This topic contains 32 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  BigBear 9 years, 1 month ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #53958

    Rommel
    Participant

    Hi Big Bear:

    You are correct that TheOne was not the person being discussed in the thread about the malicious code, it was XOX. That was a good catch on your part, thanks for keeping me factual. All I can offer as a possible reason for my mistake is that I may have had the mistaken idea that they were the same person. Being unable to find an instance where I used the word author in relation to TheOne and the modified .exe file leads me to believe that you may have me confused with someone else on that issue.

    A website that has the moto Cheat for Fun, Cheat for Life! isn’t likely to be very receptive to a request to remove a cheat made for an open source game. Surely all reasonable people can agree that this is a given by the very nature of the website.

    To the best of my knowlegde and belief, the code in question does not fit the description of malicious code. To represent it as malicious code is to imply that you are giving the host fair warning that their continued distribution may be considered a criminal offense.

    Letters like this could be easily argued as attempts to force the websites to remove a simple cheat file from their websites under threat of incurring expenses to defend themselves from charges should they refuse to comply. This is not a good thing to do on your own, and certainly not as a rouge (everyone is a maverick these days) representative of an organization.

    This might be a good time to exhale and ensure that your face is still working by trying to smile.

    Having no other complaints, suggestions or explainations concerning this thread, I feel this may be a good time to request that brother bazzz give the benediction and close this topic.

    Brother bazzz? Brother bazzz, are you here? I thought we brought brother bazzz? Brother bazzz!!! Ok, I guess he’s not here. Ok, you’re all brother bazzz. Give yourself a round of applause, you deserve it. – This section was stolen from a recent speech by John McCain however I must confess that I changed the name of Joe the Plumber to brother bazzz purely for a cheap laugh. No harm was intended to either party.

    Best wishes,

    Rommel

    bazzz … bazzz … bazzz … He was here with Sarah just a few minutes ago. He must be around here somewhere. bazzz …

    #53959

    BigBear
    Participant

    Whatever your main point was you must realize that piecing together unrelated information into a claim without substance will be met with some sceptisism. You yourself keep mentioning the importance of acting correctly. Now all of a sudden that is of less importance since “that part wasn’t my critical point”? If you wanna take the moral highground you had better act the part mister.

    No such “official demands” have been sent by this site (i.e. Gavin) as far as I know. No admin/mod/developer can act as an official of this game outside of this site’s forum or its game servers, plain and simple.

    A smile sounds like a good idea. You can’t go wrong with that.

    Take it away bazz …

    #53960

    Thrax
    Participant

    This is just too funny..

    moral high-ground..
    intentional wrong-doing..

    Rommel, you are talking about a site dedicated to the Cheats for any game;Retail, or not.
    They have to go to extreme measures to remain low-profile, if they don’t want
    to be sued out of existance themselves by every gaming company on the planet..

    The fact that you insist on trying to defend thier side of the coin, simply
    pushes the rest of us into the thought of your involvement with this ‘.exe’

    The One was banned for valid reasons.
    The Author of the Hack was also banned.
    They are not the same person.

    If you want The One back, drop this thread and it’s intention before if causes
    too much suspicion. There’s more chance of a level-ground appeal for The
    One, if you aren’t suspect yourself.

    #53961

    bazzz
    Participant

    It would be nice if this was the last word, but i doubt it will be.

    #53962

    Laptops Daddy
    Participant

    Game cheats are part of gaming culture, and all this talk of legality seems a little silly. It is just a game, after all.

    I think private ‘admin only’ forums are a nice idea. I dont think they should be viewable by everyone. Admins need a chance to voice concerns without fear of pc backlash, and without risk of every faceless asshole jumping up and down slowing things down every time they feel like a rant. (‘Said in confidence’ – v important).

    Regarding cheating. Every developer/modder knows theres no way to prevent it forcefully. We’re open source, ffs. We should concentrate on emphasising a culture of fair play, and maintaining ‘wrath of the admin’ as a deterrent.

    Ps: I cant see anyone capable of writing an aim bot being held up by an ip address ban. Open proxy servers are free and everywhere. Bans are little more than a ‘how dare you’ statement, and thats just the way it should be in a free game thats open to everyone.

    #53963

    BigBear
    Participant

    Good post lappy!

    Sorry bazz, but at least you can say “I knew it!”. 😉

    #53964

    Thrax
    Participant

    @laptops Daddy wrote:

    Ps: I cant see anyone capable of writing an aim bot being held up by an ip
    address ban. Open proxy servers are free and everywhere. Bans are little
    more than a ‘how dare you’ statement, and thats just the way it should be in a
    free game thats open to everyone.

    Ip isn’t the only factor we use to track players, But yes.. with enough extra
    hardware, they could play a few times each before we blocked them again.

    After my aggrivation with Shotso, I’m rather pleased with the newer methods
    added for tracking. Simply changing ip and blanking thier id-key isn’t enough.

    #53965

    Rommel
    Participant

    Perhaps you will think this is funny too.

    @thrax wrote:

    This is just too funny..

    moral high-ground..
    intentional wrong-doing..

    Rommel, you are talking about a site dedicated to the Cheats for any game;Retail, or not.
    They have to go to extreme measures to remain low-profile, if they don’t want
    to be sued out of existance themselves by every gaming company on the planet..

