This topic contains 10 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Etarion 9 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

xtc
    Participant

I think batteries price on main should be made 5000 and fixed.

* EDIT:

We had a little discussion today while playing and the idea was stated that I was almost understanding but couldnt formulate myself.

Unlike any weapons and shields items, parachutes and batteries have no equivalent or analogue in the game, they are unique kind of items, living essentials.

That is why so important to have fixed prices for them.

Lasers are a problem (discussion following).
    (You mostly cant afford batteries until the late rounds not to ruin your economy. It makes you vulnerable to people who use lasers. They disable you and you cant fight back even once, because batteries are too expensive to have.)

But any significant damage you receive in early rounds is problem as well.
    It creates much disbalance IMO.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Buy lasers yourself as a backup for when you are in that position, it’s what I keep meaning to do. Infact I did do, until ‘we’ made me RQ (a weak one, no swearing or anything) just now.

However I do find it a lil rich coming from the guy that was MIRVing people from… the 3rd round was it on Grim before myself the following round?

Lasers are very limited though. When they can be used they are reasonably effective, but you can often dig yourself, or move to lower ground as defense.
    I personally think the battery price is high, but reasonable given the prices of everything else, which is changing my game plans quite considerably (when I remember).

BTW, its been good playing with you, given your skill level now, I am assuming you were a top player in your day (old timer :p)

Mcb Lover
    Participant

@xtc wrote:

I think batteries price on main should be made 5000 and fixed.
    Current price is fair to some degree since it is based on free market.
    But for the lasers.
    You mostly cant afford batteries until the late rounds not to ruin your economy. It makes you vulnerable to people who use lasers. They disable you and you cant fight back even once, because batteries are too expensive to have.
    It creates much disbalance IMO.

hm….x…im not agree with you now….feel free use that tactics with me and ill show u that battaries should cost 30 K:) lasers not suck when it using very good player? but good players not using lasers:) buy fuel ot teleport position when they ( lasering man or Katja:) ) lasering you. You know actually… You must understand that if cost on battaries lift up it wont be our problem…it ll problem of noobs.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

But to make fuel or teles effective you need to have batteries as the first shot will take health down to 30-50, which will let you know your beaing lasered, then, as u move, u die as the laser is instant.

If against a very good laser user, then it doesnt matter what you do, unless u move below the player as they will always hit u before you have a chance to do anything.

I would have thought you would have known these things Vitos as you are such an amazing player..

Guess I was wrong.

xtc
    Participant

The point is not in buying lasers self. I could reply any other weapon, bringing a message painted on the warhead – “dont laser me, it’ll cost you more”. Could but for the batteries price.
    When I would meet such laser guys in v 40.1, I always had at least 1 pack of batteries.

Yes V and you cant drive or teleport against lasers, they work instantly.

About MIRVing in round 3… you not always have game starting with 2 kills in round 1. My best ever was 7 kills, sure I didnt have any economic problems that game. But we not speak about such cases of course.

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

Lasers are very limited though.

What is unlimited is number of people who laser much better then doing regular shots (in fact often my impression is they connect to main only to laser), and they ruin your rounds now and then if you had the “luck” of being chosen as target.

And digging self (even if you are not too high so its not working), not a solution – thats invitation for rollers or napalm of other players. You waste your turn, you limit your own ability to shoot (due to being in pit) and you become vulnerable. And all that can be done to you by single nasty laserman. Again, even for that you need batts and they are expensive. I’d prefer to have them and kill the laserer so that he understand there is no benefit in lasering me.

As for using lasers. I would do it sometimes, in fact had the most kills with heavy one in 40.1 s.2, but now with drawlandscape option disabled I have no idea how to use them. When I dont see target I cant aim, when I see – I rather use another weapon.

Thrax
    Participant

@xtc wrote:

The point is not in buying lasers self. I could reply any other weapon, bringing
    a message painted on the warhead – “dont laser me, it’ll cost you more”. Could but for the batteries price.
    When I would meet such laser guys in v 40.1, I always had at least 1 pack of batteries.

