This topic contains 13 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  DannyMaxes 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Author

BOY
    Participant

BASIC STRATAGY GUIDE for the Scorched3D SERVERS

CONTENTS

1. BUYING GUIDE
    2. HOW TO SURVIVE
    3. 5 WAYS TO KILL

Note – if you haven’t played the game before:
    Learning to play Scorched3D is easier if you view the key commands first (full list in game help) and then learn what the weapons do by playing a few games offline against the computer. If want to jump into online play and learn as you go, then continue reading for some helpful hints :).

BUYING GUIDE:

As a general rule, always keep at least $20,000 in the bank until the end. That cash gives you $6,000 in interest (30%) each round. There are only 12 shots per round so always sell back what you dont need. Some weapons come in large bundles, usually 4 or 5 of any weapon is enough for a single round. Even though you lose a little by selling (-20%) you make it back with the interest you make.

You cannot buy weapons in round 1. The players who get some extra money from kills in round 1 will have an advantage in money because interest is high (30%). One kill with a baby missile is worth $5,000 full damage plus up to $2,500 for the kill bonus.

An extra $5,000 in the first round will grow to over $20,000 after five rounds and to more than $50,000 by round 9 if you dont spend it. Even without earning extra money, the $30,000 in starting money grows to more than $50,000 after only two rounds.

Always remember to check the map before you buy, if you think you’ll probably die after one or two shots you should save your money!!

HOW TO SURVIVE:

The winner of the game is the one who has the highest score, and it is hard to score when you’re dead. Surviving the round is worth some nice points and will go a long way to help you win.

Shields will help you survive, but don’t use them too early or you could have money trouble later. Sometimes using a shield right before the end of the shot clock can really screw up your enemy’s shot. It is important to be able to anticipate what is being shot at you when you do this.

After round 2 it is a good idea to keep 5 to 10 batteries and 2 or 3 parachutes at the beginning of each round. However, defense is not the only way to win. If you earn enough money you can use heavy weapons to kill your opponents quickly.

A few kills early in the game will go a long way in earning you money that will help you survive later. Using bigger weapons earns less money for kills and damage so smart shooting is important – dont waste your heavy weapons.

Buying extra fuel will allow you to escape, and make your opponent miss. This can deplete his weapons and give you an advantage.

5 WAYS TO KILL:

Sometimes kills can be hard to come by. Here are a few tips on being an effective tank-killer, ranked from low risk to high risk.

1. “Dig’n Roll” — The single most reliable way to defeat an opponent.
    Shoot a Digger close and drop your opponent in a hole. 2. Use a Baby Roller on the next shot to roll into the hole for the easy kill. (If the target has shields, use Napalm, Rollers, or Heavy Rollers to do more damage, or use more Diggers to weaken the shield from undrground)

2. “Funk-head” — Save money for buying heavy weapons.
    >Because of its seeking ability, the single most effective weapon is the Funky Bomb. It is expensive but has the capablity to kill any target, even with a shield, in only one shot. Their weakness is that they seek less accurately in strong wind and are less effective against multiple targets. You will probably be killed online frequently with these. ๐Ÿ™‚
    >Another option is the Death’s Head which contains 20 warheads larger than a baby nuke. They can be tricky to shoot properly, but with skill you can kill 5 or more targets in one shot. Sometimes the best defense is a good offense. ๐Ÿ™‚
    (With a good shot, a dose of Hot Napalm can kill any tank on land)

3. “Glooping” — It isn’t the “cleanest” way to kill, but it can get the job done.
    Dirt is cheap. You can neutralize your opponent by covering him with dirt. You can then use method 1, or sandhogs to get the kill. BEWARE! overusing this stratagy can make you enemies quickly.

4. Diplomacy — If you are trustworthy you can negotiate your way to victory.
    This is a risky stratagy but rather than deal with an opponent, sometimes it is better to make temporary peace (or truce). Carefully consider how you will defeat this opponent later in the game. BEWARE! this stratagy sometimes makes you (or both of you) a nice target.

