This topic contains 119 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Berem 5 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

cbx550f
    Participant

Cool, good to hear you got it working in both Linux and Windows!

I downloaded the tanks to my laptop, I’ll have a peek at them when I get home. πŸ™‚

If anything’s bugging you about the export script, feel free to mention it!
    Good to know someone uses it other than me. πŸ˜‰

Cheers!

realaxis
    Participant

I did run into one issue I forgot to mention. In Windows, when I “recalc normals outside”, the normals are actually facing the wrong way in the game. If I flip them to face inward, it seems to work fine. Not sure if I missed something in the directions, but thought I should mention it.

Shark
    Participant

Coolness. I think Raptor mentioned once that he might make a shark-model. I’m not sure if that took off, but with this, I should be able to do it myself πŸ˜€

*Maniacal laughter, followed by a few bubbling sounds…*

cbx550f
    Participant

@realaxis wrote:

I did run into one issue I forgot to mention. In Windows, when I “recalc normals outside”, the normals are actually facing the wrong way in the game. If I flip them to face inward, it seems to work fine. Not sure if I missed something in the directions, but thought I should mention it.

Hmph. That’s odd. Did you check in Blender to see which way the normals are really pointing? (ie: with the mesh selected in edit mode, select “Show Normals” in the Edit window (F9). I know I’ve had some meshes before that Blender would calculate the normals wrong like that, rarely, but I’ve had it happen too.

Coolness. I think Raptor mentioned once that he might make a shark-model. I’m not sure if that took off, but with this, I should be able to do it myself

Cool, let us know how you make out!

Cheers

realaxis
    Participant

I did check the normals manually. Everything looked fine in blender. It isn’t a hastle to just recalc them inside. I’m guessing it isn’t your script that has the issue. Perhaps I’ll take an in-depth look through it and see how much python I remember.

Shark
    Participant

Hrm. While I do feel pretty confident in Blender, I haven’t been modelling stuff for long. So actually, I haven’t tried UV-mapping before. Which might be some of what’s going wrong now. I used the LSCM unwrapping feature and it seems to be working out fine in Blender… But..:
    Should I still apply materials and textures?
    What will your script try to include? Everything that’s marked/highlighted or just everything on the scene?
    Should it be scaled down to a certain size?

I’m asking because I’m still getting complaints from the script. It seems to output a milkshape-txt though, but when I put it in scorched3d, it just becomes a 0 polygon, empty, non-existant model πŸ™‚
    So clearly, I’m doing something wrong.

Otherwise, the model seems to work out better than I’d hoped πŸ˜‰

If you want to have a look at it:
    http://user-friendly.dk/shark.blend
    http://user-friendly.dk/sharktext.bmp

The first layer contains a cubic fish(shark?)-tank that’s supposed to be bluish and transparent when finished. Second layer is the shark itself (turretshark, gunfin, turretpivot and gunpivot objects). Fifth layer contains stuff like lights and camera, but I don’t suppose these are necessary, or what?

realaxis
    Participant

Answers to the questions… Yes, make a material with an image texture. Ann… it only exports what you have selected. I think scorched deals with scaling the model down… not certian though.

Shark
    Participant

Thanks!
    It works now! Wooo! πŸ˜€

On that note, I’m also getting the oddity with the normals. Blender 2.35 in Linux. Flipping them all to face inwards solves it, as mentioned. Not really a great problem, but weird nonetheless.

It also seems I have to work a little bit more on the orientation of my model. Ctrl-A certainly helped, but the gunfin is still a bit off πŸ˜‰

Anonymous
    Participant

Almost completely finished πŸ˜€

Just one last thing:
    If transparency is possible, how do I do it?
    BMP can’t have an alpha channel, and setting alpha under “Material” doesn’t help.
    It’s just because In the “Modelling for Scorched3d with Milkshape3d” post, he says that “Alpha textures are supported as well, but must meet the above specifications.”, but I’m getting uncertain if that means what I thought it meant… πŸ™‚

Shark
    Participant

Oops. That was me, there. Just forgot to log in πŸ™‚

cbx550f
    Participant

What will your script try to include? Everything that’s marked/highlighted or just everything on the scene?
    Should it be scaled down to a certain size?

The script will export everything that is selected (highlighted). If you have a camera selected (or lamp etc) the script will fail. I should fix this so it’ll ignore them.

Scale doesn’t matter for tanks, Scorched will scale the model accordingly. Weapons do need to be scaled in Blender though, as Scorched does not scale them.

Regarding transparencies, the script should set transparencies correctly based on the alpha setting of the material, but as far as I know, Scorched doesn’t use any alpha transparency when rendering the model.

