This topic contains 23 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Irishbandit 9 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Race
    Participant

Hey guys, I like what I see on this site!

I was just wondering, I’m looking for a much older version of this game (Maybe it’s not exactly this game, but I can’t for the life of me remember it’s original title). I had it on my old Windows 95 a good 5 years ago (give or take), Got a new Computer, and years later I came across your website with Scorched 3D, a super-amped version of what I used to kill free time with. I’m going to try this game out, and it looks great, I just would like to find the original game for old time’s sake…

I believe it used an OpenGL engine, some midi for it’s music, and wav sounds for the weapons. It also had goofy quotes from the computer oponents like “Remember the Alamo!” and between each battle, with the money you earned you could buy supplies like Coolant, Napalm, and other weapons to make your tank much more powerful. I thought I had found what I was looking for when I look at descriptions from an old “Scorched Earth” game, but the screenshots they displayed was flat 2d, not 3d. I’m used to using your mouse to rotate a Randomly generated Land-filled Cylinder and blowing up about 2 to 8(?) opponents, and the terrain around them.

I hope it’s somewhere across the internet, or in someone elses memory other than mine. Maybe the name of it is completely different. I hope someone here recalls what I’m talking about. I miss the ol’ gal.

Anyway, I’m going to give this Scorched 3D a spin,
    Thanks for the help. I’m pretty sure I’ll enjoy this as much as it’s lost predecessor.

Bring on the Nukes!

PS. Is there a page listing any forum rules? Anything I should know other than the basic “be a good boy, use good grammar, no spam, flaming, rudeness” etc? I would like to look through them before I end up breaking a few 😛

cbx550f
    Participant

BOY
    Participant

um do you mean the original scorched earth mother of all games?

http://scorch.classicgaming.gamespy.com/

Wowbagger
    Participant

I cant believe it….Boy just spammed the forum 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

jdog
    Participant

@wowbagger wrote:

I cant believe it….Boy just spammed the forum 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

Speaking of spam…
    *look around for sondra*

Irishbandit
    Participant

Was it the 3d dos game called genocide.

Race
    Participant

Actually, that was wasn’t it. Here, I whipped up a quick sketch of what I’m talking about. The game was played like a 3D game, but diddnt use any actual Polygons (I don’t know what kind of engine it was). You were able to use your mouse to rotate the Cylinder/Terrain view in any angle you want. It looked a little something like this:

The tanks I drew are kinda big, they were alot smaller, but you get the idea. The terrain would have been alot more in-depth too, the hills i drew are kinda flat-ish compared to the game’s terrain. The status panel on the left was just a random whipup of what all I could remember since I could not remember everything it had on the actual panel. And you did have the option to take a turn to jump somewhere else on the screen with your tank.

I’ll keep a lookout, and show you guys if I ever find it. And if any of you recall a game or a screenshot like the sketch above, let me know.

Til then, I’m gonna practice Scorched 3D online.
    Toodles.

fab4
    Participant

Hmm, here’s two possiblities

Think Tanks http://www.garagegames.com/products/12

BZFlag http://www.bzflag.org/

alenofx
    Participant

Hi,

did you find that game?
    This is the same I’m looking for!

I remember that in the about menu there is a programmer that says “code for food” or something similar… but I don’t remember the game title… 🙁

Thank you!

FREAK
    Participant

That looks extremely familiar…

Hold on ill look for what i think it is…

FREAK
    Participant

My god it took me forever to find this game.

I am not sure if this is it.

It looks a bit like your pic but witha ll the health and status and everything on the top of the screen instead of the side…

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/genocide/screenshots

alenofx
    Participant

Thank you ~FREAK~, but it isn’t “genocide”… 🙁
    The graphics are better in the other game, with the cylindrical terrain… but i don’t remember the side of menu… 😥

Race
    Participant

Holy crap, maybe it was genocide? Those screenshots are almost EXACTLY what that old game looked like! From a distance, that’s what the maps looked like, only there were no volcanoes, and I think they were randomly generated. the fields were cylindrical, and used pixels (i think) instead of polygons… you might be onto something!

I’m going to see if they have older version of this, maybe that’s what I’m looking for!

I’m also not sure if it was considered a DOS game since I played it in windowed mode all the time.

Irishbandit
    Participant

@race wrote:

Holy crap, maybe it was genocide? Those screenshots are almost EXACTLY what that old game looked like! From a distance, that’s what the maps looked like, only there were no volcanoes, and I think they were randomly generated. the fields were cylindrical, and used pixels (i think) instead of polygons… you might be onto something!

I’m going to see if they have older version of this, maybe that’s what I’m looking for!

I’m also not sure if it was considered a DOS game since I played it in windowed mode all the time.

You could play it in a windowed environment i could never get it to play on anything after windows 98se with a pentium 200mhz. I still am thinking of trying a virtual pc.

Deathstryker
    Participant

@irishbandit wrote:

You could play it in a windowed environment i could never get it to play on anything after windows 98se with a pentium 200mhz. I still am thinking of trying a virtual pc.

What a coincidence, I just got through downloading Virtual PC… I plan on installing FreeDOS on it soon and trying out all my old DOS games. If you want, I can let you know how it goes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.