This topic contains 119 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Berem 5 years, 2 months ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #12530

    cbx550f
    Participant

    Good stuff, thanks. 🙂

    I’ll likely do another release soon – there’s a couple other imporovements I’m thinking about first though.

    Cheers

    cbx

    #12531

    cbx550f
    Participant

    I’ve released a new version, 1.5. See the uppermost post for download and release information.

    Cheers,

    cbx

    #12532

    Laptops Daddy
    Participant

    I know next to nothing about Blender, but I think they stopped including mesh_tri2quad from 2.43 on?

    Nice script. (I like it when things work : )

    I’m having trouble with smoothing groups. Everything I export from Blender ends up completely smooth. (The acsii files are also a lot bigger than those exported from Milkshape (maybe part of the same issue?)).

    Is there any way to fix that? (Milkshape’s next to useless for any serious models and doesn’t seem to export smoothing groups at all).

    I’m having to manually combine Milkshape/Blender .txt files at the moment.

    (Be cool if someone could write a Milkshape export script for 3DS Max).

    #12533

    cbx550f
    Participant

    I’ll have a look at the smoothing groups prob this week if I get a chance.

    Don’t have time to look at it right now, but something tells me I may have messed that up in a change a while back such that it now only looks at vertex normals and not face normals.

    Thanks for the feedback, and give the topic a bump if I forget about it. 😉

    cbx

    #12534

    Berem
    Participant

    CBX I have a big problem, my machine crashed, so I loosed the belnder 2.42 installer, and your script dont work with the newest version of blender, please aid me thx.

    #12535

    jdog
    Participant

    @berem wrote:

    CBX I have a big problem, my machine crashed, so I loosed the belnder 2.42 installer, and your script dont work with the newest version of blender, please aid me thx.

    Just goto the blender site and redownload it. They should still have a copy of it to be downloaded.

    #12536

    Berem
    Participant

    Ohhh I dont find first, but I never thought that day should keep oldest versions from it, I searched with google on it, and I found it thx Jdog.

    #12537

    cbx550f
    Participant

    I updated to Blender 2.45 last night, and the script works (for me) without problems.
    *** EDIT: Not true, sorry, I was only on 2.44 ***
    Any more info on the issue would be helpful.

    @Laptop’s Daddy wrote:

    I know next to nothing about Blender, but I think they stopped including mesh_tri2quad from 2.43 on?

    Not sure – I’m not actually using it (it never really worked as documented, in my experience), so if it’s any problem, just delete that line.

    #12538

    cbx550f
    Participant
    #12539

    Laptops Daddy
    Participant

    Ok, I need some help.

    Script works perfectly (in that it doesn’t fail or crash and provides a usable ascii file), but I’m stuck with smoothing groups.

    I’ve certainly hit the limit with Milkshape functionality.

    If I’m going to take any Scorched mod (contest : ) to the next level, I must have smoothing groups.

    Blender screenshot (half solid/half smooth sphere as exported):

    Scorched screenshot (with blenders export having been imported into Milkshape and re-exported to ascii):

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks

    Ps:
    Cbx, I’m assuming that smoothing groups are supported by Scorched? You’re not just being accidentally very clever with your normals are you?

    Thanks for the hard work; I know you’re not obligated.

    #12540

    imported_gcamp
    Participant

    Cbx, I’m assuming that smoothing groups are supported by Scorched?

    They are not supported, the normals used are the normals in the file. If the file has the vertex normals correct then it will look ok in game.

    #12541

    Laptops Daddy
    Participant

    edited to allay confusion

    laptops daddy wrote (this posts original contents, not as quote):

    ok, i think i see. i’m a little out of my depth. are you saying that there’s a distinction between smoothing groups and vertex normals? and that scorched only uses the latter? so smoothing groups are(/should be) translated to normals at export, but aren’t actually supported by the game per se?

    gcamp (i guess) wrote:
    (must have used special site access or something. possibly distracted? : )

    Exactly right. The smooting groups are used to generate the normals.

