This topic contains 9 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Xirer 13 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Xirer
    Participant

During internet play I keep getting kicked out of the server every few rounds right before buying starts after the map has loaded. Each time I have clicked on a button, either OK or CANCEL.

The game crashes to the desktop and I get a message saying:

Scorched3D: Client: Failed to find stimulus 8 in state 8

Then it asks if I want to load failsafe default settings. I have tried playing both with my settings, which worked great up until tonight for some reason, and now with the failsafe settings. There is no difference between the two settings modes in terms of the error and when it crops up.

I am running Debian Linux “Sarge” with kernel 2.6.6. I am on an AMD 2700+, 1 gig of RAM, 128mb ATI Radeon 9700 AGP vid card. My driver for that card was self compiled with the help of a how-to on the net. ATI does not have a driver that works easily, and it is best used when compiled alongside the kernel the person uses. I get 250fps regularly in Scorched3d, and I am on a T1 connection. Yesterday, everything worked perfectly playing on the internet, but tonight I have been dropped 5 times so far.

I will attach a shot of the error box I get.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

The fail safe settings should not make any difference to this problem. Or the graphics drivers.

The error means it is trying to show the AutoDefense dialog when it is already being shown. I am not sure how this can happen, especially if it worked before. Are you clicking ok/cancel twice?

Anonymous
    Participant

Highly possible. This problem occurs mostly when I click out answers to prompts quickly as the game has a time-limit that has begun counting down.

ALSO: This problem has shown up alongside another more minor, yet still annoying quirk of the game when I am purchasing. I click the buy button once, yet the items sometimes treat it as a double click. (ie, I want to buy 10 batteries and I end up with 20 instead) I do not know what sets off this problem, but I think it might be the cause of the “stimulus 8” error.

Is it possible to get my error “Scorched3D: Client: Failed to find stimulus 8 in state 8” by answering a specific question which no longer is on the screen? If I managed to somehow click “OK” twice on the store window before it closed, would it try to pop up the autodefense window twice as well? Once for each exit click?

I think then that my real problem is with my mouse treating one click as two every once and awhile. The phantom 2nd click problem will happen on one click, but then not on the next 5-25. It just happens when it feels like as best as I can tell. Every once and awhile I must get an extra phantom click when I close the store, which tries to open up the autodefense twice.

Any ideas on the mouse issue? I am using a usb microsoft intellimouse explorer currently.

Xirer
    Participant

The above message was mine, forgot to log in.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

I’m not sure why you are getting two clicks, i’ll have a look into it. But that would definitely cause the problems you are seeing.

Xirer
    Participant

It may not be a problem with the game, it is probably just me clicking twice. I wouldn’t be doing it consciously, but the game would get two clicks from the mouse just the same. My mouse button is sensitive and I have built up that muscle memory of the lightning doubleclick built in to my hand now.

Now I am no coder in any powerful language, but I can comprehend most all code I see, as well as copy pieces to modify or create what I want. I just can not author something from scratch.

Is there an easy way to refuse an additional mouseclick from being passed to the game for a static amount of time after a previous click? All I would need is just that 1/10th of a second after every mouse click to refuse additional mousebutton1 activity to make the game (optionally in config perhaps) more tolerant to rapid succession mouse input. Since I am the only person who has this problem as far as I know, it would be nice if I could add a snippet to the game’s code, or add a module/applet that is called during gameplay only.

How hard would it be for me to do something like this? Is it possible to do this and still be playable online? Another solution perhaps could be found in a console script for Scorched3D. You would see basic scripts like this for the game Halflife’s console which were just lists of console commands inside the game; could the same be done here? I haven’t examined the console commands very closely for Scorched3D, so I have no clue one way or the other.

Thanks again for your time talking with me.

hobbesme
    Participant

@anonymous wrote:

I think then that my real problem is with my mouse treating one click as two every once and awhile. The phantom 2nd click problem will happen on one click, but then not on the next 5-25. It just happens when it feels like as best as I can tell. Every once and awhile I must get an extra phantom click when I close the store, which tries to open up the autodefense twice.

Any ideas on the mouse issue? I am using a usb microsoft intellimouse explorer currently.

