This topic contains 57 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Deathstryker 12 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

M. O.
    Participant

@deathstryker wrote:

@m. O. wrote:

Peesonally I think the need to accept the game as is; if you want it like the original Scorched Earth then play that one. Ilike the game and Mr. Camp has done alot of hard work and I for one am greatful. Keep it up. It’s your game and you control it the way you want.

Everyone get used to it and keep the game rolling on Your terms Mr. Camp.

M. O.

Of course he is free to do what he wants, but he has expressed, at least to some degree, an importance to make the shields closer to the original. I’m not forcing the issue down his throat to change things to a certain way, I’m merely posting information on the original for reference material.

Right now the poll seems to be close on the shields issue and if it stays that way, I guess he is free to do what he wants but had they gone one sided it really would have been important to make that change in accordance with the polls because it just wouldn’t make since to go against your fan base.

I’m tired, gonna go to bed now.

And that is fine But you have to remember this Is not the original Scorched Earth Being that I think that It should be as close as possible if that is the consensus but It should have it’s on signature that makes The Game different other than the Graphics. And I feel that 38.1 is Much closer to the orig in the weapons, shields and other things.

DeVice
    Participant

I like the changes, it make game different. But I reckon people without shields (not earned enuf money or whatever else reason) are now no longer able to get back in the game.
    So I vote for an intermediate setting between the former shields resistance and the new one.

Dr Folamour
    Participant

I vote “yes, but make them different from 38”.
    An intermediate setting is a good compromise between the “fragile” shield v38 and the too strong current shield. 😉

steel
    Participant

It’s not a long time since I’ve been playing this game (nice one 😀 ), but my feeling is that in v37 was so easy to destroy a force shield (just a baby roller would do it), and now with v38 is so hard, roller’s balls are bouncing on it and they are not damaging the shield, even if them explode close to it.
    So my vote has been for an intermediate powering between v37 and v38.
    Also I don’t want them to be more expensive, just a bit weaker than v38.

Gcamp, thank you for that really nice game, I enjoy it.

See you all in server.

comedown
    Participant

i vote to keep them the same.

if people don’t have enough money to compete, then that is their own fault, they need to learn to play better as far as saving some cash, and not buying shields or death heads in the first round, only to have absolutely nothing left by round 5.

that is the whole point of having a cash setting in the game, complaining about not having the money to compete with other players is basically the same as saying ”i suck at this, give me free weapons or i’ll cry.”

as for the strength of the shields, it’s not a problem, if you have a high enough level of skill you’ll be able to crack them, if not you won’t.

and rollers do damage shields, only baby rollers don’t.

the dig and roll technique is still effective, you just have to do it more accurately, making sure the rollers are beside the shield when they explode.

hot napalm will eat through a shield and the tank inside, within seconds.

the game hasn’t become less fun, it’s simply become more of a challenge, tactics play a far greater role than they did before. now you have to plan ahead rather than just shooting everyone in sight.

scorched now requires a greater deal of strategy, and isn’t that what the game is supposed to be about?

to sum up, the weaker players will use up their funds in the early stages, and become even weaker as the rounds move on.. the more intelligent players will lay low the first few rounds, only buying a few chutes and selling the rest back etc. gaining interest, and by the end of the game you will only see the strongest players surviving, most will have shields, and it will genuinely become a matter of pure skill to decide who wins.

if you just want big explosions and easy kills there will always be Apoc, but i say leave 38.1 as is.

Doggystyler
    Participant

What about a new shield crunching weapon without any other damage?

Greets,
    Doggie

Participant

@comedown wrote:

i vote to keep them the same.

if people don’t have enough money to compete, then that is their own fault, they need to learn to play better as far as saving some cash, and not buying shields or death heads in the first round, only to have absolutely nothing left by round 5.

that is the whole point of having a cash setting in the game, complaining about not having the money to compete with other players is basically the same as saying ”i suck at this, give me free weapons or i’ll cry.”

as for the strength of the shields, it’s not a problem, if you have a high enough level of skill you’ll be able to crack them, if not you won’t.

and rollers do damage shields, only baby rollers don’t.

the dig and roll technique is still effective, you just have to do it more accurately, making sure the rollers are beside the shield when they explode.

hot napalm will eat through a shield and the tank inside, within seconds.

the game hasn’t become less fun, it’s simply become more of a challenge, tactics play a far greater role than they did before. now you have to plan ahead rather than just shooting everyone in sight.

scorched now requires a greater deal of strategy, and isn’t that what the game is supposed to be about?

to sum up, the weaker players will use up their funds in the early stages, and become even weaker as the rounds move on.. the more intelligent players will lay low the first few rounds, only buying a few chutes and selling the rest back etc. gaining interest, and by the end of the game you will only see the strongest players surviving, most will have shields, and it will genuinely become a matter of pure skill to decide who wins.

if you just want big explosions and easy kills there will always be Apoc, but i say leave 38.1 as is.

