This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Rommel 9 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

parasti
    Participant

This is a feature request.

Any chance of having a client-side chat filter implemented? How about dumping the annoying baby-sitting server-side filter that tries to outsmart everyone including itself and letting me decide what is “bad language” myself?

*** *nother way:

Sat Aug 18 22:38:17 2007 – eskargo (Dead): server side is censorship, client side is preference

(For those not in the know, “*** *nother” is a reference to the silly filter filtering out a perfectly valid English construct “*** *”. I mean “***-*”… Uh, I meant “* * * *”. Crap.)

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Could do, as with many of these simple requests it’s not as easy as it may sound 🙂

The reason the filtering is done server side it not out of preference. If the game was to filter client side then I would have to ship the bad word list with the game client, or by default the client would do no filtering. Since the game is open source and other games have come under flak for shipping a text file full of bad words I decided against it.

However, I could make the filtering a client side option if you want.

parasti
    Participant

That’s an interesting rationale. I hadn’t considered that at all.

The biggest (if not the only) advantage of a client-side filter would be the user’s ability to modify the list of words to filter. Your proposed solution doesn’t sound half bad but it does not provide that ability.

So here’s a new proposition, taking the distribution factor into account: have a client-side option, a choice between “use server-provided list”, “use my list”, “don’t filter”, with the “server-provided” as default. Then you could also have the filtering done client-side, but with these choices it doesn’t seem as important any more.

Rommel
    Participant

Not that I care very much either way…@gcamp wrote:

Could do, as with many of these simple requests it’s not as easy as it may sound 🙂

The reason the filtering is done server side it not out of preference. If the game was to filter client side then I would have to ship the bad word list with the game client, or by default the client would do no filtering. Since the game is open source and other games have come under flak for shipping a text file full of bad words I decided against it.

However, I could make the filtering a client side option if you want.

English isn’t the only language spoken here and unless the word list includes all known languages, it’s very easy to curse someone in another language. This being the case, I’d prefer to see the filter eliminated entirely. Having had a server in operation without one, I have seen times when I found it prudent to send a message to a player asking them to tone it down but generally haven’t seen a real need for the filter.

It’s nice that I can still say assist on the main server even though it comes across as ***isst on Apoc HQ FFA. 🙄

For what this is worth, I think that we need to stick to more pressing issues for the time being. This might be a good topic to kick around after there is nothing else left to discuss.

Rommel

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.