This topic contains 23 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Irishbandit 12 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Saddistic Fungus
    Participant

I just wanted to suggest a way to kill f-shields easier or to balance the shields more. I mean a mag, you can put a roller in there and kill them. Normal shields u can plop a bomb or roller right on top of it and its instant kill. But then you have force shields… It takes 5-6 shots to kill it by bouncing stuff off of it, and 2-3 shots with normal diggers to kill it. Now by this time poor old whoever is fighting this lamer shield is dead before they can kill it. Maybe there should be a way to kill it more hastily, like mebbe somekind of special weapon that could shrink the radius to small, or take a bunch off the remove power or i dunno. Im just getting sick of playing against ppl who use shields all the time cause it takes alot of fun out of the game. When i log on and see and f-shield I rather just go sit on my cough and smoke ciggerettes than play, and i know there are a few out there who feel the same way as me.

The other day we had a game of no shields, no DH’s, and no funkies, and i would have to say it was probably the best damn scorched3d game I have played since version 37….

Pephaps gavin, you could possible make a “medium” radius size for shields and make the f-shield a “medium” radius… or something, i mean the damn thing is just too powerfull and its cheap too… especially to those people who know how to save their money. All you gotta do is have 30k, buy three sell 2, bang u got a super shield with minimul cost, buy some funkies and other power weapons and just slaughter every1….

I dunno i am a rambling idiot but i gotta have my 5 cents eh

cbx550f
    Participant

I agree with you somewhat (and that’s also why I use them) 😉

BUT:

• If you plant a digger right at the edge of their shield, you can take the whole shield out in one shot.
    • If that fails, a heavy roller works dandy
    • You can buy one too, you know 😉

Something else I’ve thought of before – we should have a “Shield Buster” weapon! One that does 0 damage to a tank, but can (with a direct hit) take a shield right out.

This would add strategy somewhat akin to my ol’ “Dig’n Roll” tactic – and would be REALLY cool in team games (when teammates coordinate their efforts).

My $0.02 😉

cbx

Panther30
    Participant

some of the mods use powerful shields… but we have found ways around them…. using a bit of what I learned from ebo (see my sig). for me I just find in gets a little boring having to use the same shield crushing tactics round after round, game after game. I hardly ever play a full game on my own server.

hobbesme
    Participant

@Saddistic Fungus wrote:

The other day we had a game of no shields, no DH’s, and no funkies, and i would have to say it was probably the best damn scorched3d game I have played since version 37….

Which reminds me of …. 🙂

Deathstryker
    Participant

Lol, I forgot all about that silly post.

comedown
    Participant

fungus, i can see where you’re coming from, but like i said in server and cbx said above.. You can buy them too.

and as for hobbes’ post suggesting a shield-free server, the removal of shields from the game wouldn’t make for a game where everyone is equally matched, and where pure skill decides the winner, one thing the strong shields brought in to scorched was the near-certainty that you’ll never lose a game again due to a bad spawn.

it’s the very inclusion of these powerful shields that make the game almost completely fair, even though it doesn’t seem that way to those who haven’t quite got the hang of them.

the only time it’s unfair is when someone enters during a late round, but instead of moving to ‘outlaw’ the current shields, why not go in the direction of changing the starting amount of cash recieved.

instead of giving a set 25k to a player when he/she joins, why not take the cash amount each player with more than 25k has (ignoring people with cash below 25k), create an average from that, and award said over-25k-average to the new player.

example:

player 1 has 40k
    player 2 has 30k
    player 3 has 50k
    player 4 has 26k

the new player would be awarded 36.5k on joining.

😕

?

Willis
    Participant

Well when comparing to other sheilds, the force sheild really (just by definition) is in a class of its own.

Solid sheilds (normal / heavy) area designed to take abuse from weapons – very hard and solid abuse. True you can pop them with a very well placed roller directly (I find that attempting this takes at least 2 attempts average, if its not in the right spot – the spheres of the roller will fan out and bounce away). But again these sheilds are designed to NOT deflect weapons, shoot them with a bb nuke or something their going to take that abuse.

Mag sheilds are top reflection sheilds, if you can shoot with a roller or napalm – the weapon should bypass the sheild and directly kill the individual. (which techniqly they do not – it damages the sheild first..). Or if you have a good angle you can shoot a projectile underneath the sheild and make contact with the unit.

