This topic contains 54 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Tom.K 5 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

BOY
    Participant

I’ve written a little aiming guide, mostly for new players who might not know what the old sight position is. The optional sight position has been around since v38.1

As of Aug 15, 2008 the poll has started over – you may change your choice any time you wish. Please continue to post helpful suggestions. Thanks.

the original discussion about the POV is found here
    http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1467&highlight=pov

4-6-2006

BOY’s aiming guide.

CONTENTS:
    1. SETUP RECOMMENDATIONS
    2. AIMING 101: 5 ESSENTIAL TIPS
    3. “IMPOSSIBLE” SHOTS
    4. HOW TO SNIPE LIKE THE PROS’
    5. HIGH ANGLE SHOTS
    6. SHOOTING THROUGH WALLS
    7. “METHOD AIMING” TECHNIQUES (coming soon)

SETUP RECOMMENDATIONS

I recommend using a mouse with a scroll wheel button, this will make zooming easier, and helps with estimating distances.

Sometimes the scenery can get in the way when sniping. By turning off trees in the game options you can prevent obstructions to your line of sight (LOS). This will also turn off any buildings and will take a bit away from the 3D experience.

Once you get started, it is good to turn off “restricted” camera movement by pressing the right Alt key. This will allow you to see under terrain and under water, if it is turned on.

Next, press ‘i’ and turn on all the options, including “use old sight position”. This will help in making low angle shots and shots from behind very steep terrain -be sure to select a tank model that is not tall and has a noticeable difference between the “old sight position” and the new one. If you are already used to shooting with the standard “new” sight position, this can throw off your sniping at first, it shouldn’t affect your regular shots.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
    Using the “old sight position” simply displays the pink POV (aiming) indicator in a lower position, but this does NOT change the launching point of your shot. The old sight should simply line up with the end of your tank turret, instead of a standard point over the tank. The launching point is the same for all tanks so it is slightly above the smaller tanks. ALWAYS Use a small tank (makes you harder to hit!!) and gives you the same indicator position each time you play. To see the true shot start point, go back to the new sight position. Remember that neither indicator actually changes the point where the shot begins.

when steep terrain is very close to the tank, the old sight can help prevent suicides with rollers (aka ‘CBX’) by helping to be sure that the launch trajectory clears the nearby terrain.

AIMING 101: 5 ESSENTIAL TIPS

1. using the cursor and the ‘A’ key, you can instantly aim in any direction. (a yellow bar appears on the terrain)

2. the lower the shot angle, the less the wind will affect the shot.

3. 45 degree angle will shoot farthest for a given power with no wind.

4. Adjusting aim direction:
    If you miss in wind, measure the angle from you that is between the impact point and the target. Do this by pressing or holding ‘A’ and dragging with cursor between the target and the last impact location. Then use the zero angle point recorded from the previous shot to adjust your aim by the angle you measured. (if you make a large angle change, you will need to account for the change of wind direction with respect to your new aim direction.)

5. Adjusting distance:
    It is easiest to change the shot distance by adjusting power. The change in distance due to shot elevation depends on the previous elevation angle. A change of 1 degree will make the least change at medium elevation angles (55°-35°). 1 degree change will have the most effect on distance at higher angles. It is best not to change your initial elevation unless you need to correct for a hill or for the cave roof or are having difficulty in strong winds.

6. Planning:
    It is vitally important to plan out the first shot you want to attempt. If you can, plan more than one. Before the round begins, take a look at the entire map and check the wind and make sure you have a chance to buy the weapon you need for the kill. By effectively taking out the easiest target, or the highest threat target to you, you will be much more successful.

“IMPOSSIBLE” SHOTS
    -Making “impossible” shots with high wind blowing toward a target behind a steep hill.

Elevate to a very high angle (70°-85°) or even away from the target. This will allow the shot to fall at the steepest angle over the hill without going too far. If the angle of fall is not steeper than the hill, then you cannot hit the target.
    *NOTE – sometimes rollers and napalm are the best way to get the target.

