This topic contains 32 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  BigBear 8 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Rommel
    Participant

Dear Admins, Moderators and Developers:

First, many thanks to Mandy for trying to be the voice of reason in the middle of a hurricane.

Some of you, I am a bit dissapointed with, and a few, a little angry.

Please re-open the forums so that everyone can read the trash that has been posted by those that we may have once thought to be reasonable thinkers or at the very least considerate of the rights of others. It has been very enlightening.

To YOU (and you know who you are) : Sending that false statement to MPC that stated that TheOne was using their web site to circulate a hack of Scorched that contained malicious code, was not only unethical, it may have been illegal. Doing things like this as an offical of the game, make it a serious offense. The worst part for me wasn’t that you lied about the nature of the hack but that no one else called you on it when you bragged about doing it.

Since no one else has, I’m calling you on it.

Please stop this type of activity immediately and seek out a retainer with Mr. J. Noble Dagget, Esquire. It looks like you may soon have need for his services.

The best way to promote harmony is to outlaw secrecy. – Copyright 10-27-2008

Enlightenment is the key,

Rommel

P.S. – “If you can’t write it and sign it, don’t say it!”

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Re-open which forums?

Rommel
    Participant

I’m not sure of the forum names but the search feature is no longer pulling up several posts. Show all posts on an author’s name no longer shows ALL of their posts.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Yes this is correct, it doesn’t show private forums. Just like it doesn’t show PM’s or their email.

Rommel
    Participant

Hi Gavin:

I understand and accept the closure of the “wild west” forums. It was nice to have a brief glimpse into the internal workings and for that, thank you. It seems much like making sausage, I think. A grotesque process that eventually culminates in a very pleasing product.

It’s hard to recall exactly but I think that in regard to me, you said something like …

“I’ve talked to him and he doesn’t seem anymore eccentric than the rest of us.”

I most likely am, but thanks for the vote of confidence.

Were you featured in a news interview a few days ago? It seems there was an NFL exihibition game in Scottland over the weekend and I saw a large Scottsman in a kilt being interviewed. He was identified as Big Gav which caused me to think of you. If so, nice legs.

Best wishes,

Rommel

Deathbal
    Participant

Rommel: Your request has been taken into consideration and denied. However, in 6 months you can submit another request to the board. In which case you will provide your name, rank, serial number, names of various pets (if any), along with any excess weight you may have on your suffering skeleton. Only then, after careful deliberation of the facts and yor ‘plaint will an answer be given. :mrgreen:

Enjoy your day

– D’bal

Rommel
    Participant

Hi Deathbal:

Based on some of the things that I read; I didn’t expect my request to be given serious consideration. Hopefully, my post caused someone to contemplate sending a message to the MPC webmaster to set the record straight about the hack that they hosted and clear TheOne from a criminal accusation.

In my compromised way of thinking :

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000302.htm

this seems to be required.

Thanks for the reply,

Rommel

Thrax
    Participant

@rommel wrote:

Hi Deathbal:
    Based on some of the things that I read; I didn’t expect my request to be given
    serious consideration. Hopefully, my post caused someone to contemplate
    sending a message to the MPC webmaster to set the record straight about the
    hack that they hosted and clear TheOne from a criminal accusation.

In my compromised way of thinking :
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000302.htm
    this seems to be required.
    Thanks for the reply,
    Rommel

The evidence we gathered at the time was relatively conclusive, and
    overwhelmind majority vote declared the result.

However in the eyes of almost any developer, administrator, or host of any
    online game(buyable or otherwise), A hack or cheat that abuses the game
    and radically disrupts the servers or players could be easily seen as malicious.
    Claiming that the hack was malicious is a fair estimate of it’s result.

MPC and many other game-cheat sites that these abominations appear, are
    contacted immediately with pleas for the removal of such. Whether they
    comply or not is up to them
    We as the service crew have to predict, rewrite, and immunize against each
    exploit. The harder they try to abuse the game, the harder we work to repair
    the damage.

Pleading for a convicted criminal’s premature release and the un-restricting of
    the hacks themselves only tends to put a darker light on those trying.

Rommel
    Participant

Hi Thrax:

Thanks for the update.

Malicious Code indicates software that violates the security of the data or disrupts the hardware on a computer system. Intentionally disseminating malicious code is a CRIME. Making a false report of a CRIME might also be considered a CRIME in some jurisdictions.

If the people at MPC expended any time and energy to investigate the accusation that was made against TheOne, only to find it without merit, they would have legal grounds to seek compensation for damages incurred and rightly so.

The hack, as I understood it, was not malicious code. Although it was initially disruptive to my enjoyment of the game, there seems to be no evidence that it was disruptive to any of the systems upon which it was installed.

Without having the evidence in hand, making accusations of this sort could be more dangerous to the livelyhood of the game than the hack.

The point I wanted to make was that anyone acting in an offical capacity has ramifications to consider before taking action. Any action that could inflict a legal hardship on Gavin, should be left for him to submit at his own peril.

