This topic contains 18 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 13 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Any comments welcome.

Jacen
    Participant

There that no words to say how awesome that looks.

ymmotrojam
    Participant

WOW!

a suggestion, what if hot napalm or just napalm hits trees? It should burn the trees down to just the trunks. Like those forests that one sees on tv that have been destroyed by forest fire. Also, it would be a cool effect if the fire spreaded throughout the rest of the trees.

Another thing that you probably already thought of is what if the random placement of a tank is within trees? Would the trees affect his/her shot? Or are they just decoration. If they are just decoration, would it be possible, if a tank is placed within the trees to have a little clear area where the trees are not right up against the tank?

Also, maybe I’m not paying attention, but do the shadows on the ground from the clouds move with the clouds? If not that would be a cool effect. Maybe there could be an option for different types of lighting as far what time of day it is. Scorched could automatically detect what time of day it was depending on my system clock and adjust the lighting in the game acordingly. Of course since this is just an effect, it could be turned off and just have default light settings.

It would also be nice if servers could control what the terrain looked like. Me personally, I don’t mind playing on those landscapes that look like mars, but I would prefer that I play on those more green and lush landscapes. Maybe either the server could control if everyone gets a random styled terrain or maybe even the clients could control what their’s looked like. Just a thought.

Let me just say WOW again though!!!

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@ymmotrojam wrote:

a suggestion, what if hot napalm or just napalm hits trees? It should burn the trees down to just the trunks. Like those forests that one sees on tv that have been destroyed by forest fire. Also, it would be a cool effect if the fire spreaded throughout the rest of the trees.

Yes the napalm burns the trees down to the trunks already. Although the fire does not spread. That would be cool though, and I may look into that 🙂

Another thing that you probably already thought of is what if the random placement of a tank is within trees? Would the trees affect his/her shot? Or are they just decoration. If they are just decoration, would it be possible, if a tank is placed within the trees to have a little clear area where the trees are not right up against the tank?

It is just decoration. And I had missed the fact about the tanks being in the trees. I will add this, thanks.

Also, maybe I’m not paying attention, but do the shadows on the ground from the clouds move with the clouds? If not that would be a cool effect. Maybe there could be an option for different types of lighting as far what time of day it is. Scorched could automatically detect what time of day it was depending on my system clock and adjust the lighting in the game acordingly. Of course since this is just an effect, it could be turned off and just have default light settings.

All of the landscape shadows are pre-calculated during the level creating. Presently the clouds (just smoke, and tanks) do not cast real-time shadows. When I put in the quad tree culling stuff I could do this. So watch this space 🙂

It would also be nice if servers could control what the terrain looked like. Me personally, I don’t mind playing on those landscapes that look like mars, but I would prefer that I play on those more green and lush landscapes. Maybe either the server could control if everyone gets a random styled terrain or maybe even the clients could control what their’s looked like. Just a thought.

In version 37, you can do this. You can choose the types of terrain (hilly, flat, two islands etc) and what types of landscape to choose.
    See here :- http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=709

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Here is another image that shows, some different sized trees, snowy trees and some tree stumps. The stumps are trees that have been burnt by naplam.

People who are following this progress will also be glad to know I have improved the speed of the trees quite considerably. With more improvements to come.

ymmotrojam
    Participant

if a missile or any other weapon hits a tree or group of trees, is there any debree specific of those trees? What I mean is there any splinters of wood flying in the blast?

Another thing with burning trees. If there is to be lightning in the next version, could that also be something that could cause a fire in the trees?

Also, depending of the time zone of the user, would it be possible to have different seasons for the trees? For me it’s winter in the US, could I have all the trees have snow on them? For other people it might be spring or summer. Could it be customized for the user depending on what their system clock was? Of course something like this would also be nice if it could be edited.

Another thing not as important but cool. I noticed that throughout the game, there isn’t any sounds besides explosions and other GUI sounds like a chat message coming in. It would be kinda nice if there was a background ocean wave sound and maybe a random animal sound, that is if there is animals. Some sounds could range from a whale shooting water out its “shoot water out of thing” to some seaguls on the beach.

ymmotrojam
    Participant

maybe the fire in trees would burn slower in trees with snow in them (melting water/snow?). Possibly even the fire would die out. Since the snow seems to be at higher altitudes, the melting snow and less oxygen at higher altitudes would slow down forest fire in real life. Maybe it could be applied here.

ymmotrojam
    Participant

@ymmotrojam wrote:

In version 37, you can do this. You can choose the types of terrain (hilly, flat, two islands etc) and what types of landscape to choose.

I didn’t mean the shape of the islands but rather the colors of the terrain. I like the terrain that has those green real-life looking stuff, but it would be nice if that or any other could be used as the default ground color.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@ymmotrojam wrote:

@ymmotrojam wrote:

I didn’t mean the shape of the islands but rather the colors of the terrain. I like the terrain that has those green real-life looking stuff, but it would be nice if that or any other could be used as the default ground color.

Its ok you can set the color, using the same mechanism.

Deathstryker
    Participant

Kick ass! That looks cool as hell. I hope I can run the trees on my system.

One suggestion: You should make the trees stumps a little toastier looking like darker I guess.

Chomsky
    Participant

That’s beautiful…

😥 but I can hear my poor old CPU whimpering already.

Obviously this will be an option (hence a decoration that does not effect the outcome of the game), yes?

A possible issue comes to mind:

what if your tank is near trees and you are napalmed: will you take more damage because of the burning tree near you? It seems logical that you should, and yet it would cause a discrepancy between players who have trees on or off for performance reasons.

Just a thought…

c. thomas

Chomsky
    Participant

Yeah, I agree with that… the ones in the shot look like they died from not enough water 😆

I think burnt-toast blackish brown would be appropriate..

@deathstryker wrote:

One suggestion: You should make the trees stumps a little toastier looking like darker I guess.

Anonymous
    Participant

Looks AWESOME so far, keep up the great work 😯 Everybody has some good ideas, but I don’t know how easy they would be to implement, but that would rule if you could do some of them.
    One way I could see to fix the tree problem from PC to PC is when you setup a server it would say trees on/off and if you join the game, trees would behave accordingly.
    More land textures would be great, is there any way to add your own ?

Cambo
    Participant

hmmmm…. in the original models I gave to Gavin the scorched trees were already black….

Cam

Cambo
    Participant

then again the new trees look better than the old ones 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.