This topic contains 119 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Berem 5 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

cbx550f
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

@cbx550f wrote:

I’m a bit confused as to where that quote came from, but anyway….. 😉

: ) all very strange phantom quote. let me see if I can edit it…

@laptops Daddy wrote:

ok, i think i see. i’m a little out of my depth. are you saying that there’s a distinction between smoothing groups and vertex normals? and that scorched only uses the latter? so smoothing groups are(/should be) translated to normals at export, but aren’t actually supported by the game per se?

@gcamp? (pretending to be lt daddy with special website powers) wrote:

Exactly right. The smooting groups are used to generate the normals…

that make more sense?

Yup. 😉

@cbx550f wrote:

Laptop: Any reason you imported into MilkShape after exporting from Blender? (I mostly ask because if there’s a reason to do so, I may be able to remove that reason)

really just to demonstrate the milkshape default behaviour. but if you’re implying blender can export animated models, do it please?

Yeah, I know…. I want this too…. I’ll get on that one of these days. 😉

i had a look at the script. (barely speak a word of python, but)… could you do something like:

#normals
    if blender ses it's solid:
    file.write('n' + str(round(mesh.faces.no[0],4))) etc#use faces
    else:#i.e. if it's smooth
    file.write('n' + str(round(-mesh.faces
    .v[faceVerts-fv-1].no[0],4))) etc#use verts

?

AFAIK, I shouldn’t need to, as the MS3d ASCII format only uses vertex normals, which (and this may well be where I’m wrong) I think should be exported from blender as face normals if “set solid” and vertex normals if “set smooth”.

I’ll look into this over the weekend, and with a little luck, that’ll get me going to have another stab at exporting animations. 😉

Thanks for the feedback – this script is getting close to supporting everything we want it to, but unfortunately I don’t use it enough myself lately to drive me to do too much work on it…. it’s feedback like this that will drive further development, so keep it up. 🙂

cbx

cbx550f
    Participant

Fixed – smoothing groups are now supported.

See the screenie below – I “unsmoothed” the nose of my C-17 – it’s the same mesh as the rest of the fuselage.

Thanks for the feedback on this.

See https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=160348&package_id=206650 for updated release.

Cheers

cbx

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

excellent work! it’s finally happened, blender in combination with cbx’s script is now officially the tool of choice for the enthusiastic scorched modder. : ) i’m gonna go buy a waterproof scorched raincoat, and when i come back, i’m gonna draft a letter to the milkshape guy telling him we’re better than he is.
    (but i’m not gonna send it – that guy’s gonna be hunting me down : )

well done. sort the animated thing, and milkshape is obsolete.

cbx550f
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

well done. sort the animated thing, and milkshape is obsolete.

Thanks.

I took a little look at animations on the weekends, but didn’t have much time, and like usual, it made my head hurt. 😉

I’m really starting to want the animations again myself, so I’ll put some work into it soon.

cbx550f
    Participant

Split the posts about transparencies to http://scorched3d.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4802
    Good posts, Lappy, I’ll put some of that in the Wiki when I get a chance, thanks for the work on that – cbx

cbx550f
    Participant

Note here on the posts that I moved to another thread:

TODO: Add the alpha somehow to avoid the following hack:

@Laptop’s Daddy wrote:

Manual text edit of exported Milkshape ascii file:

I should be able to have it check for a second texture, and if it’s an alpha, use it.

Want to get animations working first though!

cbx

cbx550f
    Participant

Another note to self related to the above:

TODO: Add a checkbox for “Use the Scorched3d cludge for spheremaps

Also, I’ve been working on animations, and I have them exporting now…. things are animated! It’s separating the meshes into pieces that are inside out, but they are moving. 😉
    Hopefully soon.

cbx

S-killZ
    Participant

um… this is kind of pointless for me because my modeler has a “save as .txt” option in it! 😯 😛

cbx550f
    Participant

And thus your post was kinda pointless.

Have a Nice Day.

S-killZ
    Participant

yes i think your right… and about the screenshot of the plane… Go Canada!!! 😛 😛 😛

Mmph
    Participant

Thank you for doing this!!

Great exporter 🙂

Berem
    Participant

CBX could you upgrade the export script for the newest blender?

cbx550f
    Participant

@berem wrote:

CBX could you upgrade the export script for the newest blender?

Sure thing. (okay, so it’s been years…)

Check out http://vint.ca/blenderScripts for some new files.

Earlier today I found myself wanting a decent way to export from blender to Java for use in mobile devices, and needed to learn the new Blender Python API, so I thought I’d do so by re-writing this old script. As such, these are a bit of a quick hack at the moment, but I’ll try to fix them up.

I’ll assume that if you want to try these, you know how to install addons for Blender…. (note that after installing the files you’ll likely have to hit CTRL-SHIT-u and find the exporter and enable it)

To use it, ensure each mesh has a material (if there’s more than one material per object, it should just use the first one it finds and ignore the rest, but an error is possible), convert each mesh to triangles (in edit mode, hit CTRL-t), select the meshes to export, and export away.
    Known problems/limitations:
    Virtually no error checking
    Texture file names will (usually) have to be entered manually by editing the file
    Normals are currently messed up

Have fun!

Edit: Jan. 4, 2012 update: Fixed normals, axis alignment, eliminated duplicate vertices, and ambient lighting. Added emmissive light.

cbx550f
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

Check out http://vint.ca/blenderScripts for some new files.

Updated today:
    [*]UV Textures now supported
    [*]All problems with normals fixed
    [*]Animations mostly done. Animations appear, but not quite as expected – need to verify that the axis are correct, and also need to look into what minimum vertex weight we should use before that vertex is parented to the bone.

cbx

Irishbandit
    Participant

Thanks for the update. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 121 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.