5. Ambush — If you like to be the tricky type this method is for you.
    All you need to do is buy enough fuel to move into close range and below your opponenet for a direct hit. This stratagy is risky, and shields are often the key to success. Be sure you have the right weapon for the job.

If you liked this guide you might also like the aiming guide

You might also want to try the Apoc mod buying guide

For a detailed explanation of the game’s features see “The Dummies Guide to Scorched3D”

BOY
    Participant

I would appreciate some feedback on the above stratagy guide. If any of the advice can be improved, please let me know. There are always new ways to win. I’ve tried to keep it brief, but if anything is unclear there is still room for improvement.

Deathstryker
    Participant

I’m not so sure about buying strategies but once this is complete are you gonna move it over to the wiki?

Irishbandit
    Participant

@boy wrote:

HOW TO SURVIVE:

Since the winner of the game is the one who survives the most rounds, you’ll be saving your money to buy plenty of shields.

SHIELDS!!! We dont need no stinking shields!!!! Well some of us dont any way. =; =; =; =; ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thrax
    Participant

@boy wrote:

I would appreciate some feedback on the above stratagy guide. If any of the advice can be improved, please let me know. There are always new ways to win. I’ve tried to keep it brief, but if anything is unclear there is still room for improvement.

Several of your methods do make a lot of winners. I’ve had them all
    used against me..

However, i had to have a chuckle at the fact that
    “Shoot accurately with simple shots” diddn’t seem to appear on your list…

both that, and the “1000-power with a mirv, straight at them”, seem to
    work rather well for me.
    If only the heavy lasers had more effect, i’d call that a method.. but it
    usually gets me killed before i can finish them off.

as for the saving money from the start, i’m still rotten at that.
    i seem to keep buying parachutes and batteries… nasty habit. ๐Ÿ˜€

Ebonite
    Participant

I do that too, Thrax, and still end up with hundreds of thousands of money

BOY
    Participant

@ Deathstryker,
    sure, any of it can go in the wiki if and when it is refined.
    I’d sure like to keep it in a place where noobs might see it though, but an added entry in the wiki is naturally a good thing.

@ Irishbandit,
    sorry bud, but I had to give them SOME way of beating you ๐Ÿ˜›

@ Thrax,
    for accuracy, see the aiming guide, for “simple shots” please explain what you mean. As far as specific uses for weapons… that guide would be quite long and detailed. Incorporating aiming, buying, stratagy, and wepaons into one comprehensive guide would be too big and laborsome to read IMO. I’d prefer for ppl to learn the weapon uses in the game itself and from players.

Maybe we need a “Weapon Tricks” guide though ๐Ÿ™‚

Irishbandit
    Participant

@boy wrote:

@ Irishbandit,
    sorry bud, but I had to give them SOME way of beating you ๐Ÿ˜›

LMAO!!! ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

Good guide to.

NoMoreSteve
    Participant

@boy wrote:

Maybe we need a “Weapon Tricks” guide though ๐Ÿ™‚

Actually, that sounds like a cool idea. I know some of us have weapons that we prefer over others. *ribbit*. To actually read explanations of how other people use specific weapons may cause some of us to break out of our typical playing modes and experiment.

elgor
    Participant

I think there are 100.000 ways to kill, but my favourite are: digg & roll and funky. Everyone should find his own best way i think.

Ratty
    Participant

useful buyin guide – as a failry new player, i have been tending to spend all my money on round 2!

Will try holdin back, and sellin back. Never really sold back.

Will give it a go if i can ever get into the server!

Ratty

BOY
    Participant

yep, if the weapons sit in your inventory for more than a round or two, you need to sell them sooner.

let us know how it goes ๐Ÿ˜€

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Added to wiki with credit. Any updates should be made there….please ๐Ÿ™‚

Deathstryker
    Participant

Since you did that and want updates there, I’m gonna unsticky this to clean up a bit. Feel free to change it back.

DannyMaxes
    Participant

The buying guide checklist is simply fantastic and the wiki update with credits is very much appreciated!

Thank you!
    Danny

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.