Yes V and you cant drive or teleport against lasers, they work instantly.

About MIRVing in round 3… you not always have game starting with 2 kills in round 1. My best ever was 7 kills, sure I didnt have any economic problems that game. But we not speak about such cases of course.

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

Lasers are very limited though.

What is unlimited is number of people who laser much better then doing regular shots (in fact often my impression is they connect to main only to laser), and they ruin your rounds now and then if you had the “luck” of being chosen as target.

And digging self (even if you are not too high so its not working), not a solution – thats invitation for rollers or napalm of other players. You waste your turn, you limit your own ability to shoot (due to being in pit) and you become vulnerable. And all that can be done to you by single nasty laserman. Again, even for that you need batts and they are expensive. I’d prefer to have them and kill the laserer so that he understand there is no benefit in lasering me.

As for using lasers. I would do it sometimes, in fact had the most kills with
    heavy one in 40.1 s.2, but now with drawlandscape option disabled I have no idea how to use them. When I dont see target I cant aim, when I see – I rather use another weapon.

Tactics are tactics.. Lasers are currently the cheapest non-dirt weapon
    due to lack of use. The reward on mains for damaging is pitifully
    laughable, so unless i succeed in a kill, all the ammo is totally wasted.

One pack of batteries heals enough that I would have to use 3 heavys or
    5 regular lasers to kill you. Comparing prices, it costs me more to kill
    you, than it does for you to resist me. Where as one single baby-missile
    is totally free, and will kill me instantly with no chance to heal.

You are incorrect on the numbers however. There are very few who can
    use lasers even half as good as I. And i’ve never “EVER” removed the
    landscape in order to aim. Your chances of killing a laser using player
    is far greater than someone wielding a mirv, leapfrog, or even standard
    rollers.

If i choose to play in mains…, and wished to wield only lasers, i would
    only hold an advantage as long as it took for players to discover it.
    Thier “Main-server”-Shield piercing ability is only usefull if i live to get a
    second shot. Healing only up to at least 75hp will require me to then need
    a 3rd shot. Long enough for the rest to see… and erase me. If I fail to
    kill even one player, there is no way i’ll have enough cash to attempt it
    the next round.

So.. Continue to buy at least one pack of batts and whatever ammo
    you choose, and laser-users will only be your equals.. not your masters.

xtc
    Participant

@thrax wrote:

Tactics are tactics.. Lasers are currently the cheapest non-dirt weapon
    due to lack of use. The reward on mains for damaging is pitifully
    laughable, so unless i succeed in a kill, all the ammo is totally wasted.

One pack of batteries heals enough that I would have to use 3 heavys or
    5 regular lasers to kill you. Comparing prices, it costs me more to kill
    you, than it does for you to resist me. Where as one single baby-missile
    is totally free, and will kill me instantly with no chance to heal.

You are incorrect on the numbers however. There are very few who can
    use lasers even half as good as I. And i’ve never “EVER” removed the
    landscape in order to aim.

If i choose to play in mains…, and wished to wield only lasers, i would
    only hold an advantage as long as it took for players to discover it.
    Thier “Main-server”-Shield piercing ability is only usefull if i live to get a
    second shot. Healing only up to at least 75hp will require me to then need
    a 3rd shot. Long enough for the rest to see… and erase me. If I fail to
    kill even one player, there is no way i’ll have enough cash to attempt it
    the next round.

All this is true about their usage by, hmmm, lets use word – adequate player.
    Speaking about the whole game course and negative sides of using lasers during it, of course one who wants to use lasers is not in any kind of too favourable conditions, he has to consider it and use only when situation is proper, and he can get advantage only due to skill and reasonable attitude to the game situations which is in accordance to the general game flow, so it is all equal and fair.

