This topic contains 13 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Deathstryker 9 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Deathstryker
    Participant

Well today, when I arrived at work, I learned that a 2000 model Grand Prix had caught fire in the parking lot earlier in the day. Luckily no one was injured. Even better, it was before we started our security guard duties so we didn’t have to write up a major report on it.

What makes this unusual is that this is the 3rd Grand Prix (around this year model) within the last year that has caught fire in the parking lots at our 2 sites that we do security work for. Unfortunately with the first 2, we had some major reports to write on those.

What usually happens is the employee parks the car and after about 15 minutes it bursts into flames.

After this time, I decided to look into it and found that there are several reports of these cars igniting yet GM has not issued any kind of recall. Supposedly at this time they are “investigating” it.

In the mean time, express some courtesy to your local security guard by not buying one of these cars (around this year give or take 3 years). Note that only some versions of this car seem to be affected.

If the car is still here tonight on my next shift, I’ll take some pics to show you what all the fire did to it. It IS totaled, btw.

15 pages of complaints from people who say their Grand Prix’s caught on fire

NHTSA investigation

xtc
    Participant

Also don’t buy Zhongxing, Hafei, Changfeng, Zhonghua, Gonow, Dongfeng, Nanjing, Lifan or Shuanghuan cars.

Deathstryker
    Participant

@xtc wrote:

Also don’t buy Zhongxing, Hafei, Changfeng, Zhonghua, Gonow, Dongfeng, Nanjing, Lifan or Shuanghuan cars.

Why? Do they light on fire too… and then fireworks start shooting out of them?

Rommel
    Participant

Spontanious combustion was a problem with vehicles built by Ford during the mid 90’s.@deathstryker wrote:

Well today, when I arrived at work, I learned that a 2000 model Grand Prix had caught fire in the parking lot earlier in the day.

It wasn’t due to the common causes such as witchcraft, extraterrestrial aliens and the mighty hand of God but was simply the result of improper engineering safeguards.

If you have any vehicle with an electric fan (regardless of the make) I encourage you to check with a dealer to be sure there isn’t a recall in effect. The automotive industry uses a great many parts that come from a limited number of suppliers. This means that a problem part recalled in a Ford could be found in most any vehicle made around the same time, even a Chevlolet. 😯

The spontanious combustion problem with Ford was that the fan relay contacts were underrated for the amount of Amperage the fan was allowed to draw. This resulted in relays that could weld their contacts closed.

So, even on a day below freezing (when the fan shouldn’t be running) when you parked the fan would be running. This is a warning. Left running long enough, the fan motors were succeptable to overheating and catching on fire. Properly implemented electrical saftey features could have prevented this from occurring.

And now you know … the rest of the story.

Paul Hardly – Good Day

Deathstryker
    Participant

Here is what it looked like…

Irishbandit
    Participant

Wouldn’t that just make your day. Locking your keys inside a car is one thing. Toasted car that would just suck royally.

xtc
    Participant

@deathstryker wrote:

@xtc wrote:

They can fall to pieces when you drive, doubt its a pleasant experience!

Mcb Lover
    Participant

OMG…it Xedos?!

Deathstryker
    Participant

@xtc wrote:

@deathstryker wrote:

@xtc wrote:

They can fall to pieces when you drive, doubt its a pleasant experience!

Well considering there are no Chinese cars in the US, I’m not gonna worry about that.

OFFTOPIC (moreso): Like the new “wear gas mask in this area” icon I have? Took a pic of that at a factory I work at. It’s meaningless but I thought it looked cool.

xtc
    Participant

@deathstryker wrote:

Well considering there are no Chinese cars in the US, I’m not gonna worry about that.

You’d better worry… still no? There’ll be plenty in few years 😉

OFFTOPIC (moreso):

No, thats not, offtopic in the offtopic section is topic! 😯 (or ontopic?)

Like the new “wear gas mask in this area” icon I have? Took a pic of that at a factory I work at. It’s meaningless but I thought it looked cool.

It does 🙂

Btw, have you already told ppl reponsible for safety there that it is meaningless? 😉

Deathstryker
    Participant

@xtc wrote:

Btw, have you already told ppl reponsible for safety there that it is meaningless? 😉

They would probably say, “What sign?”

Rommel
    Participant

It’s impossible to say for sure without looking under the hood but from the photo it appears as if the fire was localized near the radiator.
    @deathstryker wrote:

Here is what it looked like…

AGAIN, if you ever hear your electric fan running when you don’t think it should be, pull the main fuses or if you don’t know how to do that, put on saftey glasses and disconnect the battery (pulling the fuses is much safer). The location of the main fuses should be in your owners manual and is a good thing to know before you have a problem.

The battery will be driving a load (the fan) so expect sparks if you disconnect it. Sparks near the battery are bad news! Batteries contain hydrogen (see LZ-129 Hindenburg for details on hydrogen). Battery acid is very corrosive and blindness is a typical result you can expect from an exploding battery if you don’t protect your eyes.

Always protect your eyes.

Do not, drive it to the dealer, it’s not worth the risk. The car in the photo was sitting still. Imagine the photo if the flames had been fanned toward the passenger compartment by 30 MPH wind and melted the fuel line while driving down the road.

I’m not sure that this has been corrected but a few years back if the switch was turned on, a melted fuel line would allow the electric fuel pump to continue pumping fuel into the fire until the tank was empty or the battery melted down and shorted out.

Unlike the older mech. fuel pumps that stopped pumping when the engine died from a lack of fuel, electric fuel pumps continue to run as long as they are receiving electrical power. Nasty business, but after blowing an Olds Rocket 455 because of a ruptured diaphram in a mech. pump I decided that I’d never use anything but electric pumps again. I put a fuel pump cut off switch on the Olds for saftey but as far as I know, there is no OEM saftey switch for electric fuel pumps other than the inertia switch.

Why am I boring you with this again ??? My fan melted the insulation (excessive amp draw) on the wiring harness. Luckily, I smelled it and checked under the hood. Otherwise, I may have had a photo of my own to post on this topic. It is my sincere wish that none of you ever have a photo of your own like the one Deathstryker has shared.

Most anyone with a good understanding of electronics can check the relay for proper operation and the amp draw of your fan motor.

Best wishes,

Rommel

Deathstryker
    Participant

I got a couple of shots of it under the hood. I’ll upload the rest tomorrow. I was thinking of maybe trying to open the hood to take some shots but for insurance purposes, I figured I shouldn’t touch it. Looked like the latch was pretty well jammed anyway.

Rommel
    Participant

I must be extremely exhausted.@deathstryker wrote:

I got a couple of shots of it under the hood. I’ll upload the rest tomorrow. I was thinking of maybe trying to open the hood to take some shots but for insurance purposes, I figured I shouldn’t touch it. Looked like the latch was pretty well jammed anyway.

I just tried to rotate your photo using my mouse. I wanted to see the other side of the car. 😯 I’ve caught myslef doing this in photo editing software recently too. Would this indicate that I’m a Scorched addict?

Oh yeah, forgot something else … a faulty Temperature Sending Unit can send a bad reading that causes the fan to run continuously or a stuck thermostat can cause an excessively high temperature which will make the fan run contiuously too.

When in doubt, check it out.

Checking out some Zzzzzzz’s sounds like a good idea at the moment.

Later,

Rommel

Deathstryker
    Participant

other pics.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.