This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Bobirov 11 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Bobirov
    Participant

It seems to me that ambient sounds only spawn from the first object in their sound group. This might be for looped sounds only, but I think it applies to all ambient sounds. Timed sounds should spawn randomly from any object in their sound group. Looped sounds should spawn from ALL objects in their group and play simultaneously. I would love it if all factories on my city maps sounded like they were producing something when you got close to it. Currently, only one of them does. 🙂

Or, perhaps instead of having all of the objects in a group playing the looped sound, maybe have a tag for sounds so that you could adjust the number of soundloops to play manually. Might be a better way to go than looping from all objects in the group. Either way I would be better than now, as long as more than one object in a sound group can loop a sound. 😉

Also, boid sounds do not seem to follow the boids around. Instead, they seem to come from a single spot on the map, perhaps their initial spawn point. They can only be heard loudly and clearly when the boid is near the sound’s spawn point. It would be nice if these sounds would follow their boids around. Looped sounds on boids would be nice as well for the helicopters and such. 🙂

Just a few observations/ideas I thought I would throw out there.

Deathstryker
    Participant

That would be cool. Especially for the jets. …If we could find a constant volume jet sound.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@bobirov wrote:

It seems to me that ambient sounds only spawn from the first object in their sound group. This might be for looped sounds only, but I think it applies to all ambient sounds. Timed sounds should spawn randomly from any object in their sound group. Looped sounds should spawn from ALL objects in their group and play simultaneously. I would love it if all factories on my city maps sounded like they were producing something when you got close to it. Currently, only one of them does. 🙂

I’ve not explained this before, sorry, it doesn’t quite work like this.
    The current sound group mechanism was really designed for trees and the like and works like this.

When objects of the same group (.e.g trees) are added to the landscape a sound map is built up. This map contains how close each point on the landscape is to the nearest object of this type. When playing sounds the sound position is fixed to just in front of the camera, and the volume is altered by how close you are to the nearest object in the group (taken from the map).

This works well for waves, trees etc… where you want a looped sound comming from a tight group but not from every tree. I guess it doesn’t work well for items that are spaced out.

Perhaps I should add another group mechanism that does what you suggest.

Also, boid sounds do not seem to follow the boids around. Instead, they seem to come from a single spot on the map, perhaps their initial spawn point. They can only be heard loudly and clearly when the boid is near the sound’s spawn point. It would be nice if these sounds would follow their boids around. Looped sounds on boids would be nice as well for the helicopters and such. 🙂

Good catch, the sounds were moving but I had the sound axis inverted. Try now.

Bobirov
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

Perhaps I should add another group mechanism that does what you suggest.

The main thing I would like to see is that the looped sounds come form each object in their sound group. It just seems odd to have the looped sounds not be coming from each object like it would in games where their are buildings and other things on the landscape. You should zoom up to it, and hear the activity. The current method does not work like this and doesn’t seem right for the landscape objects.

Leaving it the way it is for trees and waves and such would be fine by me. My main concern here is looped sounds that are bound to objects. That specific situation needs to be addressed differently. Have a listen at my factories on Apoc City. If you get a map that has more than 1 factory on it, you’ll see what I mean. You really should be able to hear the production noises from each one.

Also, if you do change the looped sound code to a method more like I am suggesting, I would suggest possibly starting each looped sound with a random time offset. That way if there are 4 objects looping the same sound, they are all looping from a slightly different point in time so it breaks up the monotony a bit and doesn’t sound completely canned. Just another thought I had. 😉

@gcamp wrote:

Good catch, the sounds were moving but I had the sound axis inverted. Try now.

Awesome, that has been whacky for as long as I can remember. Glad to see that one fixed. 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.