But dont compare yourself or the kind, playing the game with plan and strategy. My point is about people who are not going for any kind of effectiveness. They just connect and use mostly lasers because it gives them fun or its the only thing they managed to learn in this game. They are not concerned about economy, result of game, and even survival – often ignoring the fact they obviously gonna be killed first shot and still lasering somewhere. They finish games with 2-3 or less kills total. They just enjoy using lasers. Its their right to play this way, of course. But getting disabled with their lasers is simply annoying, and it was never too big problem when batteries price was reasonable.
    Now it is, as we too often have to say no to the expensive batteries…

Thrax
    Participant

@xtc wrote:

All this is true about their usage by, hmmm, lets use word – adequate player.
    Speaking about the whole game course and negative sides of using lasers during it, of course one who wants to use lasers is not in any kind of too favourable conditions, he has to consider it and use only when situation is proper, and he can get advantage only due to skill and reasonable attitude to the game situations which is in accordance to the general game flow, so it is all equal and fair.

But dont compare yourself or the kind, playing the game with plan and strategy. My point is about people who are not going for any kind of effectiveness. They just connect and use mostly lasers because it gives them fun or its the only thing they managed to learn in this game. They are not concerned about economy, result of game, and even survival – often ignoring the fact they obviously gonna be killed first shot and still lasering somewhere. They finish games with 2-3 or less kills total. They just enjoy using lasers. Its their right to play this way, of course. But getting disabled with their lasers is simply annoying, and it was never too big problem when batteries price was reasonable.
    Now it is, as we too often have to say no to the expensive batteries…

You could always pettition Gavin. Have him activate the
    existing Laser-Proof function to 1-2 shields.. or create new ones.
    Or if you wish, Make propperly Lethal lasers.. so that you aren’t left
    wounded. We, as Devs, did consider adding the usage of Batteries
    to Lasers, as was in the Classic Scorched-Earth 1.5.. but it was left
    un-decided. Either of the first options would require weapon changes
    that already exist in other mods, so would be resisted strongly.

Also.. If a player has achieved the skill to pin-point laser you from at
    least half the map away now with the landscape un-removable, I would
    consider that worthy of moderate respect, similar to Vihor’s 1-shot
    accuracy with a BBM. As many have tried and seen.. it’s not as easy as
    it looks. Also taking in the factor of the lasers variable damage vs length,
    Achieving optimal pain is something that comes with much more practice
    than the ability to lob a funky/hog ‘near’ your target..

Of course, if you choose.. We can always switch to Dirting. And there-by
    also raise the prices of Riot devices.. 😀

Deathbal
    Participant

Lasers shouldn’t be instant. They should have a speed, say 184,000 miles per second. 😆

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@deathbal wrote:

Lasers shouldn’t be instant. They should have a speed, say 184,000 miles per second. 😆

smarty pants farty bottom

xtc
    Participant

@thrax wrote:

You could always pettition Gavin. Have him activate the
    existing Laser-Proof function to 1-2 shields.. or create new ones.
    Or if you wish, Make propperly Lethal lasers.. so that you aren’t left
    wounded.

Again, shields are expensive. Probably exactly the absence of this property on main is a good thing, because it makes lasers effective in round 10 against shielded and moving/teleporting targets.

We, as Devs, did consider adding the usage of Batteries
    to Lasers, as was in the Classic Scorched-Earth 1.5..

That sounds interesting. And also plasma blast…

Also.. If a player has achieved the skill to pin-point laser you from at
    least half the map away now with the landscape un-removable, I would
    consider that worthy of moderate respect

Thats not about respect, its about being disabled without a chance to fight back… as the role of this weapon in main is set to be not-killing with one shot.

@deathbal wrote:

Lasers shouldn’t be instant. They should have a speed, say 184,000 miles per second.

– What does expression ‘at the speed of light’ mean?
    – It is when you manage to take beer out of the fridge before the lighting is on.

Etarion
    Participant

Well, if you team up on someone, Heavy Lasers ARE an instant kill (have seen that happen by chance two times) 😈

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.