    The fact that you insist on trying to defend thier side of the coin, simply
    pushes the rest of us into the thought of your involvement with this ‘.exe’

    The One was banned for valid reasons.
    The Author of the Hack was also banned.
    They are not the same person.

    If you want The One back, drop this thread and it’s intention before if causes
    too much suspicion. There’s more chance of a level-ground appeal for The
    One, if you aren’t suspect yourself.

    I could try to argue with the nonsense you spew but instead, I will simply present your own words. I would have preferred that my initial post had been sufficient, to get someone to look into my charge without further discussion. We certainly didn’t have to divulge this much detail but considering that everyone had access to this information, I don’t suppose any of the old material can be considered TOP SECRET.

    Your own words sir:

    *** Deleted by moderator BigBear ***

    Here are the parts I found objectionable:

    ” … malicious code that harmed the servers.”

    “… a banned player trying to bring down the game due to revence.”

    Then there was this post as well:

    *** Deleted by moderator BigBear ***

    I observed an ethics violation and lack of proper oversight.
    I requested that the admins look into my claim.
    I am challanged for pointing this out.
    I rose to the challange.

    As evidenced by my reply to your first post in this thread, I had no problem with allowing you to remain in the shadows. Please feel free to laugh at this time.

    *** Moderator’s note ***
    Just because the private forums were accessible by accident for a period of time does not mean that it’s open season to post that material in public. Consider this a warning! Any further posting of private material will have consequenses.

    #53966

    Laptops Daddy
    Participant

    @thrax wrote:

    I’m rather pleased with the newer methods
    added for tracking. Simply changing ip and blanking thier id-key isn’t enough.

    Lets be clear. We’re talking about ways to ban tech savvy hack developers. Denying access to a rogue pre-teen who happens to have a spare router or nic, does not amount to the same thing.

    I dont want to risk frustrating the effort, so I wont elaborate any further. I do think we need to choose our battles carefully. Maybe its better to ask for a little cooperation from those in question? Last thing we need is bad feeling.

    #53967

    BigBear
    Participant

    @ Romm

    Fact: You wrongly accused the admins of claiming that The One was spreading a hack.

    Fact: You took a personal remark that has nothing to do with our roles as admins/mods/devs and wrongly labelled it as an “official act”.

    Fact: You have made copies of private material that you came across because of a technical mistake, which you then proceeded to post in public.

    Now, despite the fact that I personally agree that the personal remark in question was in bad taste I am far more concerned with your way of handling this matter. You could have handled this in a number of ways, yet you chose to go public with unfounded accusations as your first step. To spice it up you just had to throw in some derogatory remarks to the whole staff. Finally you decided to repost private material you should not have had access to in the 1st place. Noone has forced any of this upon you. You have made the choice to take it one step further throughout this thread. Very disappointing …

    #53968

    bazzz
    Participant

    Its tough to know future events BB

    Maybe we all could stop attacking another and focus on what we want to achieve-oh yeah i see….

    Carry on like we always do,thats a realistic goal.

    Sorry for my cynicism.

    #53969

    Acid22
    Participant

    @bazzz wrote:

    Its tough to know future events BB

    Maybe we all could stop attacking another and focus on what we want to achieve-oh yeah i see….

    Carry on like we always do,thats a realistic goal.

    Sorry for my cynicism.

    =D> Well said that man.

    “Is this the right room for an argument?”

    “I’ve told you once already”

    “No you hav’nt”

    “I just did”

    “Did’nt”

    “Did”…………………………………………………………. 🙄

    #53970

    Rommel
    Participant

    This isn’t an argument!

    Yes it is.

    No, it isn’t.

    Yes it is.

    #53971

    Rommel
    Participant

    If you are going to accuse me of anything at all, please quote me.
    @bigbear wrote:

    @ Romm

    Fact: You wrongly accused the admins of claiming that The One was spreading a hack.

    Fact: You took a personal remark that has nothing to do with our roles as admins/mods/devs and wrongly labelled it as an “official act”.

    Fact: You have made copies of private material that you came across because of a technical mistake, which you then proceeded to post in public.

    Now, despite the fact that I personally agree that the personal remark in question was in bad taste I am far more concerned with your way of handling this matter. You could have handled this in a number of ways, yet you chose to go public with unfounded accusations as your first step. To spice it up you just had to throw in some derogatory remarks to the whole staff. Finally you decided to repost private material you should not have had access to in the 1st place. Noone has forced any of this upon you. You have made the choice to take it one step further throughout this thread. Very disappointing …

    The facts I recall them are all in this thread. Knowing how difficult it is for you to find material without someone leading you by the hand, please go back to my intitial post and read forward slowly. As you find supporting material for your “FACTS” please copy and paste them into your substantiating document.

    Thank you for your continued cooperation,

    Rommel

    P.S. You sure sound like Laptop’s Daddy to me.

    #53972

    BigBear
    Participant

    @ Romm
    Further elaboration will likely yield few results. Nothing has been gained by this, but mutual respect (if there was any left to begin with) has been lost. Nevertheless it has been entertaining of sorts and I am sure that you will provide more of the same in the future.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Access Denied’ is closed to new replies.