This topic contains 10 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Willis 10 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Deathstryker
    Participant

I think it’d be nifty if Scorched had Full Screen/Window toggling like a lot of other programs. Just an idea I threw out.

The way it could work is it can step down a resolution when you window it. So if you have 1024-full screen, you can toggle to 800-windowed.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

From what I remember this is an SDL issue, not being able to switch between full and windowed mode at runtime.

Deathstryker
    Participant

Thanks for crushing my dreams, Gav.

cbx550f
    Participant

I’m thinking that we should be able to do this…. I gave it a quick go, and I have it switching to fullscreen, but unfortunately the resolution is staying the same, so it’s really just removing everything else. lol

I’ll have another look later…

imported_gcamp
    Participant

I think the problem is that SDL destroys and recreats the OpenGL context when resizing windows (if I remember correctly). This destroys all textures etc.. that have been created and loaded into GL. We would have to then catch this resize event and re-load everything that had already been loaded.

Picci
    Participant

how about holding it at 1024 on full
    and when u shrink it to 800 it keeps the 1024 res but squeezes the image ?

ok, i know nothing about how to program resizing stuff,
    it was just an idea to say Picci is back ! (with his series of dumb ideas 😯 😆 )

😉

imported_gcamp
    Participant

🙂

Deathstryker
    Participant

😥

cbx550f
    Participant

I’ll take another look on the weekend – What you’re saying about the textures etc I think may be the killer, Gav… I’m thinking that other SDL apps that allow switching to-from fullscreen only do so at a menu, and not at runtime in-game. I’ll let you know if I have any success.

Thrax
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

I’ll take another look on the weekend – What you’re
    saying about the textures etc I think may be the killer, Gav… I’m thinking
    that other SDL apps that allow switching to-from fullscreen only do so at a
    menu, and not at runtime in-game. I’ll let you know if I have any success.

larger games like the Quakes, Half-Life’s, and others, do allow full-screen
    toggle in-game. they all completely drop the visuals and go thru a
    reloading routine before displaying again; it’s possible, but does take a
    long time to show again.
    As Scorched isn’t a live-action shooter, the time it takes will be a little
    less critical as long as they aren’t in a buying or aiming cycle.

i wouldn’t want to do it more than a few time’s per round. definately not
    a good idea for those that like to flip like pages of a book..

cbx550f
    Participant

The problem is no the basic ability to do it, but whether or not SDL, the library that handles the graphics, can do it nicely. To allow for cross-platform compatibility SDL is used; without it, making the graphics run on multiple platforms would be much more difficult.

If it cannot currently be done within SDL, I’ll take a look into whether or not they are looking into it as a feature.

Willis
    Participant

Well, can you force a reload of the map and structures on command?

I don’t know about changing the windowed size or the full screen resolution values.. but to merely switch between the two should work fine.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.