Now, make a drastic rotation angle correction (for very high elevation angles the shot will be effected by wind direction much more than usual) The wind does the work. Shoot the shot high enough (power) for the wind to push the projectile to the target.

AIMING LASERS – many people have a hard time aiming lasers due to terrain blocking view. To have perfect aim with lasers, use the console command “drawlandscape=off” to make the landscape invisible. Make sure to aim at the base of the tank (using the default or ‘new’ sight position) and presto. Remember that lasers do more damage with lower power and range.

HOW TO SNIPE LIKE THE PROS’
    – Line-of-site (LOS / view #4), with low angle using the OLD SIGHT POSITION.

There will be many opportunities to shoot line-of-sight targets, and a straight (sniper) shot is often more successful. You can defeat mag shields and beat your opponent to the kill.

Using the “OLD SIGHT POSTION” makes it a little easier to account for elevation drop of the missile when sniping because it appears to aim a bit lower and helps you account for the immediate drop of the projectile. Also, it does not obscure the target on close range shots.

Using the “Old sight”, here’s how to aim when the target is near the same elevation as you.

close range targets:
    aim a little underneath. The shorter your tank is, the farther underneath you should aim.
    (For an extremely close range shot, you’ll may need to reduce power.)

Medium range targets:
    aim approximately level, or directly at the target

Long range targets:
    aim a little above the target, the shot will arc slightly

Very long range targets:
    more difficult, elevation should be raised a bit

SNIPER NOTES:
    1. USE FULL POWER WHENEVER POSSIBLE

2. If the target is not level to you: Lower power for close shots, and raise elevation for long shots.

3. If you do not have a direct line of sight to the target because of a low hill, raise the angle enough to shoot over the hill and then reduce the power a little. By using the lowest angle possible you’re power adjustment can be smaller.

HIGH ANGLE SHOOTING

These are a bit harder than low angle shots. The main thing to remember is that you’ll need to increase power much more to get the same distance. If a strong wind is against you, make sure to lower the angle enough to push against the wind. If a strong wind is with you can reach the target with less power, the higher you shoot the longer the wind will accelerate the projectile.

Some veteran players have developed methods for very high accuracy shooting using high angle, especially with no winds. Some describe these methods as aiming aids and other compare it to cheating. I do not recommend aiming aids because the regular way is how the game is really meant to be played. Discuss aiming aids here.

SHOOTING THROUGH WALLS

It is not uncommon to have a hard shot across the map that is much easier to hit by going through the wrap-around wall. This can only be done whenever there are yellow buoys on the edge of the map designating wrap-around walls. It takes practice, especially with wind, but the basic idea is simple. The small YELLOW buoys on opposite sides of the map are the same ones, but they can be seen on both edges.

Zoom out very far, or all the way, and locate a set of buoys that are directly across from each other on opposite sides of the map. It is usually a good idea to look at two pairs of buoys to get a better idea of what spot on the wall to aim at. Make sure that the target is somewhere between the two buoys. Next, take aim at the target through the wall by imagining that it is on the other side on an identical map side to side with yours.

NOTES:
    1. you cannot shoot through Concrete walls (grey buoys) or Bouncy walls (blue buoys) or “no walls” (no buoys). The bouncy walls are useful for shooting around hills sometimes, especially in nasty winds. Using both wrap and bounce wall types effectively can be difficult trial and require practice.
    2. The circular overview map at the upper right does not show the square boundary walls.
    What are you waiting for?

GO GET SOME TARGET PRACTICE!!

apache64d
    Participant

I use only the a key and mouse. Sometimes on direct shots I use the side anlge (with mouse too).
    I don’t use any special keys or views. What ever view I get, I use.

BOY
    Participant

@apache64d wrote:

I use only the a key and mouse. Sometimes on direct shots I use the side anlge (with mouse too).
    I don’t use any special keys or views. What ever view I get, I use.

