This topic contains 40 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Deathstryker 10 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Apollo Tangent
    Participant

I have noticed that players resigning rounds has become quite popular again, essentially denying kills.

Please review the stats page. It will give you some insight into this matter.

So I’d like to ask for some opinions on the matter from the community.

Should there be a penalty for resigning out?

Should a resign count as a kill when 2 players are left in a round?

Should a resign equal a – 2 to the player who resigns?

Should a monetary penalty be charged for resigning?

Or should it be kept as it is?

Any other suggestions would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

Apollo

Deathstryker
    Participant

Haven’t you read the TODO lately?

“Added: New resign option to make tanks resign at end of round depending on how much health they have”

Willis
    Participant

Well.. I too have seen some resigners perk up – but I’ve never fallen victum to one yet.

If I have in the gameplay so far was in fear of that happening to me – I don’t know becuase none have survived that long. As the fact resigning ends after all shots and dangers are completed. Typical resigner won’t resign “for the heck of it”. Their most likely on their death bed down to their last health points. In which case the attacker should be able to strike them down anyway.

But I won’t leave my comment at that, becuase I know that the “damage first shot kill second shot” theory does not apply always. One of the largest reasons why is people forget the little adjustments needed to account for maybe improved shot (say first shot does 45% damage – think second shot if identical can pick up 55%? not likely). Or to adjust for changes in terrain. Say explosions offset the path of a napalm or roller…. or a drop in targets elevation.

Little changes like that do cause for missing. Likewise the other senerio’s are if the attacker does not live that long. Maybe they do 80% damage but get killed that same shot. Or instead of dieing / being hurt enough – THEY are adjusted in elevation or something which proves their current shot a failure.

There are numerous small examples out there, point is its not always so simple to judge.

So whats my point? I guess all in all I’d just say leave things for now. I cannot think of a justified “punishment” that would all agree upon (we’ve had this same conversation before – and I’m just going with what we concluded the last time… nothing changed excpt resigns get moved at end of round).

If anything, if it grows extremly consistant – 2 things: first being the resign button is limited to the first half of the shot clock. Going back to the logic if a person plans to resign they know they will right away, dont let them delay it.

Also, global messages saying:
    “Player has chosen to Skip his turn.”
    “Player has chosen to Resign from the round.”

upon the time they decide. Skipping should not be locked on a time period becuase, unlike resigning wether they skip or not the player will still be there. Its just that a skip even at the last second is better then a missed turn.

This reminds me – the missed turn comments when a person does so – it says a person has 2 more, 1 more, then kick… Maybe Gavin change it to – at the first miss – say player has 1 more missed turn allowed. Second miss – say player exaused misses, will be kicked next miss.
    third – KICK.

Apollo Tangent
    Participant

Death… please go to the bottom of the current stats… at the bottom of the table click on sort by resigns.

Then refer to the last ranking run and sort those…

You’ll probably see that the top ranked players this run have resigned more often so far than the top group of players did throughout the entire ranking cycle.

Then if you don’t think that my post is justified… Tell me so, but there is no need to be condecending in your reply.

Take a look

Apollo

Deathstryker
    Participant

Geez Apollo, I wasn’t trying to be mean. I was just wondering. Can you not wait for the next version?

Apollo Tangent
    Participant

Here you go Deathstryker, I did it for you.

Current rank 1-10 for this cycle = 32 resigns so far.

Total rank 1-10 players from the entire last cycle who resigned = 10

Now you tell me…

Apollo

Deathstryker
    Participant

So what are you wanting done about it? I myself, could just wait for a new version.

Willis
    Participant

Give it time apollo, the reset is only a few days old.. let the stats adjust and eventually I bet those given resigners will get pushed lower in rankes by others.

Time is on our side.

hobbesme
    Participant

@Apollo Tangent wrote:

I have noticed that players resigning rounds has become quite popular again, essentially denying kills.

So I’d like to ask for some opinions on the matter from the community.

Should there be a penalty for resigning out?
    Should a resign count as a kill when 2 players are left in a round?
    Should a resign equal a – 2 to the player who resigns?
    Should a monetary penalty be charged for resigning?

Or should it be kept as it is?

As most of you know, I favor resigning as a valid tactic/strategy.

@hobbesme wrote:

I understand the frustration [resigning] causes & have been on the receiving end. But to me that’s just part of the frustrating fun this game is.

Which is why I’ve stated that resigning/retreating should be kept as is. It should be allowed at no greater/lesser penalty than removing yourself from the battlefield, where therefore you cannot score any more kills or win the round.

However to appease anti-resigners, several months ago I proposed a Random-Retreat Feature. I believe this feature COULD appease both those in favor & those opposed to resigning.

@willis wrote:

the resign button is limited to the first half of the shot clock.

Although you have previously suggested this resign announcement, I oppose this retreat announcement, since retreating would no more be announced to one’s opponents than your firing solutions or other tactics.

I do find it ironic that Apollo is now frustrated with resigning! 🙂 :

@Apollo Tangent [Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:43 am] wrote:

Resigning is a covert way to frustrate other players … One of the things that makes the game fun is the fact that it can be frustrating.

Resigning is a form of Psi-Op. I think a good resign should be taken as a compliment. At least you get points ($) for your hit. Alas the Points don’t amp up your stats because the data base does not consider those as having any value.

I have resigned, I have said that I was going to… yet didn’t… in order to survive a volley… whatever it takes to plant the “frustration seed” short of verbal abuse…

It’s also ironic how some players playing tactics/strategies preferences seem hypocritical.

For instance, a majority of players oppose resigning — and have repeatedly called for changing the game mechanics to discourage resigning.

