This topic contains 15 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  cbx550f 12 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

cbx550f
    Participant

I’ve noticed a trend lately, actually two:

1. When I play in the mornings (ie: before noon Eastern time), the crowd tends to be friendly, plays good competetive games, but without the whining and name calling. As the day goes by, things seem to go downhill.

2. When I started playing a bit over a year ago – there was no problems with foul language et cetera. Sure, the odd person would slip out a nasty on occasion, but not repetetively or in a malicious way. As time has gone by, the general attitude of people in the game has, bit by bit, degraded to the point where I’m not enjoying myself much on the server.

I don’t care to cast blame to anyone; actually, that’s one of the things that irritates me most is all the blame-flames.

I think it’s time I start spending my time elsewhere.

Cheers

cbx

Deathstryker
    Participant

Dammit, is it really getting that bad CB? I haven’t been in there in awhile. I guess I need to dedicate more time doing Admin duties.

Don’t leave for good! 😥

Irishbandit
    Participant

It is not a trend we have really good games at night with no one causing problems!!! The problem is certain players are well lets face it competitive jerks!!! I think that if players that tend to create problems are booted for a while it would help.

And cant there be a auto kicker made for language thats what i used to use when i was admin on irc that way you can put in words for all languages. That way even when there is no admin there will be kicks. And make it do it first time not giving people a couple of warnings just straight kick them if they do it multiple times then make it so that it does a kick ban.

Just a thought from my irc days!!!

Dont leave apache!!! 🙁

Apollo Tangent
    Participant

Try looking at their ranks being 350+

Are you retarded>?????????

You must be!

sleestak
    Participant

cbx550f, when I play mornings (Pacific Time) I get a fair number of non-English speakers. They are the best group to play with. If they’re insulting me, I wouldn’t know it, wouldn’t care. Sure, they might gang up on me, but that happens a lot to all new folks. (Kind of why I’d like to see an Assigned Targets mod.)

apache64d
    Participant

Ok, I won’t sat another word about AT, but, Irish, great Idea man!!

The auto-kick will solv lots of problems and the admins won’t have to “waste” hours here in order to make “peace” here.
    If CBX is realy thinking about leaving the game that things here realy got worst!!

What the heck is with you (few players only) guys??? LETS JUST HAVE FUN!

Play the game DON’T PLAY “WISE” GAMES!
    Irish 😆 don’t worry man I not leaving (….yet… 😕 ).

On your (all) side,

apache.

jdog
    Participant

Who you play with make the game a whole lot of fun or just blah.
    some people just can’t take losing and need to get over it, its just a game.

As to swearing I’m more in to signs @#!$!# 😉

Sondra
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

I’ve noticed a trend lately, actually two:

1. When I play in the mornings (ie: before noon Eastern time), the crowd tends to be friendly, plays good competetive games, but without the whining and name calling. As the day goes by, things seem to go downhill.

2. When I started playing a bit over a year ago – there was no problems with foul language et cetera. Sure, the odd person would slip out a nasty on occasion, but not repetetively or in a malicious way. As time has gone by, the general attitude of people in the game has, bit by bit, degraded to the point where I’m not enjoying myself much on the server.

I don’t care to cast blame to anyone; actually, that’s one of the things that irritates me most is all the blame-flames.

I think it’s time I start spending my time elsewhere.

Cheers

cbx

Awww hun and leave me alone with all those maniacs??? What I’m going to do??? That way I wont be able to be the permited clone!!!! NOOOO!!!!!!

Now seriously…
    I know what you mean cb, cus when I work (gmt time here) sometimes I play in the afternoom and have a good game, and at night well you know what I mean… Sometimes I was thinking in abandon all this, but facing you, willis, ebo hobbes and others cheared me up to go on.

At least we all have the DH at 90 at no winds 😉
    Next time, your place on hardc*** style 😛
    You know what I mean… Come back soon *kiss*

cbx550f
    Participant

Well, something tells me I can’t stay away for long. 😉

Perhaps I’ll take some time to work on a few things for the game that I’ve been meaning to try.

