that is true in America these days. 😥

JiNx
    Participant

and the uk to aswell

Viking62
    Participant

😯 Out here in the Rural community in which I live;We are still not politically correct. You will still see a child bow thier head to pray before they eat (even in school)-as you drive down the roads or highways….You will wear your arms out waving back to fellow motorists-You wont see a child throwing a fit in public & if you do….it dooesnt last long….with a swat or scolding from Dad or Mom-If your parked along side a road…someone stops and asks if your ok-If Wal/mart shuts down….we still have food to eat (home canned food)-Electricity kicks out….we are still warm/can cook (wood backup)-Oh Yeah….If a nieghbor needs help…the word gets spread through the valley…& we halp.
    Common sense might of died in most places nowadays……….But,the human spirit & good will is alive and well here 😉

BTW-Good post Jinxy 8)

BOY
    Participant

VIk, you make me want to get out of the city!

I have read that email before once, its all sadly true, except the old lady who got burned by coffee. She was old and frail and the coffee was hot enough that she was burned rather badly on her genitals. (So i heard)

Yep, I just said genitals. TWICE!

jdog
    Participant

@boy wrote:

I have read that email before once, its all sadly true, except the old lady who got burned by coffee. She was old and frail and the coffee was hot enough that she was burned rather badly on her genitals. (So i heard)

Yep, I just said genitals. TWICE!

Coffee is going to be hot and it was plain stupid to be sticking hot coffee between your legs while driving!

BOY
    Participant

you have a good point, but what sort of price should you have to pay for such a mundane mistake. Weeks in the hospital recovering from burns on your privates?

Deathbal
    Participant

The point is, was the place that sold her the coffee at fault? The settlement was for 2 Mil. Then dropped to 200k on appeal. It just seems like people are never at fault for the bad things that happen to them. Someone else always has to take the blame. Someone is always looking to be compensated when in fact they were probably partly to blame.

Willis
    Participant

*gives his eulogy*

Alas, poor common sense, I knew ye well.

Ye still lives in the hearts of many, your teachings will never be forgotten.

I remember once you told me “Do the smart thing, do your homework.” .. I didn’t listen to you then, and look where I am today.

You put up the fight to survive, but alas outnumbered. So go now and rest, your goal is now our goal.

*eulogy done*

Anyway yeah, so much of that is probably true no mater where you live in the world. (But definitely in the US.) And as far as that coffee incident… yes I remember being told the coffee was much hotter then it should have been.. but come on .. as I recall.. the lady looked like a frail elderly person … anything could burn at that age.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.