    So long as the exported normals are correct, everthing should be cool. However, I’ve just checked the Milkshape export format and the smoothing groups do apear to be in the milkshape file as well. So scorched could also change the normals based on these groups (which it currently doesn’t do).

    So I guess this could be fixed in scorched too.

    #12542

    cbx550f
    Participant

    @laptops Daddy wrote:

    ok, i think i see. i’m a little out of my depth. are you saying that there’s a distinction between smoothing groups and vertex normals? and that scorched only uses the latter? so smoothing groups are(/should be) translated to normals at export, but aren’t actually supported by the game per se?

    Exactly right. The smooting groups are used to generate the normals.

    I’m a bit confused as to where that quote came from, but anyway….. 😉

    Whomever the quote was from was exactly right – the smoothing groups *should* be translated to normals at export. The way the export script works now is that it uses vertex normals, always. I thought this was the correct behavior, in that I thought that Blender would adjust the vertex normals if it is using smoothing, and just use the face normals if not using smoothing.
    I have never noticed anything wrong, but given the number of comments on this, I’m thinking perhaps my assumption was wrong. 😉
    I will check.

    Laptop: Any reason you imported into MilkShape after exporting from Blender? (I mostly ask because if there’s a reason to do so, I may be able to remove that reason)

    So long as the exported normals are correct, everthing should be cool. However, I’ve just checked the Milkshape export format and the smoothing groups do apear to be in the milkshape file as well. So scorched could also change the normals based on these groups (which it currently doesn’t do).

    I disagree – I don’t think Scorched should ever change normals – they should be as the modeller intended them to be…. I might be misunderstanding something here however.

    So I guess this could be fixed in scorched too.[/quote]

    #12543

    Laptops Daddy
    Participant

    @cbx550f wrote:

    I’m a bit confused as to where that quote came from, but anyway….. 😉

    : ) all very strange phantom quote. let me see if I can edit it…

    @laptops Daddy wrote:

    ok, i think i see. i’m a little out of my depth. are you saying that there’s a distinction between smoothing groups and vertex normals? and that scorched only uses the latter? so smoothing groups are(/should be) translated to normals at export, but aren’t actually supported by the game per se?

    @gcamp? (pretending to be lt daddy with special website powers) wrote:

    Exactly right. The smooting groups are used to generate the normals…

    that make more sense?

    @cbx550f wrote:

    Laptop: Any reason you imported into MilkShape after exporting from Blender? (I mostly ask because if there’s a reason to do so, I may be able to remove that reason)

    really just to demonstrate the milkshape default behaviour. but if you’re implying blender can export animated models, do it please?

    @cbx550f wrote:

    I don’t think Scorched should ever change normals – they should be as the modeller intended them to be…

    i think the idea is scorched could potentially use the smoothing group information to extrapolate normals, i guess this is the intended milkshape behaviour. i suppose milkshape should really dictate how its ascii file is structured : )

    on the other hand, scorched is way bigger than milkshape (maybe i’m biased). maybe it’s time there was an s3d ascii format. (i.e. milkshape ascii, but with smoothing groups translated into normals?)

    i had a look at the script. (barely speak a word of python, but)… could you do something like:

    #normals
    if blender ses it's solid:
    file.write('n' + str(round(mesh.faces.no[0],4))) etc#use faces
    else:#i.e. if it's smooth
    file.write('n' + str(round(-mesh.faces
    .v[faceVerts-fv-1].no[0],4))) etc#use verts

    ?

    #12544

    Laptops Daddy
    Participant

    @cbx550f wrote:

    I have never noticed anything wrong, but given the number of comments on this, I’m thinking perhaps my assumption was wrong. 😉

    i think the comments may be all me (except for the one that wasn’t), but please don’t let that stop you, i’m at least two people

    i can’t be the only person who needs smoothing groups.

    tank barrels are smooth

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 121 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.