This topic contains 72 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  mooic 10 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Chopper
    Participant

I have a couple of thoughts.

I started playing back before there was a begginers server……you learned fast by getting killed. It was frustrating sometimes but I learned. Other more experienced players helped alot and sometimes cut some slack.

I suspect the reason for the begginers server was meant with good intentions..but I think its backfired. Above posters are right…you tend to play and stay with you know and learn with. Besides why do they want to move to main and get blasted? Better to be a big fish in the little pond. The begginers server has become another main to them If you notice the players tend to stay there.

A few solutions come to mind…..1.) eliminate it and go back to a main open to all. 2.) Force them out of begginers after x amount of kills. 3.) As far as admins there………let them admin themselves…..begginer admins so to speak.

Anyway….I often see main empty and 6 or 8 on begginers….I used to go there and play with baby missles just to get a game and teach the noobs…some of the higher ranks had gotten good and belonged on main…but they were staying and blasting the noobs on noob server…but I quit after comments about why experinced players were going there.

Which brings me back full circle……we all learned at one time or another on main while we were green noobs. I know begginers was supposed to encourage and grow the game. Has it done that?

I’m done…sorry for long post.

BOY
    Participant

I think the bottom line is, yes, it actually has grown the game. There’s a whole new server, just as busy as the main ever was, or more. The learning curve actually bad before the beginners server, I learned offline and on main as well, but it wasn’t entirely easy either.

besides that, (dont mean to step on your toes, Chop) this is a bit off subject for this poll.

The current setup seems fine. Eliminating it isn’t a very good option. We’ve seen alot of oposition to that. Forcing players out isn’t much different than elimitating it. Both are ideas I’ve supported in the past though. 😛

apache64d
    Participant

The setup of both beginners and main server is the same now right? then why not delete the “beginners” name and change it to Scorched3d (bots, stats and Scorched3d (no bots, stats). I mean now new players are coming to both servers…(I saw it) so the name “beginners” can be cut out anyway.

Spectrum
    Participant

@apache64d wrote:

The setup of both beginners and main server is the same now right? then why not delete the “beginners” name and change it to Scorched3d (bots, stats and Scorched3d (no bots, stats). I mean now new players are coming to both servers…(I saw it) so the name “beginners” can be cut out anyway.

I couldn’t agree with you more Apache!

Ebonite
    Participant

Makes sense, but we’re still at the point of determining whether more admins are needed. Would more admins play if the name was changed?

apache64d
    Participant

I think yes, ebo. The joining could be more random..ofcours if lets say Wow will see NMScowbell in one of the servers he will join it and not to the other one where is “Rafael” there..but it can make is more mixed with both new players and pros(+admins) players together.
    Also, yes, admins shouldbe more (and I mean all of us that have time) on the beginners because this is part of our “job”. We r game admins of the official servers. We don’t need to be there all day..just ones and a while to check what’s new to maybe help and if, unfortunatly some trubles happes to hundle it. Ofcours, also, to play.

cbx550f
    Participant

@chopper wrote:

I have a couple of thoughts.

I started playing back before there was a begginers server……you learned fast by getting killed. It was frustrating sometimes but I learned. Other more experienced players helped alot and sometimes cut some slack.

Ditto, and I loved it too. 🙂
    Really – I had a TON of fun, and amazement, at the guys with whom I first played against.
    I do believe my first game was against Tumboner, Lou, Gooseberry, and Dog (harrr there, maytees!), and it was friggin’ BRUTAL. lol
    Did I wonder if Goose was cheating? Hell yeah – he was THAT good! But by jeez, it was fun, and here I am today. 🙂

@Ye Olde Chopster wrote:

I suspect the reason for the begginers server was meant with good intentions..but I think its backfired. Above posters are right…you tend to play and stay with you know and learn with. Besides why do they want to move to main and get blasted? Better to be a big fish in the little pond. The begginers server has become another main to them If you notice the players tend to stay there.

It really was a great idea, but I think I agree with you here. We’re a small community – it’s not like the new guys have the beginner’s server and 1000 other servers that they REALLY want to play on.

Remember, all: This is NOT World of Warfare, nor is it UT, nor is it (name your popular RPG here) – this is Scorched, and welcome to it. 🙂
    We’re a small community, growing bigger, but still not big like some of the games you are accustomed to

@Yet again, Ye Olde Chopster wrote:

A few solutions come to mind…..1.) eliminate it and go back to a main open to all. 2.) Force them out of begginers after x amount of kills. 3.) As far as admins there………let them admin themselves…..begginer admins so to speak.

Other than “Status Quo”, those are, IMO, the only options. Out of these options I would pick #1, or, if not, #3. (Sorry, I just don’t like making too many rules, so #2 is out for me ;))

@boy wrote:

think the bottom line is, yes, it actually has grown the game. There’s a whole new server, just as busy as the main ever was, or more.

Bullshit. 😛
    A few years ago I NEVER saw an empty server. (Well, I am exagerrating a bit, to make the point, but it was RARE). It seems to me that I see BOTH servers (Main and Beg.) empty more today than I saw the ONLY one empty a few years ago (well, with the exception of when we were all at the team server… the only reason we all don’t do that more is stats, but that’s another discussion ;))
    (btw: Have I eluded enough to the fact that I think there should only be one server? ;))

The Beginner’s server has worked, and it has not
    Anyway….I often see main empty and 6 or 8 on begginers….I used to go there and play with baby missles just to get a game and teach the noobs…some of the higher ranks had gotten good and belonged on main…but they were staying and blasting the noobs on noob server…but I quit after comments about why experinced players were going there.

