This topic contains 12 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  cbx550f 12 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Willis
    Participant

When using fuel, if a person is dropped due to whatever reason, the fall is irrelevent.

Their tank instantaniously apears at the “bottem” where they would land, and keeps on driving. No parachutes are used and if their not even weilding parachutes no damage is received.

I think if a person is dropped in elevation, first if it is significant enough a parachute is used, else wise their injurred. Second they stop moving. Or if you really want – if their not dropped in water they can continue to drive.

One other thing I noticed is if your using fuel to reach a location, and upon the move that location is blown away, you will still reach that location even though your driving in water. Even if it ENDS in water your still able to reach it. Like before I honestly think the water rule should be enforced regarless of technicalities. Plus 90% of the time anyway for this to hapen your going to be dropped (see prior paragraph), so you should be stopped anyway.

Continue driving until reaching or dropped in water. Continue driving until dropped significantly in elevation. Receive a parachute loss or damager if your drop is significant enough.

Ebonite
    Participant

Also, tanks the move with shields on recieve no damage to the shields when hit with diggers. The holes appear under and around them, maybe even causing them to fall, but no impact on the shields.

BOY
    Participant

all i can say to the above is YOP

ebo, where is your little cat picture, that mini red x is like so annoying (as was the cat 😛 )

Blasterman
    Participant

Oh yes, I’ve seen this glitch… and I like it. Tanks sould be able to move in water. This increases the number of locations that you can go to. I liked driving into water as a defensive manuever. I personally hate this no going into water rule!

Panther30
    Participant

@blasterman wrote:

Oh yes, I’ve seen this glitch… and I like it. Tanks sould be able to move in water. This increases the number of locations that you can go to. I liked driving into water as a defensive manuever. I personally hate this no going into water rule!

understand about the water. I have heard enough from people who like water movement and I’ve heard from people who don’t like it. Personally I think water shouldn’t be a “super shield” as it is now.

cbx550f
    Participant

I don’t know about everyone else, but when *I’m* in the water, I find I’m particualrly vulnerable. A target undewater in a small hole or valley is an easy kill with a roller, and if the target is on a flat bottm on the water it’s a fairly easy shot with a roller as well – just shoot slightly upwind. 😉

Could we maybe comprimise on this and allow tanks to go into *shallow* water? Seems to me that a tank that can’t drive though a puddle is a bit of a crappy tank. 😉

Apollo Tangent
    Participant

I have seen shields damaged during movement and I have seen “in game” parachutes popping open during movement when a digger lands near the tank targeted. But I’m not sure if that actually makes the player lose a parachute from their inventory.

I’m not sure how much of a change was made to the force shield compared to pre-shield test. The shields are a little bit too strong in my opinion, if the change in .xml was +1, maybe it should be knocked down by (.5).

I think that movement into water should be allowed, but here is the thing that I think should be considered:

Since it’s much more difficult to move in water than air (in real life), The movement (speed) in water should be slowed down by around 75% and fuel should only take you about 50% as far as it would on land to reflect the amount of energy a tank’s engine would have to exert due to the waters resistance.

I’m not sure if a “bog down” type of primitive can be included into the .xml though.

We’ll have to ask some of our resident .xml experts 😕

Apollo

poolee
    Participant

Hi all

Well a couple of days ago, something VERY weird happened in relation to moving that it must be a bug…

Apollo was 3/4’s of the way across the map, so I aimed a Deaths Head at him, 30 degree angle, 700 power-ish, and pressed fire. AT knew that was coming and had purchased 80 fuel, and used his tactic of running into the DH to escaped it. Now, my DH landed short of the desired target area, so AT effectively ran into the Dh! 🙂

And this is where the bug started…. it blew a LARGE swathe of land where was running to, leaving a huge cliff on both front and rear edges. When I looked on the map, AT was gone, but no message said I had killed hime. So I pressed ‘s’ to check the score, and AT was listed as ‘Oi (Dead)’. So began wondering where my kill went and and why I wasn’t credited for it!! ❓

So I typed a message to that affect and up it popped on the screen, and suddenly, AT appeared – half dead and no shield – next to a player on high land near the cliff who exclaimed ‘Where did you come from??’.

There is NO WAY he was moving cos his dot on the Planar view was not there, he was listed as Dead prior to appearing, and should no have been able to even get to where he was because of the sheer cliff that his fuel should not have let him climb!!