Irish, I like your idea, but for now I think I’ll just avoid conversations about kicking/banning until things cool down. 😉

cbx

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

I’ve noticed a trend lately, actually two
    …..

Sorry to hear that man.

I did have a look at swear filtering code, however everyone I spoke to about it said that people always find a way around the filters so it never works (by putting spaces between letters using punctuation etc..).

I guess the auto kick idea is a good one, but when people figure out it is on they will do the same thing again with these fiddled swear words.

But then again, anything that makes these words harder to type is probably worth it, what do people think?

Panther30
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

@cbx550f wrote:

…..

Sorry to hear that man.

I did have a look at swear filtering code, however everyone I spoke to about it said that people always find a way around the filters so it never works (by putting spaces between letters using punctuation etc..).

I guess the auto kick idea is a good one, but when people figure out it is on they will do the same thing again with these fiddled swear words.

But then again, anything that makes these words harder to type is probably worth it, what do people think?

This will soound hypocritical (seeing as how I slipped up once thismorning and was caught on the main server using the word (bitch) in refrence to myself. I dont normally slip up liike that)

But anyways it does sound hypocritical when I say “I agree, something needs to be done.” would be nice if I could reinforce my zero tolerance policy on my server by having something like the swear filter in place.

BOY
    Participant

on the topic of filters: a filter may be only a form of encouragement for those that want to be foul, it points out that there is a problem, it sets a tone. I would say stick to no filter as long as possible. This will work, so long as insults are always frowned upon by other players.

Of course a good filter might make it hard for them to figure out forms to use, and therefore easier to kill them because of the timer ! 😀 one more tool to take advantage of, could be a real deterent if its a good filter due to the turn based game.

cbx550f
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

@cbx550f wrote:

…..

Sorry to hear that man.

Well, like I suspected – I haven’t been able to stay away completely. 😉

Also, I must add: I played for hours last night, and had a GREAT time – thanks go out to all of the people who enjoyrd killing me last night. 😀

Regarding filters – I’ve been thinking that a client-side filter could work well. Simply have the client change words from “@#$%$” to “****” would work for me, perhaps that, coupled with a one or two strike auto-kick would be functional and effective for users. The beauty of a client-side filter is twofold:

1. The person swearing never sees it filtered out (unless he/she too has filtering enabled)
    2. The user can choose what he/she wants to be filtered out

The end result would be that it puts the individual in control; if the user is from Betelguese and he decides that whenever someone says “Zardoz” it should be replaced with “Holy Smokes”, he could do it.

We all know that filters can never be perfect, and what I think is even worse, Gavin, is that you would be overwhelmed with requests in the forum to “please stop someone from saying “x”. I might propose that we could have a simple text file that lists the nasty words or phrases, followed by a replacement word or phrase (or if not followed by anything it yields “****”), somewhat like the following:

"cluck"  "darn"
    "shoot" "gosh"
    "you killed yourself, you suck" "Nice cbx"

etc etc

Having it on the client side would enable me to control it, and I would think that would be enough to allow me to be comfortable in letting my son watch me play (he really enjoys it! :D) And, perhaps, even *let* my son play online!

On that note, would it possibly be of value to add a feature to turn off the chat and also let others know that you have done so? At times, I have simply muted almost everyone, or even everyone in one or two cases, so that I could continue to enjoy the game. I think if I could “turn off the chat”, and maybe have a little “muted” icon show up beside my name so that others can tell I can’t hear them so that they aren’t hampered or irritated by my lack of response, it would enable me to ignore the chat but still enjoy the game.

On a side note: I’ll admit to being a bit overtired and grouchy, and that has increased my frustration with foul language and whatnot lately. 😉

Cheers!

cbx

BOY
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

somewhat like the following:

"cluck"  "darn"
    "shoot" "gosh"
    "you killed yourself, you suck" "Nice cbx"

etc etc

ROFL

Deathstryker
    Participant

A client-side filter is a very smart idea. That way no one could get around that. At least as far as exploits go.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.