Hi come! Nice post…VERY nice.Many interesting moments there. I dont like new shields,so you want to say what i am weak,cant gain money,cant shoot and cant kill?Ok…i have an idea:Lets create server 38.1 with “SHIELD WARS” mod on one server and classic scorched on another.And make DIFFERENT STATS FOR THESE 2 servers.

p.s.About strategy in game…this is not C&C,this game needs skills to kill with less shots as possible.Those aim skill better – winner.I DONT WANT TO THINK ABOUT STRATEGY OF DEACTIVATING SHIELD instead of using my best skills in aim 😛

Shark
    Participant

Comedown has a good point, he sums up some of the things I was thinking about in a thread a bit further down. Basically, I was against it initially, but thinking about it, I at least concur with Gavins comment (yet another thread) about letting it be as it is for a week, let players get used to it, and see if they like it.
    I’m having second thoughts about my resistance, you see. All the good players usually just play around mainly with baby rollers, killing everyone with those.
    Heavy rollers, Nukes and Hot napalm was always considered a bit of overkill, but now there’s suddenly a reason to be using them. What mostly remains as being an true overkill weapon after this is the DH… Which, by it’s very nature, should be an overkill weapon 😉

There’s still the matter of me feeling a bit sorry for the newbies though… Maybe I’ll get over it, or maybe we’ll find a fair compromise as the poll so far suggests.

I haven’t voted yet. I’d let it be for at least a week, as Gavin mentioned.

BOY
    Participant

Analysis:

Force shields seem much much more effective, The best and most simple solution: adjust the price of the shields to reflect the effectiveness. EASY

As they are, they make the game harder — GOOD

The only problem with the force shields before was that diggers were much too effective against them, that was solved by the increasing the shield radius. Now that shields are also more powerful, a price adjustment might be nice but not all that crucial I think that for the same price, only 2 are purchased instad of 3 is a good compromise.

Participant

@shark wrote:

All the good players usually just play around mainly with baby rollers, killing everyone with those.Heavy rollers, Nukes and Hot napalm was always considered a bit of overkill, but now there’s suddenly a reason to be using them.

HERE is your problem…So there is alot of peoples who can kill old force shield with 1st shot?THIS new shields crash all reason to be a “good player”.Now every newb wear them and became a godlike,because all rollers now sux (they dont damage shield when roll on them),napalm need a VERY GOOD HOLE to work fine,but now diggers cant make hole under shields.I dont like this new gameplay.If you cant win round this is not problem of weak shields.This means what you have less skills.

Deathstryker
    Participant

The only real problem I have with them now is that a Nuke doesn’t hardly do damage to the player/shield and that is ridiculous if you think about it. That’s the only change I really want and by the polls it seems that people want a change.

jdog
    Participant

I don’t think changing them back to 38 would be any better than they are now. It was too easy to take out a shield then. And while 16 for chaning it back there is 13 for either change it or keep it the same on 38.1

Shark
    Participant

Played a game just now, mainly to test a few things… And I’m here to share the results, just to show you how wrong you are, 1 😉

Of course, a lot of people in that game just went on and purchased shields from the start. And that’s propably what a newbie might also do. This left me with no kills for about four or five rounds, because I’d be pounding on those shields with my meager weapons and getting killed a bit too often.
    However, after that, these players had depleted their cash reserves, while I’d been earning a nice interest. In round 5 and 6 or so, very few, if any, bought shields. I still didn’t get myself any, because I was foresighted. In those rounds, I began catching up.
    Then everything went upside down. I could now afford buying Hot Napalm with a small grip from my pocket (HN takes down a force shield quite effectively, I might add. Doesn’t need to be in a hole, either). I countered one single force shield after that round, which I took out with a HN. Rest of the game I was pretty much dominating with pure baby rollers. Even with 0 kills in the first few rounds, I won with 19 kills in the end. Socalled “newbies” may seem invincible with shields in a few first rounds, but if you don’t save cash, you’ll deplete your reserves and leave yourself wide open in the latter part of the game.

You need both skill and cash to defeat those shields, cash which you in turn need some skill to hold onto. You need to rethink a few things, be foresighted, and save your cash. Which all requires you to be a good player.
    I’m starting to actually agree with comedown, you need a bit more strategy now… But I haven’t decided on the poll yet. I’d either vote for a compromise or keeping the shields as they are now, I’ll admit.
    I also like the fact that they actually seem to be able to hold reasonably against a funky now… Less funky nightmares! Yay! 😉

Edit: Yeah. Maybe nukes needs to be a bit more effective against the shields. They do seem a bit useless. They could be a reasonably affordable “shield-zapper” if you haven’t too much cash to play around with.

JT
    Participant

I agree with 1 and vote YES.Just look at this…always 2-3 winners per round.They CANT kill each other.So no more comment from me…Pool will decide this question.I hope.

M. O.
    Participant

how about you shrink that pic for the benefit of the 56ker’s on here.

Thanks
    M. O.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.