This topic contains 10 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  hobbesme 13 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

se5a
    Participant

updated my game. anyway…

is there a way to make the game (thinking mainly simultaneous games) a bit more chat frendly?
    im thinking instead of opening the chat window when ever you want to say something. haveing a permanaint(ish) window open which displays the chat and where you just have to click and type…
    if it would be possable to keep it while the game was rendering the next map it would be great to.

at the moment if your not keeing an eye on the botom of the screen you can miss something said…

gota have some time to gloat over your one shot kill 😉

cbx550f
    Participant

If you hit the backquote (ie: same key as ~ on US style keyboards) it brings up the console which shows chat history (and kills etc). Page up/down works in there too.

cbx

Willis
    Participant

As far as friendlier chat aproaches, maybe have a form of, wordwrap or something? Considering how window sizes are pre-defined have the text length be determained and if it would stretch then shift it into multiple lines;

cbx550f
    Participant

Yeah, I agree, Willis. The only thing about that is I (personally) would want a max of 2 lines – keep people from writing novels or spamming the chat.

Ebonite
    Participant

how about a way to add chat macros? a one-key hit will bring up a pre-entered chat line. i.e.
    Hi.
    Bye.
    Ah nutz, i missed the buy screen.
    etc.
    these whould have a short max char limit and would need 5 seconds before another macro could be used, or maybe only one macro can be used per shot so another timer would not have to be implemented. a player could use the normal chat command as usual.

Bobirov
    Participant

I wouldn’t mind seeing a private message system of some sort as well. Something like typing /t , or something similar into the text box. A “reply” and “retell” (/reply or /rp and /retell or /rt) system for it would be handy for reducing the amount of typing required to reply to someone or keep talking to the same person. Anyone else think this would be good or bad?

Ebonite
    Participant

good 😀

hobbesme
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

If you hit the backquote (ie: same key as ~ on US style keyboards) it brings up the console which shows chat history (and kills etc). Page up/down works in there too.

Although I use this feature extensively to catch up on chat that has already scrolled off the main screen, there is one problem with the back history of chat in the console window :

Every time new chat or event text is added into the console window, it automatically jumps back down to the “bottom” of the console where the new text has just been added.

This can be exceptionally annoying if you are page-up scrolling to older text entries. If you want to read a previous comment that has scrolled off the page or one from a few minutes ago, it is near impossible to scroll back that far as new player or game text will continue to automatically jump back to the “bottom” of the console text.

This is a very common behavior for consoles & IM clients, but it is very annoying. If there is an easy way to remove this behavior from the console, I know I would appreciate it.

Also, IMO there is a major omission in the console text — game winner & final game stats.

For instance, at the end of each game, it says in graphic text, “[PlayerSoAndSo | Red | Green] Team is the Winner” & also brings up the final game stats window.

However, this ending game information is NOT added to the console. If you happen to miss it or would like to read it for longer than the default display time, you can’t.

And since most every other game message is added to the console text history, it seems odd that this important information is NOT added to the console text history.

Ebonite
    Participant

something I would like to see as well. Like when I’m browsing, i’ll get the end of round beep, but not know who won. I can piece it together from lookng at the score, but since I open the console to catch up on all the chat anyway, it would be nice if this info was logged there as well. Excellent point, hobbes.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

What a useful thread.

it would be nice if this info was logged there as well. Excellent point, hobbes.

Added this.

Every time new chat or event text is added into the console window, it automatically jumps back down to the “bottom” of the console where the new text has just been added.

Fixed this. Anoyed me too.

Also, IMO there is a major omission in the console text — game winner & final game stats.

Added this.

how about a way to add chat macros? a one-key hit will bring up a pre-entered chat line. i.e.

You can already do this. You can bind keys to console commands. One such command is :

say "blah"

Which will say this to everyone.

The teamsay console command is missing and I have just added it.

A “reply” and “retell”

In the new version each time you say something it is added to the console as a say command. This way you can resay it by going into the console and choosing the command again.

I will have a look at the other comments but I am not too sure about an chat window that is part of the background. I’ll have a think.

Bobirov
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

In the new version each time you say something it is added to the console as a say command. This way you can resay it by going into the console and choosing the command again.

That is handy, but not quite what I was referring to. I’ll elaborate a bit to make it more clear as to what I meant. For the sake of argument lets say that the new version comes with a private message system (eg seen only by the sender and the recipient) that is used typing “/sayto or /st username, message” in the chat window. In this little scenario, we are in a game and one person (PersonA) sees another person that he wants to say something to in private (PersonB).

Now then, PersonA types “/sayto PersonB, hello there!” into the chat console. Typing this would send a private message to PersonB. In PersonB’s chat area, he sees something like “(private) PersonA: hello there!”. If nothing else exists but the sayto command, PersonB would then type “/sayto PersonA, hi” to reply in private and they could carry on a conversation or whatever.

Now here is where the “reply” and “retell” commands would come into play. Lets go back to just after PersonA sent his private message to PersonB. Instead of typing the sayto command and the name of the recipient he invokes the “reply” command by typing “/reply hi” (or /rp …) into the chat window. This command automatically sends a private message to the last person that messaged the user (PersonA in this case). PersonA then receives a private message from PersonB saying “hi”.

Here PersonA could then use the reply command to respond again but instead he opts to use the final “retell” command. To do this he enters “/retell This game is soooo cool!” (or /rt …) into the chat window. This command then automatically sends a private message to the last person that the user messaged (PersonB here, the first message that was sent). PersonB then receives the final message in his chat area saying “(private) PersonA: This game is soooo cool!” From here, both users could keep using retell to message eachother without having to type eachother’s usernames each time or worry if someone else messages them.

That’s what I was referring to about the little reply and retell system. Its pretty standard in some MMO games. It isn’t perfect or anything but it is much better than having to type out the name of the recipient EVERY time you want to send a private message to someone (especially when names are long and complex and there is no “partial typing of names” allowed). Of course this is all dependant on whether or not a pm function is fully implemented in the first place.. 😉

hobbesme
    Participant

@bobirov wrote:

That’s what I was referring to about the little reply and retell system. Its pretty standard in some MMO games.

I love this idea. However …

@bobirov wrote:

It isn’t perfect or anything but it is much better than having to type out the name of the recipient EVERY time you want to send a private message to someone (especially when names are long and complex and there is no “partial typing of names” allowed).

As Bobirov points out, long & complex names would be a HUGE problem in Scorched3D.

Don’t get me wrong, I love that Scorched3D permits any & all ASCII characters to be used in player names (except for the special case of the NULL name — no characters at all, just the NUL ASCII character; very annoying, especially when listed on the stats page since you CAN’T select the NULL name to see his stats page!).

But even with a reply/retell command, the long & complex names for some players would be painful to use the sayto command! For instance, shockwave’s recent player name has included some run-time-error operators like :

.*=* sHocKwaVe *=*.

I mean, who’s really going to type that or other more complex names for a private message, huh? But I guess that’s their fault if they have a complex name & consequently never receive private IM messages! 😛

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.