This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  imported_gcamp 9 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Game state machine.
      Terrain texture uses different textures for different height levels.
      Added sky box surround (terrain “floats” above sky box).
      Lens flare.
      Tanks can fire (no terrain damage).

Rommel
    Participant

Hey, I found a pearl! @gcamp wrote:

Game state machine.
      Lens flare.

Are the various heights listed here someplace where anyone can use them or do I need to go poking around in the code again? Trial and error will work, but having this information readily available should make things easier for map designing.

Thanks,

Rommel

Rommel
    Participant

Oh yeah, one more thing … @gcamp wrote:

Game state machine.
      Lens flare.

Yes, I know I’m posting onto a message that has been dead for almost 7 years.

I hate to keep bringing this up but I hate finding things like I’m about to point out even more. Even though the skybox surround tag is now almost 7 years old, I can’t find it documented in the WIKI. It seems that making additional improvements has had precidence over documenting the last set of improvements for a very long time. Not good, not good at all. Perhaps the tag was dropped and I’ve wasted my time here, ok, then that isn’t documented either.

This practice, if not curtailed, will eventually reach the point where it becomes too labor intensive to persue. Please don’t tell me it’s already past that point. Perhaps a moritorium on “IMPROVEMENTS” is in order until the documentation can be brought up to date. Then when all else is done, perhaps I’ll find a new chat feature appealing. No offense PeanutsRevenge, 😉 that’s the only one I could think of at the moment.

I’ve asked this before but I don’t mind asking again in the hopes that I’m helping the game by making it easier for those that follow behind us. Would someone with the proper knowledge and access level mind reading through the WIKI and updating it to include ALL available tags and the proper method(s) of implementing them? Also, while you (developers) are at it, please document any tags that have been dropped such as the Placements tag.

The last time I mentioned this Gavin stepped up and said it was his fault which made me feel badly about mentioning it. In restrospect, after finding this, I’m wondering if any of the developers feel badly about letting this get so out of control? Having the title developer beside your name indicates that you have the ability, and access level to make the changes required. So, that being said, Gavin I think you are a doing a fine job with the changes, but your development team is way behind on the docs.

Thanks for taking the time to read this even it is totally ignored.

Sincerely,

Rommel

Ooops, should have checked this before … The roof tag description is still wrong! I believe I mentioned this several days ago.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

The height bands are not changable and are spread evenly over a 30 unit height range.

The skybox is not in the game anymore. These posts are so old that the engine wasn’t modable at all at this time.

parasti
    Participant

Rommel,

My apologies if I’m asking the obvious, but have you tried to request wiki access? Seems like you have sufficient interest to improve the situation, why not get at it? After gaining wiki access, you can begin by asking questions and documenting the answers, which I am sure you will receive if the questions are specific enough. “Everything is broken and someone else is going to have to fix it” doesn’t sound very appealing, not to mention it’s not a question at all.

Rommel
    Participant

Hi Parasti:

@parasti wrote:

Rommel,

My apologies if I’m asking the obvious, but have you tried to request wiki access? Seems like you have sufficient interest to improve the situation, why not get at it? After gaining wiki access, you can begin by asking questions and documenting the answers, which I am sure you will receive if the questions are specific enough. “Everything is broken and someone else is going to have to fix it” doesn’t sound very appealing, not to mention it’s not a question at all.

Yes

Rommel

Rommel
    Participant

Hi Again:

I left a reply to your post about the banding of the texture levels in the other post so as to seperate these two issues.@gcamp wrote:

The height bands are not changable and are spread evenly over a 30 unit height range.

The skybox is not in the game anymore. These posts are so old that the engine wasn’t modable at all at this time.

Thanks for the update on the skybox. I’m not going to make a request that it be brought back anytime soon although I do have a map that I had planned to use with that feature. It looks … well, ok I guess, sitting on the seabed with the proper texture file but it would have looked “heavenly” if it could have been suspended. 😉

Still playing with the maps,

Rommel

imported_gcamp
    Participant

There is a tag to put in a texture for the skyline, went into the last version.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘news’ is closed to new topics and replies.