This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Bobirov 11 years, 7 months ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #4397

    Bobirov
    Participant

    Just thought I’d share that I bought ‘The Movies’ game a few weeks ago and I’ve been pretty distracted by it ever since. I’ve played through the single player a few times which is pretty fun. Its kinda like taking the Sims and mixing in a Movie Studio Tycoon style game with it. That in itself can be pretty entertaining.

    However, the coolest thing about the game is that it actually lets you shoot your own movies and share them with the community. You hire the actors, directors, extras, crew and you can create a script by picking and choosing scenes, props, costumes, etc. Then you can shoot the film and watch the cast do their thing, or just shoot it instantly in sandbox mode. After shooting, you can take your movie into post-production to add voice acting, subtitles, sound effects, music, fades, etc. If you’ve got a creative streak in you, it can be a pretty entertaining experience.

    Here’s my 2nd real film I’ve made so far. Its much more refined and cleaner than my first film. But its still not of the quality that I have seen some people make. All in all I think it came out pretty decent and I am satisfied with it for the most part. I wish I had made the final fight scene a bit longer, but there’s always part II for more action.

    Check it out, and lemme know what you think. Feel free to leave a review for the movie. That way, I get credits that can be used to buy more costumes, props, sets and stuff. If you like my little film, have a look at some of the ones in the top 20, they are excellent. Keep in mind that the game is more geared at making short films of the 5-10 minute variety, not full-length feature films. So don’t expect to see LoTR coming out of it or anything like that. 😉

    Anyways, just thought I would share this little gem of a game with you guys. It really is pretty fun if you like creating stuff. I don’t buy a lot of commercial video games really, but this is one that I just couldn’t pass up trying out.

    Enjoy,
    Rob

    #29127

    barnabas
    Participant

    So can you only “advance” in this game by having other people vote for your film?

    #29128

    BOY
    Participant

    what happens to the girls!!!

    that’s some funny stuff man, good job. You managed to keep infairly tame, but wait, the zombies bit…. isn’t there going to be shooting blood at some point.

    #29129

    Bobirov
    Participant

    @barnabas wrote:

    So can you only “advance” in this game by having other people vote for your film?

    Nah, only when it comes to the online portion of the game. Just playing single player and releasing movies in the game has nothing to do with real people rating your movies. Its just that if you post your movies online you get ‘Virtual Credits’ which can be used to buy new stuff you can use in your movies. There is also a bunch of unofficial user created content you can use without needing credits.

    @boy wrote:

    what happens to the girls!!!

    You’ll have to wait for the sequel to find out. 😉

    @boy wrote:

    that’s some funny stuff man, good job. You managed to keep infairly tame, but wait, the zombies bit…. isn’t there going to be shooting blood at some point.

    Well, I don’t think I can add blood in currently. But there is an expansion pack coming out in a few weeks that I think may address this very issue (particle effects). I’ll definately be picking it up as there are a few features I have read about that I just can’t pass up. More stunts, particle effects, free camera mode, etc, that in addition to the standard expansion fair of more costumes, props, sets and stuff. I can’t wait. 🙂

    I’m hoping to have a bit more zombie action in part II, but I really don’t know the full extent of what I can do yet. Need to check it out. I might just hold off for the expansion to come out if I am not satisfied with what I come up with. We shall see.

    Glad you liked it, it took a bit of work to make. Even if it is completely cheesy. 🙂

    #29130

    DireWolf
    Participant

    Completely cheesy???

    I disagree Chester Cheeto, its not easy being cheesy, very good action, and some awsome camera angles, I loved the camera work for the part of the skeleton chasing homeboy into the elevator, that was very sweet.
    I think you should post here to try and get some voice actors, to read the script, if possible, I would be happy to synch up the voices with the charactors for you, the captions are the only cheesy thing I saw, Honestly, though I also wondered about the girls too, then read this post to find there would be a part 2 😀 , so IMHO, it was cool, you have gained a fan!!!

    I dont know if you are familiar with the term machinima, the term comes from machine “computer” and cinema, that is what you made, I would suggest if you are interested in checking out more machinima made using many different games to check out http://www.machinima.com/
    there are some really good and bad vids there, I submitted 2 videos there myself, Dreams of Payne using the game Max Payne 2, and White Rabbit using the game Alice, neither were hosted but I did get some great feedback good and bad, I was kinda bummed because the supposed father of machinima had a music vid hosted there, and I truly believe my Dreams of Payne was almost as good, even Alice was good, very good, and after posting them and not having either hosted, then seeing some really crappy vids hosted, I gave up, i am not knocking the sight because there is some really really good stuff there.

    I stayed away from the Movies game only because it was too Sims like, and I am a Sims Hater 😈 I know I know, that is narrow minded but we all have issues of some sort 😕

    OK I have ALOT of issues, shut it!!! 😆

    again, great work, looking forward to episode 2.

    I will reccomend what is to me one of the best pieces I have seen, It uses the Halflife 2 source engine, called A few good G men, the courtroom in the vid was made by a mapper, lip synching was done using Face Poser which comes with the game, Imagine the possibilties of using an awsome game and and making a map for the background, makes me wish i had more time on my hands.
    here is the link, I guarantee you will like this!!!
    http://www.machinima.com/films.php?streaming=1154

    #29131

    Bobirov
    Participant

    @direwolf wrote:

    I disagree Chester Cheeto, its not easy being cheesy, very good action, and some awsome camera angles, I loved the camera work for the part of the skeleton chasing homeboy into the elevator, that was very sweet.