The force sheilds however, it is true that they are the best choice *period* and that no other sheild is worth it compared to the force sheild. It does not come without methods to destroy.

Their bounce damage intake is 20. if you heavin forbid must shoot simple missiles, 5 shots WILL take one out. But that hint hint is their purpose and their flaw. Thier designed so that you cannot attack them directly. Use in-direct attacks. If your a heavy explosive person such as the nuke or mirv user, launch a nuke just before the sheild to create strong damage against it. Or a mirv if you can get numerous bounces it will harm the sheild a lot.

A funky bomb landed outside (this is tricky – funky bombs are not some rookie weapon) of a sheild and the shield + owner are dead – end of discussion.

You can do as cbx mentioned and use a digger class weapon. The reason they are so effective is jestured within my prior paragraphs – the digger spawns out from one airial projectile to numerous underground projectiles. when the projectiles fan out they collide with the sheild. Bounce damage factor of 20% – 5 underground digger projectiles will do as needed to take out the sheild.

Or if you prefer to be more tatical, use my aproach as jestured in the battery topic – create a hole near or around (litterly – drop them in it) the user. Then shoot a roller or heavy roller in said hole. If their not driving out (SONDRA!) – guarnteed death.

Sheilds each have their strengths and flaws, some are designed for raw abuse and merely require bigger weapons, others require logical thinking.

—-
    And like cbx said, if you must – buy one of your own.
    —-

Comedown that has some flaws – consider if myself and Ebonite were playing? I like to challenge him on his cash total (try to get more then him 😉 ) and with that lets say round 6 we’d both be in the 200,000+ range.

If there was only 2 other people with us, they were floating around 30,000 avg.

Maybe:
    200,000 (me)
    215.000 (ebo.. jerk :P)

475,000 / 4 = 118,750

Should someone seriously join in with that much? Not even considering the interest they would build from it? True it would battle them better against Ebo and I, but to those other 2 individuals, they had to sit and spend their money trying to keep us off thier backs, their expenses were modivated by out presense. The new people joining get a free ride past that.

If anything – what if we have a simple 2K extra each round?

Round 1 = 25,000
    Round 2 = 27,000
    Round 3 = 29,000
    Round 4 = 31,000
    Round 5 = 33,000
    Round 6 = 35,000
    Round 7 = 37,000
    Round 8 = 39,000
    Round 9 = 41,000
    Roudn 10 = **no point? Game’s over?**

Round 8 – 39,000, an extra 14,000 is nothing to greif over. Heck if you need to think interest, we’re considering 7 rounds worth of interest if a person was there for round 1. To reserve 1900 (and its interest built up) from round 1 – you would HAVE that 14,000!!

Its not much in the grand sceme of things – and its a little bit more fair, not a heavy load but its better then default 25,000.

comedown
    Participant

true, perhaps there could be a ceiling on the amounts included in the average, a 25k minimum, a 60k max?

i do like your idea of set increments better though, i have to say.

Ebonite
    Participant

@willis wrote:

… consider if myself and Ebonite were playing? I like to challenge him on his cash total (try to get more then him 😉 ) and with that lets say round 6 we’d both be in the 200,000+ range.

If there was only 2 other people with us, they were floating around 30,000 avg.

Maybe:
    200,000 (me)
    215.000 (ebo.. jerk :P)

475,000 / 4 = 118,750

Should someone seriously join in with that much? Not even considering the interest they would build from it? True it would battle them better against Ebo and I, …

Freudian slip there, Willis. You gave yourself 200,000.00, and me 215.00 (0). 😛 Jerk. But yeah, lots of people try to match me for money, but come round 10, who has the most? 8) Heck, there have even been games where I join late and still have the most money in Round 10. My all-time best is $780,000+. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Willis
    Participant

@ebonite² wrote:

Freudian slip there, Willis.

Thats what you think 😈

Sondra
    Participant

EBO!!!

I want my money back!!!!
    You came to me asking for it and I’m still waiting to have it back sooo pass it!!!! 😈 😈 😈

cbx550f
    Participant

If people are really concerned about this, instead of adding new rules for new player’s starting money etc etc, why don’t we just make the force shield more expensive?

