This topic contains 17 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  mandy 12 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Cinnibar
    Participant

So I’m on the newbie server yesterday for a round or two, and I get one round in with just me and the bots playing tag. WHH (15th, 700+kills) joins, new round starts, and I peg a bot because it’s nearby. WHH aggressively pursues and kills me.

No problems there.

Next couple rounds, I exclusively target him, paste him, just making a point that I’m not newbie fodder for him to walk all over. Scampe joins at that point.

Following round, I start next to Scampe, and I take a shot at him, I believe WHH nails me, and then Scampe gets all pissy because I wasn’t shooting at the bots first.

Eh? Is this typical? Clearly WHH felt no need to target the bots first and went for the highest threat available. I returned the favor. Where did this “shoot the bots first” mentality come from and why is it people think that you have to target the bots first? I’ve always played under the assumption that the only way to win was to eliminate the greatest threats first…

BOY
    Participant

you have invoked “the code”

“the code” primarily means that you should not resign when you are damaged and cant shoot back. Some players dislike this code yet the code prevails. It is totally fair to resign, yes, and it could help you to win, however the majority feeling is, that adhering to the code is a non-funspoiling, respectful form of play between warriors (ok, gamers)

this code spills over into other areas of “respect” like targeting bots first.

If I had been you ( I dont play there for this reason ) I would have hoped i would ask scampe if he shot bots first. OR once he is pissed and I find I have shot a follower of the code, appologise to him and explain the there is a non-code follower who is amongst us.

the code followers have formed their empire in the main server well, and more so now that its a 50 kill fortress. History shows that the barbarians always conquer the civilized in the end. (actually its just back and forth) but to expand the rule of the code over the barbaric masses will be impossible.

what the heck am I saying… moving on to the point. FoPr now all i can say is, play the way thats most fun for you, and dont be afraid to piss off one or two people. If you can shoot scampe in a fair fight and not be mad that he is mad, then its all good. Me personally, I would go for shooting bots first, and when someone shoots at me then I shoot back. I actually find that its quite hard to get ahead this way. and so i dont play there 😛

Irishbandit
    Participant

@boy wrote:

you have invoked “the code”

“the code” primarily means that you should not resign when you are damaged and cant shoot back. Some players dislike this code yet the code prevails. It is totally fair to resign, yes, and it could help you to win, however the majority feeling is, that adhering to the code is a non-funspoiling, respectful form of play between warriors (ok, gamers)

You best follow the code or i got some dirt for you!!!! 😈

barnabas
    Participant

It’s hard on the beginner’s server, isn’t it? The most annoying people there are the ones that say “AI first every1” like they’re the rulemakers and the rest should genuflect and kiss the ground. But then you know someone’s getting off on blasting newbs on the first shot while the newb is innocently targeting (AI) Frank.

As a self-proclaimed “pro” who likes to return to the beginner’s server to recruit newbs and tell them that if they’re nice and non-whiny we’d love to have them on the main server, I follow my own recent advice for pros on beginner to target bots first as an unspoken code of honor. I figure the best way to make the game more fun is to get people to see that there are some of us here who actually come to have fun and not take things so freakin’ seriously.

Actually, Cinnabar, your attitude displayed by this post is a rarity on this site, and it is refreshing. You’re not pissed, you’re not going postal or claiming that everyone is unfair and the game needs a whole new set of rules with only people you like allowed to play. It’s good to see that you’re taking this without an emotional breakdown.

I would say feel free to nail those who want to nail you back, but keep to the code with those with whom you are unfamiliar. So show WHH the sharp end of your baby missile whenever you like, but when some with a rank of 1987 shows up, it’s probably best to watch their behavior and treat them accordingly.

And never let the party-poopers poop on your party. 😯

apache64d
    Participant

“AI first” is not a writen rule. U can go on AI first and you can also kill who ever you think is most dangerous.
    Its the same on a “no shiledfunkyhogs game”. Some ppl whp starts a game agrees and decides about a game that some wepons won’t be allawed to use. If a payer joins to the game after few rounds he can A: play a use what evr wepon he wants. B: can agree to the “game rules” and doesn’t use the wepon that were “not allawed” to use.

To all pro’s that play on the beginners server:
    Let new players play how ever they want. BUT pro’s- kill AI first, in order to give new players more chances. After all, IT IS A BEGINNERS SERVER NOT PROS SERVER.

Anyway, soon there will be a new policy about this phenomenon that pros who play at the beginners.

apache.

