This topic contains 72 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  mooic 11 years ago.

• Author

BOY
    Participant

I really dont see the need to change the servers right now at all. They are great. Even the name is really not bothering my much. Perhaps I am getting complacent at my old age of 27.

In any event, we need to come up with some decent names for admins, that is the key to seeing if an admin can be added or not.

the servers are not really up for debate right now.

Spectrum
    Participant

If the bots are to stay around why not have them leave the game sooner?
    in stead of 1 leaveing after X#(i have no idea what the current limet is) People join, why not have all bots GONE by lets say 4 people join???!?

apache64d
    Participant

or..instead of 4 bots put only 2…

BOY
    Participant

the previous two posts are proof positive nobody pays attention to what I’m saying. I could simply split the topic, buy hey, who freeking cares anymore.

perhaps these names might be good folks to add.

Naka
    Viking62
    BigBear

That will be the last of my ideas on this subject.

apache64d
    Participant

BOY, if I didn’t reply to your post doesn’t mean I didn’t pay attention to it.
    Naka? yes ill support him too.
    Viking? depense how many USA admin will be needed but I know him too and he has my support. So is DireWolf>>Who is waiting longer…

Amy1 else who think they can be a good game admin please write us (one of the admins) a pm..or reply here. We will read every reply. Still, no promises to anything.

BOY
    Participant

I never read the quoted post completely, due to vacation.

@Big Bear wrote:

@gcamp wrote:

What type of structure would you like to see implemented?

How would you suggest we choose reliable/mature admins?

I like the flat structure as such. I for one would certainly not want a hierarcial structure for the admin group. What I do believe is that the flat stucture requires that the admins act as a group and that everyone pull their weight so to speak. Now, I don’t mean a super beurocracy where every little detail needs to be discussed and decided by the collective.

* The admin group should be split between game/forum admins. No restriction should be imposed on acting as both, but I don’t think you should be by default.

a brief report

The flat structure gavin has set up has currently lead to exactly what Big Bear meantioned – a super buauracracy (in which not everyone participates) where ideas are debated collectively down to the smallest detail.

I have presented the idea that the admins be shuffled around and a list of the active admins be created. So far, that idea has not taken hold due to admins feeling I wanted them to “lose their powers”, which was essentially innacurate.

My influence on the admin situation seems to be a negative one within the group. I do hope to be of some use to the rest of the community in what way I can. A lone admin.

BigBear
    Participant

@boy wrote:

a brief report

The flat structure gavin has set up has currently lead to exactly what Big Bear meantioned – a super buauracracy (in which not everyone participates) where ideas are debated collectively down to the smallest detail.

I have presented the idea that the admins be shuffled around and a list of the active admins be created. So far, that idea has not taken hold due to admins feeling I wanted them to “lose their powers”, which was essentially innacurate.

My influence on the admin situation seems to be a negative one within the group. I do hope to be of some use to the rest of the community in what way I can. A lone admin.

This is exactly what I meant by:
    @bigbear wrote:

I certainly realize that all the efforts made by admins are made in your free time and I’m not expecting this place to be running like a well oiled coorporate machinery. It’s just that I can’t see any structure or synchronization at all. I may or may not be very wrong but the admin community seem very fragmented and driven by individual impulses and interests (just like the player community in fact) to me.

As far as I can tell there is no voting, no policy or procedure on how to make decisions. All that is left then is a matter of who can convince the people that decide to not ignore the issue. If noone can convince everyone that cares to oppose, nothing happens.

When it comes to admins being afraid of loosing their power I only have my suspicions and Boy’s word to go on so far. If it is actually true then something need to happen. Being an admin is not about power, it’s about taking on the responsibility to be of service to the community. Otherwise I’d say that person becomes a liability rather than an asset.

BOY
    Participant

daily reflection:

As I sit back now and begin to watch things as they unfold (or perhpas just stagnate) I am a bit miffed at all the reluctance for people to come together. Namely, the admins not joining together to address the concerns of the community (or in this case a portion of it). I’m beginning to wonder what Gavin put in this game, is it some sort of drug? It’s like the Star Trek episode where nobody can sleep and they all hate each other. 😆

I never thought the problem really is that the servers need more police or they are out of control, I simply see a disconnect between the admins and the community. three or four extra admins to fill the shoes of those that dont play would be enough. In the past, most admins all seemed to play quite a bit more. You know, I begin to wonder if the problem would disapear if all the admins simply lost their jobs and there were no admins at all. Ok, maybe keep wowbagger, but still, what does that tell you??

I’d like to see the admins paying attention to what the community wants (besides feature requests). Someting I feel has not been done on this subject. And I think the solution is so simple.

If the online gamers aren’t the heart of the community then we should just turn the whole forums into a private club right now. Take the dummies guide and the stratagy guide – hell, this whole section – and just let the servers run. Remove that complaints section too, eventually none of the admins will be paying attention, although for now, some do. They might still pay attention, but only if you go and look for them in the chat room and drag them out.

Ok, maybe that last bit was more like a rant, seriously though, think about it.