But similar players enjoy the current shield settings — and oppose changing the game mechanics, instead tell opposing players to adapt & learn new skills.

I find it ironic, at least.

@deathstryker wrote:

“Added: New resign option to make tanks resign at end of round depending on how much health they have”

Is this my Random-Retreat Feature I’ve been promoting for months?

It sounds like it might be, but the wording does not accurately repeat the idea.

I certainly hope this feature is implemented since resigning is a controversial but available tactic & some people seemed to favor my Random-Retreat idea.

Deathstryker
    Participant

@H0bb3z wrote:

Deathstryker wrote:

Is this my Random-Retreat Feature I’ve been promoting for months?

It sounds like it might be, but the wording does not accurately repeat the idea.

I certainly hope this feature is implemented since resigning is a controversial but available tactic & some people seemed to favor my Random-Retreat idea.

I believe this is (in part) your idea. Although I don’t remember ever talking about it taking place at the end of a round.

guy parker
    Participant

I think I might have been the one “resigner” who pushed AT’s button. Sorry AT, I wasn’t trying to provoke an outrage. Now, let me explain it from my point of view.

I was in a game with AT, and others, it was the first “BBM only” round of the game. I shot some other people, killed them, someone else shot me knocked me down to 4 health, and then it was just me and AT. I was even kind enough to say, “you’ve got one shot”. Which he missed, and I resigned. Next match he asks me why I resign. I explain it’s because I had no chance to hit him, and because it also denies him a bit of cash. I guess that irked him cause he left right after that.

I see resigning as an option built into the game, and as such, it can be used as a strategy when you have no other options left. You have to take one turn where you don’t fire or move and survive that, and then you can exit if you survive. I think it’s perfectly balanced. And the ability to deny someone a kill, and cash, is also strategy. Heck, if there was a financial bomb that stole money but did no damage I know I’d use it and it would be used against me too. This game has many aspects, not just how well you can shoot and I like all the aspects of it.

I don’t think there should be any penalty for resigning, or else there would be no point in it even being an option, you may as well kill yourself. I also see the “top players” more as a group of people who have a lot of time to play this game. I happen to be in the top 10 just because I didn’t have jack sh** to do this weekend, but most of the time i’m more busy than that so I’m not able to rack up so many kills.

But I guess this resign option could be put to a vote. I like it, and don’t mind it being “used against me”. at least they stick around one round and when they are gone you win, or you can re-target. I really hate when someone disconnects and just dissappears right off the map who you were aiming at, that’s worse than a resign but just something that happens sometimes.

Apollo Tangent
    Participant

I do find it ironic that Apollo is now frustrated with resigning! 🙂 :

@Apollo Tangent [Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:43 am] wrote:

Resigning is a covert way to frustrate other players … One of the things that makes the game fun is the fact that it can be frustrating.

Resigning is a form of Psi-Op. I think a good resign should be taken as a compliment. At least you get points ($) for your hit. Alas the Points don’t amp up your stats because the data base does not consider those as having any value.
    I have resigned, I have said that I was going to… yet didn’t… in order to survive a volley… whatever it takes to plant the “frustration seed” short of verbal abuse…

It’s also ironic how some players playing tactics/strategies preferences seem hypocritical.

Yes, I reformed my views on the matter. And most of the other regular players in the game, (the last ranking cycle) did as well.

Although it seems hypocritical to you now, I did conform to the standards set and observed by my peers. I had zero resigns for the entire cycle.

http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/stats/playerstats.php?Prefix=1&Series=1&PlayerID=8

Apollo

Deathstryker
    Participant

Although it seems hypocritical to you now, I did conform to the standards set and observed by my peers. I had zero resigns for the entire cycle.

Well come on man, rub it in their faces and let them know who the real warrior is! Don’t let this incident get you down!

The Funkinator
    Participant

Well as I’m being refered to directly by AT I guess I’d better respond.

I don’t think resigning is broken as is, I agree with willis about messages saying that someone is going to resign are a good thing ™. I also agree with the idea about having to be on low health in order to resign (possibly without batteries).

I can see how other players may find resigning annoying at times, I personally find the fact that many players use the same tactics highly annoying and try not to use the typical shield/digger/baby roller tactic that is so common.

Because other players find people who use funky bombs annoying, should we ban funky bombs, or death’s heads ?

I can see a thread on that topic in the distance, it seems some people just don’t like my tactics.

Personally if someone resigns on me, I’d congratulate ’em on it.

There is another issue, games get very long and boring with the shield tactics for those that can’t afford the shields, people resigning when they have no power left just speeds the game up if they are not disposed of quickly.

Whilst we’re on the subject of tactics I don’t like, I find truces highly annoying, it’s like if me and a friend both played at the same time and we never shot at each other (fortunately I haven’t seen anyone using truces over multiple rounds with the same person).

And something else I find annoying that everyone will agree on is people who bury themselves in dirt in order to get round wins.

The point is, just because I find something annoying doesn’t mean it should be removed from the game, I personally would welcome anything to make the gameplay faster, whilst being fairly highly dependant upon the skill of the player. (and I’m well aware I’m not the most skilled player out there, it’s not something I claim to be good at).

-The Funkinator

Sucks that my first post on these boards has to be in response to someone who’s effectively having a go at me (he all but mentioned my name in his post).

Apollo Tangent
    Participant

yup funkinator here is a tidbit from your stats 🙂

Weapon Armslevel Kills
    Death’s Head 2
    kills 86

Funky Bomb 3
    kills 48

Baby Missile 10
    Kills 38

Digger 7
    Kills 38

I’m speaking for myself, but using resigning as a tool is one thing… when you have more kills with Death’s Heads rather than baby missles is another.

Apollo

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.