On that note, I’m also getting the oddity with the normals. Blender 2.35 in Linux. Flipping them all to face inwards solves it, as mentioned. Not really a great problem, but weird nonetheless.

Hm. That’s odd. I don’t recall ever having that happen. Is it just on one particular mesh in the model, or all of them? Since two of you are having the same problem, I’ll assume for now that it is the script. I’ll test out your .blend at home and see what happens.

[qutoe]I’m asking because I’m still getting complaints from the script. It seems to output a milkshape-txt though, but when I put it in scorched3d, it just becomes a 0 polygon, empty, non-existant model [/quote]

Yeah, this will happen anytime that something goes wrong when exporting. The file is being written to “on the fly” when the script is running, such that when something fails, you end up with an incomplete file.

Thanks for the feeback guys!

Shark
    Participant

Regarding transparencies, the script should set transparencies correctly based on the alpha setting of the material, but as far as I know, Scorched doesn’t use any alpha transparency when rendering the model.

Ah, okay. Then I should propably drop the transparent watertank I’d planned. At least until S3D might accept transparent stuff.
    In which case the model is finished!

Hm. That’s odd. I don’t recall ever having that happen. Is it just on one particular mesh in the model, or all of them? Since two of you are having the same problem, I’ll assume for now that it is the script. I’ll test out your .blend at home and see what happens.

It happens to all the objects/meshes.

The updated ones are to be found here:
    http://user-friendly.dk/shark.zip

There is a conversion-ready model with the normals flipped and the shark-mesh placed a bit higher than the gun/rocketlauncher-meshes to compensate for a displacement during conversion. Ctrl-A didn’t work to solve that. Might be a bug in the script. Might also be me that’s doing something wrong though. Please do take a look πŸ™‚

There is also a render-ready model with stuff placed as it should look in blender, and normals not flipped (current avatar made from that one).

Should I make the resolution of the shark-texture smaller if I wish to have it included in the game, or what do you think? (question for gcamp, perhaps?)

cbx550f
    Participant

the shark-mesh placed a bit higher than the gun/rocketlauncher-meshes to compensate for a displacement during conversion. Ctrl-A didn’t work to solve that. Might be a bug in the script.

I’m glad you mentioned this – I had forgotten to mention this “feature” πŸ˜‰
    I’m betting the problem with a mesh being offset has to do with the mesh having a different centre point than the others. I find it good practice to always keep the 3d cursor in one place (preferably 0,0,0) and just move the3 meshes to where I need them, keeping their “centre” at the centre of the entire model. The centre can be set by positioning the 3d cursor where you want it, and hitting “centre cursor” in the edit buttons. (and don’t forget to do a CTRL-A after πŸ˜‰

Saved your new file – I’ll have a peek tonight and then maybe I can figure out the flipped normals problem.

Should I make the resolution of the shark-texture smaller if I wish to have it included in the game, or what do you think? (question for gcamp, perhaps?)

I’d guess that making it smaller wouldn’t make any difference in appearance. I’d say try making it smaller, and keep dividing it by two until it starts to look crappy, then go back up one size. (I should do the same with my own textures, but I’ve been too lazy)

Cheers!

Shark
    Participant

I’m glad you mentioned this – I had forgotten to mention this “feature” πŸ˜‰ I’m betting the problem with a mesh being offset has to do with the mesh having a different centre point than the others. I find it good practice to always keep the 3d cursor in one place (preferably 0,0,0) and just move the3 meshes to where I need them, keeping their “centre” at the centre of the entire model. The centre can be set by positioning the 3d cursor where you want it, and hitting “centre cursor” in the edit buttons. (and don’t forget to do a CTRL-A after πŸ˜‰

Okay. Hmm. If possible, I’d appreciate it if this, um, “feature” was removed from the script πŸ˜‰
    Either that or a possibility to remove it with a slight change in the script. Still, if possible, that is.
    I believe you did mention something about it. That the 3D-cursor should be placed centrally, at the base of the model. I believe I did that, actually, when I was finished (and then Ctrl-A’ed everything).
    It’s just that I like screwing around with that cursor a lot when modelling. I often want to set some obscure spot as the center of rotation or scaling of certain vertices. It seems a bit weird to me if that could screw up some things. I’d personally like it best if the model remains as it looks in blender, no matter what I’ve been doing to the 3D-cursor πŸ˜‰

cbx550f
    Participant

Okay. Hmm. If possible, I’d appreciate it if this, um, “feature” was removed from the script

Yeah, I’ll see what I can do about it – it kinda bugs me sometimes too. πŸ˜‰

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 121 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.