    Ya I love that shot as well. The bad thing is that, currently, you use a little slider to choose from some predefined camera routines, so you are limited in where you can shoot from. The expansion is going to address this be adding a free camera which can be placed anywhere and you can alter the panning, zooming, etc. That will really help I think, probably the biggest thing I am looking forward to.

    @direwolf wrote:

    I think you should post here to try and get some voice actors, to read the script, if possible, I would be happy to synch up the voices with the charactors for you, the captions are the only cheesy thing I saw, Honestly, though I also wondered about the girls too, then read this post to find there would be a part 2 😀 , so IMHO, it was cool, you have gained a fan!!!

    The game has built in support for voiceovers. It will also do lipsincing for you. I wouldn’t mind getting some help in that department as I don’t have much in the way of help there. 😉

    Not sure how I would handle that though, as the voiceover recording is done in-game. And these would obviously be out-of-game recordings.

    @direwolf wrote:

    I dont know if you are familiar with the term machinima, the term comes from machine “computer” and cinema, that is what you made, I would suggest if you are interested in checking out more machinima made using many different games to check out http://www.machinima.com/

    Yes I’m well aware of the term. Been a fan for a quite some time, since around the early Half-Life 1 days when I first started to see it.

    @direwolf wrote:

    I stayed away from the Movies game only because it was too Sims like, and I am a Sims Hater 😈 I know I know, that is narrow minded but we all have issues of some sort 😕

    I’m not real big on the Sims either. Buts thats the beauty of The Movies, you don’t have to play it at all really. You can just enter Sandbox mode, give yourself a ton of cash, turn off all the Simlike behaviour and just concentrate on shooting movies without having to worry about the needs of the actors. Thats what I did to shoot that movie, I don’t think I would have been able to cope with shooting the 70 someodd scenes in the standard game when having to worry about the actor’s stress levels. 😉

    @direwolf wrote:

    OK I have ALOT of issues, shut it!!! 😆

    Don’t we all. 😉

    @direwolf wrote:

    again, great work, looking forward to episode 2.

    Coming from you, that means a lot to me bro. 😉

    I’ve started working on it, just have a basic outline of how episode II is going to go, still won’t be the end of the series unless what I have comes up way short, but I doubt it will. Probably start shooting it today, last night was spent obtaining some new royalty free music clips I hope to put to use. 😉

    @direwolf wrote:

    I will reccomend what is to me one of the best pieces I have seen, It uses the Halflife 2 source engine, called A few good G men, the courtroom in the vid was made by a mapper, lip synching was done using Face Poser which comes with the game, Imagine the possibilties of using an awsome game and and making a map for the background, makes me wish i had more time on my hands.

    That looked great, but I wasn’t that impressed by it because of the fact that its just a direct rip-off of A Few Good Men. I prefer original work myself. 😉

    Thanks for the reply bud. I was hoping you’d have a look at it as I know you’re a machinima kind of guy. Glad you enjoyed it.

    Rob

    #29132

    DireWolf
    Participant

    @The Green APOC dude wrote:

    The game has built in support for voiceovers. It will also do lipsincing for you. I wouldn’t mind getting some help in that department as I don’t have much in the way of help there. 😉

    Not sure how I would handle that though, as the voiceover recording is done in-game. And these would obviously be out-of-game recordings.

    You have all the help you need if you ever decide you want voice overs,
    it would be easy for me to add the voice overs to the final cut, and then I would just re render the file with the voices added, when i made the zombie vid and added shots from the music video, it was not hard at all to line it up to the music, as long as you have the people who do the voices see the video as they are recording the wav file, that way the timing works, so a 10 second lip synch should have a 10 second wav file. there are a few tricks, like when the girl was on the phone, a camera angle of the backside of her would be great, and not hard to synch up at all, also driving scenes you wouldnt have to have them lip synched, you just add the voice and not film too close to the car, just enough to see the charactors, so you would be able to focus more on the important scenes and not be overwhelmed by having to lip synch the whole flick, a narrator is an other option, and very easy to add.

    And dont ever hesitate to ask, I am at your service, and would be more than happy to add the voice tracks to the finished video, in any format you need,

    @Ignokt wrote:

    I’ve started working on it, just have a basic outline of how episode II is going to go, still won’t be the end of the series unless what I have comes up way short, but I doubt it will. Probably start shooting it today, last night was spent obtaining some new royalty free music clips I hope to put to use. 😉

    in the machinima forums I have seen many people offering thier services for this, who will create music to fit the scenes, no royalties, just a mention at the end during the credits for other machinimists to see.

    @Bo Bo wrote:

    That looked great, but I wasn’t that impressed by it because of the fact that its just a direct rip-off of A Few Good Men. I prefer original work myself. 😉

    I like both to tell the truth, I would honestly love to see a whole movie recreated like this, as long as no money is being made from it, I say more power to you, it is a good way to grab the attention of people, because it is familiar.

    ok I will throw up one last link, this is not really machinima, but blew me away when i saw it, the video quality isnt the best but the effort to me more than makes up for it, it is a dance scene, with 2 players on a Dreamcast, using a game called Soul Reaver, it took them over a week just to figure out the button combinations for the dance moves, this could not have been easy to do, I just wish I could find my CD that has a better quality version of it 😕

    http://www.wimp.com/voldo/

    #29133

    Bobirov
    Participant

    That video was pretty funny bro. I liked that a lot. 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.