This topic contains 9 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  KTM Rider 9 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

blujay
    Participant

I think gameplay would be better if you could buy one item at a time, instead of in multi-packs. For example, several times I have run out of parachutes, but I couldn’t afford to buy 8 for $15k. Why can’t I buy 3 for $5,625, and spend the $9500 on other things, like a few batteries, a shield, or weapons? What good will 8 parachutes do me if I have no shields and only baby missles?

Isn’t it better to give the player more flexibility and choices so he can develop better and deeper strategies?

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

I guess the point is to make parachutes an option, rather than granted as standard. You know you can sell some back right? 3 is usually plenty for a round. (unless some dude wants you dead and bought funk bombs instead of parachutes).

It’s about balance more than anything I think.

blujay
    Participant

I don’t understand what you mean. It doesn’t make sense.

For example, a good strategy might be to buy 3 parachutes, 5 batteries, 1 heavy shield, 1 napalm, 1 leapfrog, and 5 fuel. But you can’t do that, because you have to buy in bulk.

It’s almost like cable companies: you want 15 channels that you actually care about, but you can only get 10 of them in the standard package, and to get the other 5 you have to buy 50 channels that you don’t ever watch.

I say let the player decide. Let the player buy as many or as few of each item type as he wants. Then you will see more interesting strategies. Right now an effective strategy is to spend all your money on funky bombs and a teleport, and that’s not very deep.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

Yes : ) like you say. Funky bombs. I hear heavy sandhogs are also a good strategy (long as you don’t mind taking responsibility : ).

@blujay wrote:

I don’t understand what you mean.

I mean: balance is important. If funky bombs for e.g. were too cheap, or sandhogs were available singly, the game would very quickly degenerate into a version 40 style rolling, funking contest. Which would be pretty, but far less involved.

Just, humble opinion as always, forcing people to use a variety of weapons adds some staying power, and stops the game getting old.

blujay
    Participant

Just, humble opinion as always, forcing people to use a variety of weapons adds some staying power, and stops the game getting old.

Well that’s my whole point there! 🙂 If you’d let the players spend their money on single quantities, they could afford to buy a variety of weapons. But as it is now, it usually ends up that you either have not enough money to buy what you want, so you buy nothing, or you spend all you have on a single weapon type, because you have to buy so many at once.

The game even says to try different weapon types to defeat shields, but if I have to buy three at a time, I can only afford one type. How about one napalm to take out shields, then a baby nuke to blast them to smithereens? Oops, not enough money to buy three napalms and three nukes.

See what I mean?

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@blujay wrote:

See what I mean?

yes. don’t know. : ) not really my concern. i can’t see it changing. maybe you should start a poll or something.

nice use of my point as your point : ) i’m sure i’d enjoy arguing with you, but i’d only be repeating myself.

HWB
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

You know you can sell some back right? 3 is usually plenty for a round.

This is the key. Do you not understand this? If you do this then you can purchase all of the above items. Not in the second round if that is what you mean.

Sounds like you need to know the key scorched rules.

1. Buy chutes. Buy a pack of eight then sell back 4-5 of them.
    2. Save your money. IMO never have less than 30000 in the bank.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Ya beat me to it HWB, lappy did point it out but was ignored.

SELL ITEMS BACK

You can sell items one at a time, you do not get all ya money back, but it beats having 8 chutes when you are a snipe target and only want one incase your against a bad sniper!

Better option, buy nothing, its what I do ALOT of the time, often dont buy ANYTHING till the 3rd, 4th even 5th round and then have $100-120,000 in the bank when you can let your built up rage out on any cat you like, just happens to only be two I play often!

blujay
    Participant

Why waste money buying some and selling some back at less than full price? It also uses up time in the buying process. Why not just let players buy exactly what they want? Why can’t we have a Wal-Mart instead of a Sam’s Club? 🙂

Thrax
    Participant

@blujay wrote:

Why waste money buying some and selling some back
    at less than full price? It also uses up time in the buying process.
    Why not just let players buy exactly what they want? Why can’t
    we have a Wal-Mart instead of a Sam’s Club? 🙂

Different mods sell thing’s in different sized packs. Some even give
    you items as prizes.. at a point cost.

Part of the strategy is to predict what you’ll need. I believe the
    Un-modded servers are the only ones left that still sells parachutes
    in the large packs.

KTM Rider
    Participant

I do prefer servers that sell chutes in smaller groups. But once I’ve made a bunch of money, I like big packs, preferably with a discount. Like the battery packs in Merge. You have your standard 10 batt packs, and then a whopping 30 pack that offers a smaller per-batt price..

But I guess thats why I like mod servers better.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.