This topic contains 72 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  xtc 9 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

xtc
    Participant

@deathbal wrote:

I had an epiphany.

Shhhhh DB! Keep it quiet! Evil psychiatrists are everywhere! Don’t give us away!

Lets do an MCB tournament like world cup soccer.

Who’s in?

Everything is cool about the idea but the luck with placements… someone may lose only due to getting several unlucky in one game. I think more then 1 pass for a person is needed to reduce such chance.

Mcb Lover
    Participant

+1 Deathbal (you know:)

Deathbal
    Participant

1 pass? In the first round, you get to play 3 games no matter what. The top 2 from each group advance to the elimination round.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Nice idea db, however, a few points.

This is a British game, hence its ‘Football’ :p

I also wonder if it would be poss to have the best of the 3rd placed players go through somehow.
    Would be a lil tricky to work out, but some of the best players could end up 3rd for various reasons.

I am DEFINATELY up for it too and would be willing to record any games I am around for to be a spectator.

Might even be a good idea to have people record their games anyway, would help to prove fair play, other than ruler users n the like of course.

Would be an idea to ‘seed’ people prior to starting aswell, to try to ensure that the best players are spread out, this would be a bit sucky for the lesser skilled / practiced players, but would ensure that the best players should end up in the finals, unless someone plays out of their skin and earns the right to be there.

xtc
    Participant

@deathbal wrote:

1 pass? In the first round, you get to play 3 games no matter what. The top 2 from each group advance to the elimination round.

I want to say that the result (at any stage) should be determined basing on two games, not one. Each plays with each two times, and not at once.

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

Might even be a good idea to have people record their games anyway

Its exactly the thought I was going to reply into ‘cheating’ thread. If someone is accused in such thing, it is definitely the way to prove your skills are real.
    You need to record an online game you had and then have witnesses who participated that game say that they recognize the game and the events happened; so that everyone can see there are no grids, aids, modifications etc. in your scorched screen and your playing is fair.
    Though, not everyone have possibilities to make the video… you also need to upload somewhere these huge mega(or giga?)bytes then. And witnesses need to have fast and free (or very cheap) inet to be able to download it and watch then…

What do you need to make such video? I believe there must be special software that grabs the very content of your screen and records it on the fly…

Deathbal
    Participant

First of all we need at least 16 participants. As of right now it doesn’t look like we’re going to get 5.

As far as seeding is concerned, I have already planned that out. For example…..you are not going to see a group consisting of Naka, Vihor, Vitos, and xtc……Just like the world cup, I will split up the best 8, two in each group and the rest will be random.

XTC……I intend to do this world cup style. If someone has bad placements or a bad game and gets eliminated then too bad. That is what makes a tournament exciting. There is the eliment of luck involved. If not for that then we might as well crown the best 3 players now and not even play. I know for a fact i am not the best mcb player. But I want that slim chance to be able to win.

I’m hoping players like Vihor, naka, sabi, (NP), Jinx, outer, TraT, and other great players come out of hiding for this tourney…….It could be very entertaining to see how it pans out.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Fraps was pointed out to me for recording and is what I use, it uses a fair few cpu cycles and, with my settings and pre compression is 1GB per minute however as Direwolf shows so well, this can be recorded in a lower resolution and then compressed to a very reasonable size.
    However, this does not prove that you do not use additional tools like rulers etc…
    Possibly those with webcams could hook them up for skype video calls, this would take away the recording compressing and uploading issue away, would just require people to have web cams and enough bandwidth to run them (some people have capped connections, others insufficient spare cpu cycles etc).

Anyway, back to the actual topic.

It would be nice to have more than one chance at each player, but alas, the world is not perfect and there would still be people moaning after that they had bad luck for both games and demand a 3rd…. a 4th.. 5th… until they win (cant imagine who plays this game purely to win???)

I am sure it will be possible to get 16 people to put their names down, how many would actually play is another matter, but it wouldnt be a decent tourney without the top players. I.E the previous xmas tourney… how the HELL did I get third, especially 2 months ago when I had half the ability I do now.

Reminds me a World Cyber Games tournament for Project Gotham Racing 2 a few years back, I would have probably won that even tho I was about 50th best in the world, purely because the best players didnt know about it / CBA to enter.

