This topic contains 25 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Irishbandit 10 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Deathstryker
    Participant

As I’m sure some of you have heard in the news there seems to be this urgency in the media to post about an almost non-existent (yet) browser war. Nowhere near the scope of the old IE vs Netscape browser wars (yet).

I just wanted to make a fun poll to find out what browser everyone uses.

cbx550f
    Participant

I was REALLY tempted to choose other and say “Browser? I use “telnet scorched3d.co.uk 80”!

Firefox, btw. IE on PCs at work that I don’t use often (I really should roll out FireFox as the “Official Browser of My Network” ;))

Actually, I was just thinking, I bet I use text based browsers more than I use IE. (On my headless console-only servers, when I need to browse the web for whatever, or when installing Linux I often switch to another console and surf the net with lynx while something long is installing). Actually, usually if I want to get a new driver from nvidia.com, the fastest way is with a text browser – cuts the crap out of the site, and they were nice enough to put a nice friendly “Linux and FreeBSD Drivers” link near the top of the DL page. 🙂

Viking62
    Participant

I am running Opera primarily & IE secondarily. I changed over because Brain Damage recommended Opera. Is a very usefull browser with cool features. By the way….can we get a Scorched3d skin made up for Opera Browser? 🙂

Irishbandit
    Participant

I use firefox i have opera installed on my linux box at work i use firefox unless the site wont work then i use ie.

Deathstryker
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

I was REALLY tempted to choose other and say “Browser? I use “telnet scorched3d.co.uk 80”!

Firefox, btw. IE on PCs at work that I don’t use often (I really should roll out FireFox as the “Official Browser of My Network” ;))

Actually, I was just thinking, I bet I use text based browsers more than I use IE. (On my headless console-only servers, when I need to browse the web for whatever, or when installing Linux I often switch to another console and surf the net with lynx while something long is installing). Actually, usually if I want to get a new driver from nvidia.com, the fastest way is with a text browser – cuts the crap out of the site, and they were nice enough to put a nice friendly “Linux and FreeBSD Drivers” link near the top of the DL page. 🙂

I added it just for you, CB.

jdog
    Participant

Been using the fox since before it was a firefox. (V0.6)

Deathstryker
    Participant

@jdog wrote:

Been using the fox since before it was a firefox. (V0.6)

You beat me. I’ve used it since preview release 1.0. After that, I stayed with it and install development builds when they reach a high alpha stage.

NP-TheOutlaw
    Participant

fires the first NUKE!!

o yeah i almost forgot.

Willis
    Participant

Firefox here.

I reformat a computer, I use DOS to go download firefox :lol:-joke,maybe ❓

BigBear
    Participant

Firefox user since about a year and a half.

Hiroyuki
    Participant

I tend to stick with Opera for the most, occasionally Firefox…. I do like Shiira too though its a bit unstable currently (new version Beta)… but if they’d sort out the problems i might convert to that one…

SPYRER
    Participant

Well after running side by side comparision I have gone back to IE,
    the new version (7.0) firefox still beats out 6.0
    Reasons

Lower system requirements and usage for IE
    Higher speed, lower CPU usage

Here is for Firefox/Mozillia

Minimum:
    233 MHz CPU
    64 MB of RAM
    50 MB of free disk space
    Windows 98

Notes – The Recommended Requirements for Firefox are much worse:

These are for IE

Recommended:
    500 MHz CPU
    256 MB of RAM
    100 MB of free disk space
    Internet Explorer – Source

Minimum:
    486/66 MHz CPU
    16 MB of RAM
    11.5 MB of free disk space
    Windows 98

With the new version IE 7 there are now tabbed browsing (which they did copy from Firefox) and is much faster in opening up pages and sites compared to the Firefox/Mozillia. Though Opera is still the fastest but does not have all the features I like.

Do your own test side by side, or you are dead open up a couple firefox window and then IE windows, see which slows down your system more

Deathstryker
    Participant

One thing I hate about Firefox is that it sucks bad with plugins. They make it run sluggish.

(IE: Flash, Adobe Reader)

But I still like it.

cbx550f
    Participant

@deathstryker wrote:

I added it just for you, CB.

😀

I was thinking abou this thread earlier…. I was installing Linux on a machine at work, and while I was waiting for something to install, I thought I’d hop over to another console and browse the scorched forums…

So I hit ALT-F2 to open another console, then typed “links scorched3d.co.uk”, wandered over to the forums, read a couple posts….

Well, then I wanted to reply, but whups, have to log in first. No problem, so I thought, but:

scorched3d.co.uk :: Log in (p1 of 2)
    Link: top: scorched3d.co.uk Forum Index
    Link: search: Search
    Link: help: FAQ
    Link: author: Memberlist

Home Screenshots Downloads Forums Docs Servers Stats IRC
    [IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]Chat[IMG]FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups TournamentsTournaments RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in scorched3d.co.uk Forum Index Please enter your username and password to log in. Username: cbx550f___________________ Password: *******___________________ If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise read this code please contact the Administrator for help. Confirmation code: * Enter the code exactly as you see it. The code is case sensitive and _______ zero has a diagonal line through it. Log me on automatically each visit: [ ] [ Log in ] I forgot my password Powered by phpBB (c) 2001, 2005 phpBB Group Google Adsense Tips & Tricks | Myspace Layouts | Piano Lesson | Student Loan Consolidation | Buy Anything On eBay OpenGL Available Available Available Available Available Available Available for Available Supporter for Linux for for Mac for for Gentoo for Debian Slackware for Windows Solaris FreeBSD Donate to Scorched3D Visit Scorched3D at SourceForge.net Get it from CNET Download.com! 5 Stars Text field, name confirm_code

The formatting is a bit messed up from the copy-paste…. but note the “Confirmation Code” bit…. err, no images in a text browser! BAH!

The end of an era – no more posting to this forum from a text-based browser. *sigh*

Deathstryker
    Participant

lol. That’s funny. I guess you’re forced to be dumbed down to a *gasp* graphical-based browser. Unless you can somehow import your login cookie to your text-based browser (if it accepts cookies) after you set it to AutoLogin.

Maybe we can make an ASCII version of the picture for you. 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.