Yeah. Hmmmm. and Yeah. And, therefore, hmmm.

Which brings me back full circle……we all learned at one time or another on main while we were green noobs. I know begginers was supposed to encourage and grow the game. Has it done that?

Well, I think it has, for some, but for some, it has not. (he says, ambiguously)
    As you said, it was a great idea, and it sometimes works – allowing new guys to play against other new guys, but it also has its obvious problems.

@Ebo² wrote:

Makes sense, but we’re still at the point of determining whether more admins are needed. Would more admins play if the name was changed?

Two part question, that is. (You’re pretty tricky for a pantsless fellow)

1. “whether more admins are needed.”
    I still have yet to hear why any more are needed.

2. “Would more admins play if the name was changed?”
    Well, if we got rid of the “Beginner’s” server, possibly. I was going to type out another couple options, which you could likely postulate anyway, but: Given that it’s a small community, and THE BEGINNER’S SERVER ISN’T OFTEN ACTUALLY FULL, is there really any need for two servers?

I’m done…sorry for long post.

Heh – np 😉

Wowbagger
    Participant

A long time ago before the beginner server there were times when the main server filled up and you couldnt get near it, as I recall this happened more often then not.

My idea back then was to create a second main server so when it filled up the other players who wanted to play would spill over into it. The stats would reflect both servers so there wasn’t two sets of sets for everyone to bicker over. 🙂

As for a place for noobs to learn…. Practice in the single player mode like I did for weeks before I even attempted to play online. And now even more so with the addition of the tutorial mode. And when they get to the main theres always players and admins willing to give some helpfull advice and pointers.

As for more admins, theres always room for a couple more. I know theres alot of Vets and Noobs out there who would love to do it. And if not it’s nice to see the “Player And Server Complaints Forum”. Anyone who has problems with any players should immediately post in there so the Admins can resolve these issues.

Its also very helpful for all players to turn on there client logging so they can copy and paste the incidents in the forum. This should be more publicized because most players dont even know they have this ability. For those players who dont know about it just Check client logging in the game settings under misc. options and it will create a log file in the .scorched folder with seperate chat logs from ever connection to the server.

Willis
    Participant

Its also very helpful for all players to turn on there client logging so they can copy and paste the incidents in the forum.

This should either be on by default.. or upon installation have a screen or alert that asks if you want this on 8) .. its like a unwritten rule.

Just a random peice of $0.02 while I gather my thoughts about the past few posts… I never seen admins as a “big brother” type of team.. that need to hover over everything and slap people’s wrists if they ever say a naughty word.

I’ve always seen them as last-resort meausres, when you SEE the problem, or get reported the problem, and it NEEDS to be delt with. Hell I and a few others pushed for admins just for that reason: http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1398

*Wow… funny how you learned that Logging trick :P*

BigBear
    Participant

A few reasons why we should have more GAME admins:

1. The current admin group setup means that we have more like 9 (or even less most of the time because of the fact that admins have lives as well) game admins rather than 12. Out of those 9, 5 have played 2 hours or more per week in this version so far (this is on main mind you).

2. Time zone representation is NOT balanced. We need more admins in the EU time zones (I have yet to find a comment from a EU admin that disagrees with this).

3. Since game admins are appointed for an indefinite time period, the only way to get “fresh blood” is to add more.

4. There ARE more players now. Consider that for example that ‘beginners’ has had around 80 players that spent 2 hours or more every week over 6 months in ver 39.1 series 2. So far the amount is about the same in version 40 (and that is only on ‘beginners’).

The list could go on for a while but really, how many reasons are needed?

I have a comment about the whole should-we-have-2-servers issue as well. Interestingly so far the people advocating removing the second server seem to be people that joined a long time ago and never really spent much time there anyway. As a player who ‘grew up’ on ‘beginners’ and still go there when I see ppl I know or traffic is slow I think that line of thinking is slightly inconsiderate and single minded. Different ‘generations of players’ have different experiences. Just as the game itself the community keeps evolving and I feel there should be room for both old (compare to culture) and new (compare to invention).

Chopper
    Participant

Revisited this and I agree with the Bagman….

Change beginners to main2 ands lets keep playin…..its become a main to them. Could you not blend the ranks?

Oh….and remind me to kill cBx for calling me old…rofl 😆

Spectrum
    Participant

I like the idea of changing to Noob server to a secondary main (with the stats being the same between the two of course), if it’s possible why not do it; with the ‘more admins’ topic i say only add more if Gcamp & the current admins think their should be more. I also agree that there should be more admins in the Eroupe time zones, the US zones seem fairly covered, excpet maybe the west coast/ Pacific zones. Anyways this is only my opion, so whatever

BOY
    Participant

I dont really care much, but It might be neat to see all the stats combined.

On the other hand, a bot server is quite different, the kills there in my view dont count the same. FFA is typically a tougher server and kills are harder earned. just my 2 cents

Ebonite
    Participant

If stats are to be combined, the bots definitely have to go. but if the bots go, will there really be a need for two servers? The most common reason for joining the current “beginners” server is that there is no one on main, and a game with bots is better than no game at all. Soon enough people join up, compared to waiting for hours on main by oneself for anybody to join.

If the stats are going to be combined, the bots have to go and all stats be reset.

BigBear
    Participant

Traffic on the main server will fluctuate with two servers. That is a fact. What I don’t see is why that is a problem. Get 2-3 players on main after office hours and more WILL come. The last 2 nights for example main was full for the first time in a while (that I’ve seen) on EU time.

Personally I prefer separate stats for separate servers. And as Ebo said if the stats were to be blended the bots would have to go. That would change that server fundamentaly which I’m not so sure is a good thing.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.