DireWolf
    Participant

Yo Cinn… 🙂

I wouldnt worry too much about it, there will always be someone who disagrees with how things should be, that decision is yours to make, I have played with you a few times, and consider you to be one of the more respectful players that I have played.

most players on the Noob server have no idea of the code, and will not untill they have gained some experience, and some even with the experience dont follow the code, personally, I hate when people resign to keep from dying, but it is something I have learned to live with, same with the people who repeatedly dirt themselves, but on the other hand I was disliked by some because of my love for the FUNK…. specially in the second round 😈
    but now I kind of understand where they were coming from.

so the choices you make on how you play the game are your own to decide, and you can even choose not to follow the code, just know if you decide not to, some players will shun you, or even gang up on you.
    but like I said before, you are cool in my book Cinn, you are a curtious player, so dont trip 😉
    and remember, as hard as it may be sometimes, this is only a game ❗

DeVice
    Participant

On beginners, shooting the bot first I consider as unfair for new players, because they need their 50 kills and the bots are easier targets.

So… up to anyone to decide what they prefer 🙂

Cinnibar
    Participant

Anywhere you go, there’s an unwritten code, nothing new to me there, it’s just the whole bots-first thing throws me because the whole exciting part of online play is facing live opponents.

See, I understood scampe’s attitude from one sense, in that he wanted to make it clear that if I shot him, he was going to do his best to frag me… I just didn’t understand the implication, with two humans already shooting each other, that it should be understood that I’d shoot for him last AFTER the bots. I’m a little harsh on him, though, because unlike other players I’ve seen, he didn’t use profanity or degenerate into insults about my mom to get his point across.

My attitude is and always has been in any online gaming that you hunt the big dogs first with all the resources at your disposal. It’s a sign of respect to them and their skill level that you think they’re the biggest threat. Similarly, when I get everyone shooting at me (and not because I’m babbling in chat), I am proud that I’ve become significant and worthy of a nuke or three. Facing the best first ensures that you’re pushing the envelope on your skills and improving your play.

Unfortunately, this attitude kinda contrasts and conflicts with the whole “treat each other with kid gloves until the bots are gone” code. Really, the game is about blowing each other up, being innovative about it, and racking up the wins against tough competition.

The other thing that grates on me a wee bit is the whole “truce” thing that I see periodically. I participate in a truce occasionally, but there are players that beg for truces before I’ve even finished my purchase phase every single round… that seems a wee bit excessive to me.

Oh, and on resigning? As long as I’ve got a single point of health, I’ll do everything I can to survive the round and never resign. That includes trying to draw you into conversation about my condition so that you forget to shoot me.

Nitus
    Participant

I’m a squeaky-new newb, and I have to say that my instinct would also be to target the enemy who is most likely to kill me first – sometimes a bot, sometimes not. Or, if a bunch of players are in a nice convenient cluster, and one or more is not a bot, why waste the opportunity?

I think that in games where the bots are the majority of players, the “target bots first” thing is ok, especially if the few players are all relative newbs.

But once the players outnumber the bots, “target bots first” is kind of stupid as a number of players are automatically going to be essentially wasting their moves.

Note:I was going to complain about something, but it turned out to be an anomoly. Thx.

Nitus
    Participant

Um, why did it post my edit as a new post?

I’m coming to believe that Scorched3D is haunted.

Panther30
    Participant

You all know how I feel on the “bots first?” and “truce” subjects. but let me just say again…. these are not allowed on Panther’s Server.

barnabas
    Participant

I’m a squeaky-new newb, and I have to say that my instinct would also be to target the enemy who is most likely to kill me first – sometimes a bot, sometimes not. Or, if a bunch of players are in a nice convenient cluster, and one or more is not a bot, why waste the opportunity?

I think that in games where the bots are the majority of players, the “target bots first” thing is ok, especially if the few players are ale relative newbs.

But once the players outnumber the bots, “target bots first” is kind of stupid as a number of players are automatically going to be essentially wasting their moves.

barnabas
    Participant

Uh oh. Now the website is posting your posts under MY name. What the heck?!?!

Nitus
    Participant
    barnabas wrote:

If it really happened, I apologize for what I’m about to say. Bear with me, please.

If it’s a joke, it’s in poor taste. Actually the second post that you see was actually the fifth edit – why you don’t see the others is a mystery. What I did in each case is what I’ve done for years: click edit, do some editing, then click submit.

Curiously, at one edit it told me “you can’t post so soon” when close to three minutes had passed. The “quote” section in edit 4 was actually a rant about that – I did edit 5 after edit 4 went through really fast.

Yeah, I can’t explain that first sentance either. I think I was a bit angry when I started typing.

It’s a whole slew of problems, and as a long-time veteran of both gaming and the internet, my knee-jerk determination is that the server is either severely underpowered or running under a lamoid IP, or more likely some combination of the two.

You know, it happens in the game too, when players float or etc anomolies. I thought at first that maybe the netcode sucked due to the game’s low bandwidth requirements and it never being an issue, but after experiening these problems on the board I’ve changed my kneww-jerk assessment to finger the server.

Cinnibar
    Participant

@barnabas wrote:

((spooky ghost sounds))

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.