I, personally, think everything is fine now, but it wouldn’t hurt my feelings is force shields doubled in price.

BOY
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

If people are really concerned about this, instead of adding new rules for new player’s starting money etc etc, why don’t we just make the force shield more expensive?

I, personally, think everything is fine now, but it wouldn’t hurt my feelings is force shields doubled in price.

cbx us totally right, adjusting the prices is the most efficient way to ballance any of these problems, OR (and I say again) we could make everything have true value by reducing the interest. In the current system, DH and funky bombs are not rare. THEY SHOULD BE. round 10 has become a round of futility. 3 players with DH and FB to just goof off. Its not even serious half the time.

the solution is to give a kill some REAL value. make the kill the primary way to gain money by increasing the kill award, AND reducing intrest!!!! That way folks will really have to think hard about what they buy. AND getting back in the game would be easier. It should not be possible to wind up with 780,000 quite frankly.

Intrest is being abused
    THere is also a serious shortage of good weapons, it really does seem everyone is bored with funky bombs and deaths heads these days. I know I am. I keep hearing that it is not skilled to use them.. so on and so on…..

Willis
    Participant

Well regarding choices – new weapons are not the solution.

Although I agree the array of weapon selection is short handed / predictable – to add new weapons would make a futile effort.

In any game anywhere it’s only natural for individuals and communities to filter though any given accessory to decide if its a waste of money or their pride and joy.

To add new weapons would likely weild one of two results: Either players would compare new weapons to existing weapons and find the new weapons are pointless to switch to. Or they would compare and completely forget their old strategies and stick tot heir new loved killing toy.

BOY
    Participant

New weapons may not be a real solution, but they could make things more fun.

I think it would really be interesting to see how the shield stratagy changed if the regular and heavy shields (which actually can withstand very little abuse) would be more effective. The popularity of rollers and napalm combined with the effects of these weapons make a regular shield actually hazardous to the user!!! (just got to love redi for sticking with heavy shields) That is not really right. A good shot (hell, just a decent shot) with a baby roller on top of a those shields is a kill. They bump away and do nothing when coming off the terrain….. Kinda dumb

Think of how things would change if rollers detonated ONLY when they made conact with a tank. Why DO they sometimes roll off, and other times explode on the shield. It seems there is a sweet spot (nearly the whole top half I would guess) on the shield that makes them go boom, but I dont understand why. if the side of the shield is struck, they roll away….. When someone lights up one of these, a wicked grin always comes across my face…. “so you have chosen, death” I think to myself.

If napalm would not be allowed to penetrate the sucky shields it would also be an improvement (or perhaps it could be allowed only to penetrate F-shields) I also like the idea of napalm only being able to penetrate the shield once it is on the ground, that way napalm landing right on the shield has a chance of running off and away. THe way it is, I land it on your shield and it falls right through the shield 👿 . What’s up with that ❓ Pretty dumb

What is really great is that these shields are especially harmful to noobs. poor suckers. They already waste their money as it is! “My shield did not protect me!! waaaaaaa! what a bunch of bullshit!”

The whole problem of the shield radius is solved if the weapons we able to actually damage the shields directly. as it is, they cannot. the health of the tank and the shield is actually one and the same. The baby rollers do no damage to a F shield when they explode because their blast radius is smaller than that of the shield and they do not reach the tank. The shield should actally BLOCK the effects of the blast to really be a shield but actually what they are, are imaginary borders that weapons cannot pass through but the effects of which CAN pass through. Kinda funny really. If the health of the shields was diminished by damage to the shield and NOT to the the tank, it would be an improvement. [THis would require a readustment of the strength of the baby rollers power for instance, cause this would inevitably lead to baby rollers nullifying the shields in one blow rather than being useless as they are now.]

LAST BUT NOT LEAST

Interest is being abused. No one wants to agree with me on this or even address the issue (i wonder why), but I think many of you feel that I am right. Cant you see that the interest creates a system that monetarily enables and ecourages frequent use of Death’s Heads and Funky Bombs. You all are addicted to interest and are affraid to admit it. Ebonite has gotten to you all, HE’s IN YOUR HEADS! Shake off the shackles of capitalist materialism!! errrr…. Imperialism ummmm…… inferiorism –

-ism

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.