This topic contains 9 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  tasco_alberto 11 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Deathstryker
    Participant

I was browsing for Scorched files today on my File Sharing program and one came up that was a bit suspicious to me….

The file has many sources. It is labeled “Scorched3D 38.1b” and appears to be found on the Gnutella network. The file is an 851 Kb .ZIP file containing a Setup.exe file.

Do not download this file as it is NOT an official Scorched 3D file but instead a virus.

The virus inside was identified as “W32.ALCRA.B”. More information can be found about it here:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.alcra.b.html

jdog
    Participant

good to know there but I don’t think many people on here get the game files from there.

But you can get some of dires movies on there. I’ve been sharing them, but it seems that no one other then another schorcher wants them.

Thrax
    Participant

since the files are free, and publicly available here, anyone who wants
    it doesn’t need to resort to filesharing sources.
    sad that some putz would try it, to such a reliable game.

thanks for the heads up..

Deathstryker
    Participant

Of course not many people get their files from there but I’m sure there are some that might use file sharing for nearly everything and once they catch a virus it could be kinda too late so I’m simply giving a warning. We also wouldn’t want people to be misinformed that we transmit viruses now would we? 8)

No2117
    Participant

Thanks for the warning, I prefer using emule/bittorrent for downloading, even if it’s from scoureforge.

Deathstryker
    Participant

Btw, the same 851 KB file shares many file names it seems so watch out for it.

warnow
    Participant

Look I may be new to this forum.
    But i know anyone useing file-shereingP2P or anythig of the sorts is at very high risk.even if you have the latist norton spamgard.
    I Lost My computer once to 20 trojens in a spring loaded file due to Kazaa.
    Just stay away from p2p or file shering

FlyingApplePie
    Participant

I fell victim to this virus 😯 it really bites. say you downloaded it with limewire, the program would continue to pull itself open and drive everyone crazy. I did a system refresh though, and everything was fine. Lost the program, though. I went here and downloaded it. No problems :mrgreen:

cbx550f
    Participant

@flyingapplepie wrote:

I fell victim to this virus 😯 it really bites. say you downloaded it with limewire, the program would continue to pull itself open and drive everyone crazy. I did a system refresh though, and everything was fine. Lost the program, though. I went here and downloaded it. No problems :mrgreen:

Good to hear it worked out alright, Pie.

Welcome to Scorched! 🙂

cbx

MacEng
    Participant

its easy to use file sharing without getting viruses. you just have to avoid the exe files. and if you must get an exe file, this is why you keep old computers. I still have my old computer hooked up, and when i dl an exe, i dl it on that computer first to test if its a virus. if it dies, who cares, its a crap computer.

tasco_alberto
    Participant

Aye!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.