So tell me, what’s up with dat????

Cheers
    Poolee

Apollo Tangent
    Participant

I figured out that if you realize that a DH is coming at you, that the best defense is to run toward the person shooting it.

Here is my theory. You had to range the DH at about 700. The apex of it’s flight releases the subweapons at 350.

The shield I had on, with chutes eneabled and the fuel I used in running towards you all worked as intended.

One of the subweapons disabled my shield and another took life points.

I didn’t see me as being dead and then re-appearing but you probably did. I think that may be the .xml and the server calculating damage and placement (after fuel use).

Sometimes the whole process makes a tank traverse the battleground while it moves rather than moving in a “Bee” line. Which somehow makes sense, therefore that’s not a bug.

I think I did end up where I aimed my fuel to place me, the odd thing was that the land was no longer there, part of it was flying, part of it was going though landscape in flux, part of it through water and part of it just sheer luck on my part. It definately was interesting though.

It would be a classic if zoopie could have been there to film it.

Perhaps we can set up a server with liberal amounts of money and try to re-create it some day.

The best defense to a DH may just be in fact to run towards it, I’ve tried it a few times now successfully.

KR,

Apollo

guy parker
    Participant

I like the movement the way it is. so far as the tank moving to the location regardless of dirt addition/removal.

But one thing that I think really should be in effect is that if you’re so close to the water that it will skip your turn if you try to move, then it should just not even be an option for you to move, the gas thing should be disabled. I’ve wasted a few turns when close to the water trying to move. Now if i’m close to the water i usually don’t even risk it. The way the waves are, sometimes it’s hard to guess if it’s considering you (and the path you’re trying to take) to be underwater ot not. I really just wish we could move underwater again. Right now being underwater sucks, you’re a sitting duck, there’s no question in anyone’s mind that you’re not going anywhere. It limits your choices since to move is one of the usual defensive options and that’s negated now uderwater. I agree with AT that to move underwater should perhaps be slower (I don’t think it should take more fuel, just be slower though), but of course it should speed up to normal movement speed the second you emerge onto the shore/land area.

also, one other thing to point out with movement…. one time i was running away from a funky attack, and ONE lone funky bomblet came my way and flying over my tank to touched and took out a full force field because i happened to be moving along with the path, so my tank movement caused my shield to hit the bomblet multiple times. that sucked and i would consider that a glitch also, but you have to be pretty unlucky for it to happen to you that way.

Willis
    Participant

Well, I won’t bring up “lets turn fuel movement in water back on” issue becuase I think gavin is ready to play de ol shotgun trick after all our back and forth discussions.

However I do agree about the sitting duck issue. Gavin this is where your programming knowldge would be beneficial, is it possible to allow as suggested long ago, not movement INTO but allow movement out-of water?

Yes to turn fuel feature off entirely if a player is confirmed to be in water would be logical, and simple, it already knows if your in the water prior to the turn.

(on an off-topic comment)
    Want a funny “drive into” shot? I shot a funky bomb at CBX and another person the other night, naturally offset the location of the bomb so the bombets strike the targets. It was a middle->large sized map and we were on opposite sides. CBX drove INTO my funky projectile, not the bombets – the projectile. There was a huge explosion and that was the end of him. I don’t even recal seeing bombets fly loose.

Apollo Tangent
    Participant

Yeah on a direct hit with funkies sometimes the submunitions don’t deploy. I guess it’s on a direct hit. It’s happened to me a few times too.

Maybe it’s a 1 in 8 chance like a funky death.

A.T.

Irishbandit
    Participant

I have seen this happen also and it does make for a big booom!!! I find it only happens when you hit a player dead on.

cbx550f
    Participant

@willis wrote:

Want a funny “drive into” shot? I shot a funky bomb at CBX and another person the other night, naturally offset the location of the bomb so the bombets strike the targets. It was a middle->large sized map and we were on opposite sides. CBX drove INTO my funky projectile, not the bombets – the projectile. There was a huge explosion and that was the end of him. I don’t even recal seeing bombets fly loose.

I must say, that was a VERY accurate move on my part. 😛 (and quite hilarious – I was watching my tak go, thinking “Oh no…no….NOOOOO BOOM!” 😉

And no – there were no bomblets – I guess I took them all for myself 😛

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.