Sincerely,

Rommel

Deathbal
    Participant

@rommel wrote:

Hi Thrax:

Thanks for the update.

Malicious Code indicates software that violates the security of the data or disrupts the hardware on a computer system. Intentionally disseminating malicious code is a CRIME. Making a false report of a CRIME might also be considered a CRIME in some jurisdictions.

No one has made any false report to the police. People can have their opinions.

What’s funny is, I don’t even know what thread you are talking about. I’ll shut up now.

Rommel
    Participant

Hi Deathbal:

It seems very strange that you don’t recall the thread. If you can’t find a copy of the e-mail to MPC in your sent mail box, try searching these forums using MPC AND TheOne.

@deathbal wrote:

@rommel wrote:

Hi Thrax:

Thanks for the update.

No one has made any false report to the police. People can have their opinions.

What’s funny is, I don’t even know what thread you are talking about. I’ll shut up now.

Now that I’ve got your skirt flapping …

I’m not making a police report.
    You can’t object to inuendo if you have no objection to out right lies.

For some reason I don’t seem to have what it takes to tell lies about ANYONE and rationalize it as being acceptable, for ANY reason. In the Jewish and Christian religions I believe it is called bearing false witness and that it is on the top 10 list of things you should never do.

So, in order not to mislead anyone …

Deathbal was not the sender.

Hell! I don’t even know if there was a sender. All I know is someone made a post where they bragged about sending a fraudulent letter to MPC.

All I’m requesting is for someone in authority to look into this. If the charge of malicious code is found to be false, then sending an OFFICIAL retraction to MPC seems required. Just a short explaination clearing TheOne and to inform them that someone may have gotten a little over zealous and sent them a report that wasn’t entirely true seems sufficient.

Preventing things like this from happening in the future, is the challange bestown upon us all.

Best Wishes,

Rommel

BigBear
    Participant

*** Topic locked ***

As the private forums are currently unavailable this matter cannot be resolved for the time being. Now I don’t remember it like Romm says and until the relevant information is available this matter will be put on hold.

BigBear
    Participant

*** Topic unlocked ***

Now that everthing is back online I have done some investigating into the validity of Rommel’s claims. I really can’t see how you came up with that idea Romm. The only thing I can think of besides me missing something is that since you had access to individual posts rather than the threads themselves you pieced things together and came up with this notion. Suffice to say that it has been established for a loooong time that The One did NOT write that hack.

P.S. If you have ANY evidence of your claims Romm, feel free to PM me as I am interested in resolving this matter. D.S.

Rommel
    Participant

Hi Big Bear:

My recent experience with trying to be discrete and using private communications indicated that everyone doesn’t get the messages.
    @bigbear wrote:

*** Topic unlocked ***

Now that everthing is back online I have done some investigating into the validity of Rommel’s claims. I really can’t see how you came up with that idea Romm. The only thing I can think of besides me missing something is that since you had access to individual posts rather than the threads themselves you pieced things together and came up with this notion. Suffice to say that it has been established for a loooong time that The One did NOT write that hack.

P.S. If you have ANY evidence of your claims Romm, feel free to PM me as I am interested in resolving this matter. D.S.

I wouldn’t have spoken up like this without sound evidence. There was no inuendo, no suggestion, it was a statement of fact. After all, the thesis of my post was about having sound evidence and avoiding bearing false witness.

Here is everything you need:

Look for a post you made on Thursday April 10, 2008 where you said,
    “I agree that it’s better to have some imperfect countermeasures than having none at all.”

From that post, read slowly towards the future.

You will find more than one instance of what I reported but no reprimands or reprisals from the other keepers of the law.

The point here isn’t to cause petty trouble for anyone but rather trying to prevent some very serious trouble from ocurring in the future. Having been sued for more than a million dollars, I can tell you from experience that even though I won the case, I lost a great deal more than the quite considerable legal expenses.

Best wishes and happy hunting,

Rommel

BigBear
    Participant

After revisiting that thread once more today I have a few comments to make.
    * Nowhere is The One mentioned or implicated in that thread as the author of that hack. That is your guesswork, which happens to be incorrect btw. So much for sound evidence and not bearing false witness huh?
    * As for any e-mail(s) sent to another site in order to get them to remove cheat files for this game I have not seen it/them so I can’t comment on whether or not the words were wisely chosen. Besides what ppl decide to do privately on their own accord is hardly something that can be regulated by server admins or moderators now is it?
    Finally, it’s all good and well that you want to inform ppl about the possible legal consequences of their actions. However, I have to say that your personal interpretation of the pieces you have gathered of a puzzle you should not have seen in the first place is less than welcome. Then again, as the problem seems to have been fixed you can always find comfort in that you don’t have to see anymore “lies” or “trash” written in the “wild west forums”. I suppose that’s a win/win for everyone …

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Access Denied’ is closed to new replies.