More than likely, your mouse buttons are sensitive and/or are becoming more sensitive with age. Like all mechanical parts, buttons/contacts wear out or become sensitive with use. Switch contacts are usually rated for 10,000s or 100,000s of uses.

For the previous four years, I used a Logitech optical iFeel MouseMan. I LOVED the form-factor. However, at just under two years of owning my first one, my primary mouse button increasingly began to register my single clicks as double clicks. At first, it was occassional; then periodic; as the weeks passed, it was near impossible to single click.

Since the mouse had a warranty, I called Logitech. They sent me a new iFeel MouseMan. And just a few months short of two years, the second one began failing in the same exact way. Since Logitech no longer manufactures or sells that form-factor, I had to buy a new mouse — the Logitech Cordless MouseMan Optical.

Apparently this is a common problem, although Logitech & Microsoft both claim that the average lifetime of all their mice is five years. Obviously, ALL their mice do NOT survive heavy mouse usage for five years. For gamers especially, I would think mouse lifetime would be MUCH shorter than five years.

Since I use my mouse primarily for software development, I guess it’s just an equipment expense that I’ll need to periodically update.

As for the software patch. I would think the current double-click error behavior is a bug. If a single-click AND ONLY a single-click is desired, then the lack of the software to filter double-clicks and instead output an error dialog is NOT user-friendly or desirable. Ideally, the software should NOT allow double-clicks on single-click button choices.

But that’s just my opinion.

Deathstryker
    Participant

My Logitech mouse has lasted for 5 years so far and I use the comp everyday. It’s a normal wheelmouse. The left mouse button doesn’t have as much resistance as it once did but it’s still holding up rather well. Maybe you should stand clear of the MouseMan mice. (Is this also the plural form of a computer mouse?)

Xirer
    Participant

@hobbesme wrote:

More than likely, your mouse buttons are sensitive and/or are becoming more sensitive with age…

Apparently this is a common problem, although Logitech & Microsoft both claim that the average lifetime of all their mice is five years. Obviously, ALL their mice do NOT survive heavy mouse usage for five years. For gamers especially, I would think mouse lifetime would be MUCH shorter than five years.

Now that I think about it, this mouse is about 2 years old now, and it does happen to be my third one of the model. The first two actually both went bad with a short in the cable which prevented all input unless I lifted, shook, and banged against it against my desk (Banging helped me, not mouse). Doing so usually bought me another 10-15 minutes of error free usage, but repeating that grew old quickly. Those first two mice went out after 6 months of heavy gaming each. The third mouse enjoyed a much more relaxed tour of duty, but it too may need to be retired now.

@hobbesme wrote:

As for the software patch… Software to filter double-clicks and instead output an error dialog is NOT user-friendly or desirable. Ideally, the software should NOT allow double-clicks on single-click button choices, but that’s just my opinion.

The good news is the problem has gone away. I don’t the cause of the problem, so it could have been software, hardware, or just my hand. I don’t really care to know the cause so long as it stays away, and with any luck, no one will have a problem like this again.

… though I didn’t purchase auto-defense this time tonight, so the prompt for shields and ‘chutes was never asked. Perhaps I should test that out and see if that prompt is the only prompt which has this problem. Each time I have crashed, it has been the exact same error message which apparently points to the defense computer prompt before the first turn.

Any rate, thanks for all the help and input guys.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

As for the software patch. I would think the current double-click error behavior is a bug. If a single-click AND ONLY a single-click is desired, then the lack of the software to filter double-clicks and instead output an error dialog is NOT user-friendly or desirable. Ideally, the software should NOT allow double-clicks on single-click button choices.

I am inclined to agree with you. I think I have found the source of the problem and have fixed it. The Scorched window manager could get out of sync with the game state for mouse input and keyboard only. Although I cannot replicate the original problem so I cannot be 100% sure it is fixed.

Xirer
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

Although I cannot replicate the original problem so I cannot be 100% sure it is fixed.

I assume the fix will show up in the next revision. I will try my hand at clicking faster than the game can prompt to see if it craters again. I doubt it will though if you fixed the possible out-of-sync problem.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.