JiNx
    Participant

is gobsmacked that will ring a few bells and i totaly agree

NoMoreSteve
    Participant

@boy wrote:

a brief report

The flat structure Gavin has set up has currently lead to exactly what Big Bear mentioned – a super bureaucracy (in which not everyone participates) where ideas are debated collectively down to the smallest detail.

I have presented the idea that the admins be shuffled around and a list of the active admins be created. So far, that idea has not taken hold due to admins feeling I wanted them to “lose their powers”, which was essentially inaccurate.

My question may be a little off target, but why should admins be so concerned about “losing their powers”? Has having the Admin tag added to their name become more of an ego trip than forgetting what the true purpose of admins were supposed to uphold?

I’ve been doing desktop support for a few years now. Although I have “special powers”, I still have to remember that all I really am, is a servant to the users. I’m supposed to actually help them. I’m supposed to do whatever I can (within reason) to make their jobs sager and easier. If all I did was take some of our users concerns and bat them around like a simple cat-toy (like how several posts and topics have ended in these forums), then my butt would be on the curb.

Being an admin is something that should be taken seriously, but not arrogantly. Too many times I see the phrase, “we the admins”. Which usually means that the topic is going to die on the vine for now while the rest of us sit and hope something is either done or explained.

Funny, most people probably think of me as someone who is always a joker and never posts anything serious. Well, when this topic popped up, i have to say I was intrigued. But seeing how the topic is going stale and there is only 1 admin that is actually trying to see something through kinda pushed me over to the edge of seriousness. I for one, don’t like it on this side. 😉

Come on, admins. I know no one gets paid for any of this, but lets see some action from the rest of ya.

We now bring you back to our regular scheduled cowbell…

cbx550f
    Participant

@nms wrote:

Come on, admins. I know no one gets paid for any of this, but lets see some action from the rest of ya.

Well, I’m awfully tired and feel like crap, so I’ll keep this brief. (Listens to the applause)

WRT the “admins being afraid of losing their priviledges – I still don’t know how this line of thiniking started (I saw it happen, but still don’t get it ;))

For what it’s worth, mine could be taken, and I would not complain a bit. It’s not like I use them – I find I never need to. As far as I recall, I have only ever kicked a couple people, and never banned anyone on the official servers. Sure, I’ve seen my share of people doing things that are considered “wrong”, but in virtually every instance, a comment like “Hey Steve, mind the language a bit pls. :)” works shockingly well. (Especicially when said politely on a second “infraction”, for some reason. I don’t think I’ve so much as muted someone in the past year, nor threatened to.

I apologize for not replying as much lately as I normally would, but my “other life” has been keeping me quite busy lately, and I don’t even have enough time to even read all of the threads.

I have presented the idea that the admins be shuffled around and a list of the active admins be created. So far, that idea has not taken hold due to admins feeling I wanted them to “lose their powers”, which was essentially inaccurate.

It may be that some just don’t agree. 😉

I’ll try to reply more concisely soon, when I’m not feeling like someone hit me with a dump truck. 😉

cbx

Brain Damage
    Participant

i stayed out of this discussion for few reasons; mostly the reasons were:

– i already pointed my toughts that we don’t need beginner’s only admins, i don’t like repeating myself and i think it is useless, whatever very often i have the feeling that my posts are ignored (i don’t accept the lengh of the thread as excuse for not reading them, because i do read other post before adding something myself)

– i don’t like to post something like just “yes i do agree/no i don’t agree”, BigBear & boy posted many toughts that i share, and they pretty much covered them with good arguments; i did not feel like adding something to one-side discussion just to repeat something already well said.

– i actually wanted to see what kind of replies this thread would have, so far i only seen one-sided arguments

i’ll assume 2 things now: the arguments are not interesting anybody (but at least i belived that admins would be interestied) or either everyone doesn’t disagree with them finding them enought well said and nothing needs to be added; now from the poll results i see that there are people who has an opinion different from the actual line of posting; i would like to hear comments from those people (not necessary admins).

off course correct me too if i am wrong my 2 assumptions, why nobody is posting here?

lol cbx you just posted while i was writing mine

cbx550f
    Participant

@BD wrote:

lol cbx you just posted while i was writing mine

Beat you. 😛

To add to your “two assumptions/reasons”, I add my third:

3. I don’t get much time for this, sometimes for days, and when I do, I might sneak a minute or two in on another PC. After doing this, I come home and everything shows as “read”…. I miss a TON of posts this way.

apache64d
    Participant

All I have left to say is that BOY is not the only admin who is trying to “wake-up” some admins…
    I’m tierd already of this topic (we have also a discussion on the private admin forums). My opinion been said, actualy, bye BOY, BD and BB. What more I wanted to say, I said earlier.

The poll results speaks for it self. GAME admins are needed. For all the official servers.

BOY
    Participant

hmmm, on the subject that admins are not needed, I would have to say…. Sure, they are not absolutely NEEDED, like I need water.

But, it is nice to have them around, right? Apoc actually gets along fine without admins there frequently. However, at apoc, people dont often make silly rules that then others break, you just blast everything.

Here seems to be the main problem.

76% of voters want more admins at beginners

admins simply shake thier heads and say “why?” or “No, you dont need them”

resolving the ‘want’ and ‘need’ seems to be a major problem.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.