Maybe a few threats would be in order 😈

xtc
    Participant

@deathbal wrote:

XTC……I intend to do this world cup style. If someone has bad placements or a bad game and gets eliminated then too bad. That is what makes a tournament exciting.

That was just a thought DB, I like the idea anyway and I’m completely with you in for it.

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

However, this does not prove that you do not use additional tools like rulers etc…

I always thought and still do that rulers are more of a joke. How can you make the scale of the image on your screen very certain to use ruler? It is never the same. Trying to follow some fixed values, you rather achieve the opposite – mad inaccuracy 😆

However even if there is a way, watchers will simply see for example when someone is too often keeping the view on landscape from above (or other certain position) for a long time.

Possibly those with webcams could hook them up for skype video

Webcams can’t give enough quality…
    But I think after few years the technology will develop so that almost everyone will be able to do such things easily…

Mcb Lover
    Participant

nah…ill never going proov my skill anymore. I did it too much..so enough this sht for me and webcams as well.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

I’ll be up for some of that. MCB contest. : ) Vitos knows it. But you’ll need a few more participants. I’m not gonna enter if it’s gonna be a walkover.

Another condition, you’ll need to prohibit square counting and such. It’s good enough for me if it’s stated as prohibited. (It’s not like you can’t tell).

To answer x’s question about fixed scale. Each level is identical in size from one wall to another. “Warp grids” can be edited and enlarged, and textures can be modified.

Far as videos go, I would recommend something called Growler Gun Cam. It’s much better than fraps.

One last point re ‘more than one pass’. We need to avoid an unlucky bad start affecting the outcome of a whole match. (e.g. stuck behind a mountain for a couple of rounds with the wind against you so you can’t reach). I think we either need to repeat things (maybe make it a best out of 3), or give infinite m’s c’s and b’s so that any early disadvantage isn’t carried through to later rounds through lack of cash.

Rommel
    Participant

Hi Vitos:

You’ve NEVER proved anything to my satisfaction … @Mcb Lover wrote:

nah…ill never going proov my skill anymore. I did it too much..so enough this sht for me and webcams as well.

… but I’m not surprised that now that you are being given the opportunity, you are backing out.

Web cam your sceen and show us what youve got.

Rommel

Look out cheater, you banned next! 😛

Deathbal
    Participant

I have no problem recording my game. But do you really think everyone that joins is going to set up a recorder? I do not think it should be required. But I will volunteer for it.

As far as getting people that signed their name to play…….This isn’t like other tounaments. You get your opponent, you can set up the match anytime.

Peanut, you do get more than one chance. In the first round (group round) you get 3 games. You can lose 1 and still get through. After that round it won’t be the case. Like I said before, if the best players don’t have a chance to lose, might as well crown them now.

Now to your point about the 3rd placed player getting through. All this depends on how many people join. I did the most logical setup for 16. If more join, more will get through and there will be more games. But 16 is minimum IMO.

Mcb Lover
    Participant

Hi Rommel…i told all and anymore not going disscustion it in future FYI…
    And anyway i havnt webcam and wont buying…Any questions and purposes?

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

X, with rulers I agree with what your saying, but you are not thinking about their biggest use…. Lasers. That is the only time I think rulers would give a major advantage. They may have more uses, but I am not aware of them at this time.

DB, thats cool, I clearly wasn’t thinking very straight with my post. I have been watching the world cup for almost two decades and talked about it constantly while its on. So, brain freeze clearly.
    Your idea sounds ideal.

Vitos. Yes, thats it, you have me convinced that you dont cheat because you said so. Stupid me for thinking that a cheat might be a liar, especially one that bangs on about his ‘skills’ SOOO often. (your worse than laptop but he doesnt even believe his own hype as much as you).

I would have thougth that someone who blows his own trumpet so much would like to ‘prove’ at the highest level that it is all skill and practice that achives the kills, whether that meant borrowing a camcorder, using recording software or buying a web cam (they are SOOO cheap these days) would be within his ability, but hey, you said you dont cheat, so who are we to think otherwise.

Mcb Lover
    Participant

ok noobs…you nut….if you will see my video of my playing S3D you will see nothing usefull about my secret methods, course you have not enough brains and yours personally skill can wish better…but if you can proove that im cheater go on, speak it…if not— stfu mf forever…. im not intresting your opinion…and if i ll want to proove something i could do it…but only one person…its Gavin Camp. so get off from me and forget my name NOOBS.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.