I’ll count that as a “NO”

DireWolf
    Participant

I use the old, I have to agree with Gavin, that it is set right, it may not be perfectly even with the pink doohicky, but it is exactly in line with it, the new one to me just aint right, even though when it was first released I went with the new one, BIG MISTAKE!
    Old school seems best!

Ebonite
    Participant

whatever the default is. I never understood the brouhaha

Bobirov
    Participant

I most definately DO NOT use the old sight position. Its placement varies from tank to tank based on height whereas the new sight position is the same for every tank, regardless of the model’s size. I like being able to see the EXACT line that the projectile is going to follow. The old sight just seems silly to me and you wind up having to use the same tank all the time just to get used to how to aim with it. Why some of you guys like it so much I’ll never understand. But hey, if it works for you, go for it.. 😉

hobbesme
    Participant

How do we know which sight position we’re using?

I assume I’m using the default sight position.

Regardless of the default, I believe I use the updated sight position which represents actual line-of-sight — especially considering Gavin’s examples of the previous & updated sight position displays.

DireWolf
    Participant

@hobbesme wrote:

How do we know which sight position we’re using?

I assume I’m using the default sight position.

Regardless of the default, I believe I use the updated sight position which represents actual line-of-sight — especially considering Gavin’s examples of the previous & updated sight position displays.

Ok I might have gotten things Backwards, I didnt look back at old post I was going from memory, or lack there of, considering this was over a year ago and was ripped most of that year.
    but for me……..
    the old line of site works better, with the wolfzoid model, it seems totally accurate, when I use the new one, I shoot too low, and it looks totally wrong to ME.

if you are unsure of which site you are using hit f12.

Spectrum
    Participant

i’m with BOB on this 1, i like seeing where my shot is going to fly at 💡

Willis
    Participant

I use the old sight.

I can visualize the shot path off the old sight, and I hate trying to guess the near-mountain-edge shots to determain if i will cbx or not. The old sight is a safe-guard and for me more accurate.

Go Sonic Tank! 🙄

BOY
    Participant

well, i use the old one, as you may have guessed. I was curious because In my little guide I recommend using it. I’m sure that the new sight is used by most new players, but I wasn’t sure about the old timers. I find it quite useful, and I like to think I’m better than the avg sniper.

comedown
    Participant

I only tried the new sight once, during the period before the old one became an option again, and I didn’t like it at all. As the others have said, it always seemed to cause “undershots”.

I’ll stick with the old sight.

Bobirov
    Participant

The reason the new sight causes undershots is simple. It is because the sight is lined up exactly where the projectile will travel. Hence the projectile starts to drop below the line of sight as soon as it leaves the barrel. This means you always have to aim above the target, even if its just a little bit for really short shots. The old sight is generally lined up below the projectile’s actual shot path. So if you aim straight at someone with the sight, you are actually aiming above the target slightly.

Yet again, I don’t see why this would be desirable. If you decided to change tanks, you’d have to slightly adjust your sniping shots due to the sights different positioning. I prefer to learn one method of aiming and not worry about it should I decide to use a different tank (I tend to use the green guys, Yoda and Ignignokt). I suppose I am one of the few old timers that actually likes the new sight. I was able to adapt to it right away as it made perfect sense to me. 😉

And yes, the default for the game is the newer sight style. So if you’ve never hit the “i” button and switched to the old sight, you are using the new sight and never knew it. 😉

BOY
    Participant

@bobirov wrote:

Yet again, I don’t see why this would be desirable.

because, as you say, no matter how far away the target, you must make a correction for elevation. with the old sight, you only need to make an adjustment for long range targets, the sights line up nicely for most ranges right on the target. In addition, for close targets, you can view the entire target as you actually correct a bit by aiming under the target slightly.

also, as willis said, you can prevent suicides sometimes.

BOY
    Participant

I’ve posted the guide at the top. Thanks to some helpful input from a few friends, the damn thing wound up quite long. 😯

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.