This topic contains 61 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  BOY 11 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

BigBear
    Participant

I agree that there are too few people playing at the present to warrant more servers. I also think that all these ideas for a decent and balanced limit system however well intended are futile in the sense that no matter what you will be stepping on somebodys toes.

Problems with no limit:
    As it is now there are some noobs that are pissed over the fact that there are pros playing too often on beginners. A fact that by itself should tell you something about the number of players regularly playing the game. Some even quit the game as soon as a low ranking player connects. This obviously isn’t any good for the sake of getting new recruits. A tip for the noobs:
    – Use the available resource and ask for some pointers (a lot of pros will really try to help if they can).
    There is also a lot of (at least some) players that can be regularly seen playing on main but refuse to go to main if there are any good players there. How will one ever become a good player if one never play against good players?

Problems with having a limit:
    A lot of the games I’ve played on main recently have started as a result of starting out on beginners because main was empty. Then after a while another pro connects and we decide to move the action to main. I have no patience for hanging around alone for 30 mins on main watching an empty screen hoping someone will join. Please don’t take away this opportunity to make the wait enjoyable by excluding me and others by inserting a limit.

As I see it there is no ultimate way to solve this problem. It is up to the individual to conduct themselves in a way that ensures that things will run a smoothly as possible. It is the responsibility of the admins to handle those who will not comply. I’d prefer any day of the week having an admin in charge over issues rather than a filter excluding a player based on stats. Maby something has to be done in time as more players get addicted :D, but for now lets keep things the way they are.

Jock
    Participant

I’ve been playing the game now for 4 weeks, but as soon as i got my 50 kills i went straight to the main server. I was getting killed every 5 seconds, but it’s all part of learning. Now i think, tell me if i’m wrong i’m reasonably good.

If ppl are able to go to main they should go there not beginners, that way the main server will have a lot more pro on it, and makes things in my opinion more of a challenge. I find it hard to compete sometimes, but i get better a lot faster than killing noobs.

Also if beginners were free for the noobs, as said before they come on the server see that there are 3 or 4 pro and go. If beginners were free for them more ppl will progress to main, keeping the game alive.

๐Ÿ˜› ๐Ÿ˜›

I myself do go to beginners to see who is there and go straight to main, if i can get pro to go, if not i tend to go to shock mod or panther and keep an eye on main to see if anyone connects.

The responsibility lies with the pro’s to set an example, always go to main if you have more than 50 kills. ๐Ÿ˜ก If you want to kill bots, there are a lot of other servers to choose from. ๐Ÿ˜›

Rant over , enjoy.

๐Ÿ‘ฟ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

BOY
    Participant

yes, basically its up to the individual, the admins cant fix everything for everyone.

One idea I have proposed to the admins that has not really taken shape, is posting a policy for top players at Beginners that they may be kicked after getting a certain number of kills in a game. Such as, when kills in game = rank on server, they must leave.

I had already Told Zebulon I would be kicking him if he got over 10 kills in a game. He got pissed and I have not seen him since, perhaps it worked. Not sure.

FACT: You cant please everyone all the time. You cant please everyone part of the time. You cant even please some peaple all of the time. But you can please most of the people some of the time.

umm, right? ๐Ÿ™„

@ Jock, I am always glad to see newer players at main, and yeh, you gave me a good run for my money the other day. It would be nice if there were more people like you. But hey, some people just want to totally goof off, others take it more seriously, but still have just as much fun.

barnabas
    Participant

Bear, Jock, Boy – My story’s similar to Jock’s. I played for a couple of days on the beginner’s server desperately trying to get my 50 kills so I could join main. I got slaughtered on main immediately but it’s how I got better. It would be nice if when pros go to beginners they are there to offer advice. Unfortunatly I’ve seen plenty who are there when there are decent main or team or panther or apoc server games going and they’re just killing away and keeping silent.

Like Bear said, the beginner’s server is a great place to go when no other pros are around and then recruit them when they too show up on beginners. So a limit there doesn’t seem to help those of us who play (especially those of us in the midwest USA who have few to play with around midnight every night).

Somehow it would be nice if noobs could be assured that on the beginner’s server they would be safe from the pro assassin and that they would receive advice, not death. I know a lot of noobs want a bots-first policy when bots are there. Though I think that’s a dumb rule overall, perhaps an unspoken bots-first for pros on the beginner server. I myself would be willing to go for that because I know that the more noobs who: develop skills, join main, and are nice people because they were treated nicely, the more players we will have around who are pleasant to play with. I’ve met plenty of nice people who I still haven’t seen on main.

Jock, I don’t know what you’re talking about. Just because you have lots of kills doesn’t mean you’re good – I mean, look at me! Lots of kills, but not very good. So you’re probably the same…oh…wait, you have 4.4 shots per kill…dang that’s good…man!…i really am terrible…why, why didn’t someone get a screenshot of that one day I whooped up on wowb?

-barnabas the terrible

Jock
    Participant

ROFL Barny, thanks i’m embarased now. ๐Ÿ˜ณ all the praise, shucks.

I’m with you barny i think there should be rule that bots have to come first when pro on beginners and the beginners take the pro, then the pro hopefully get wiped before they have a chance to take noobs ๐Ÿ™„ Then they may get the hint. Admin should kick Pro who disregard this rule.

๐Ÿ‘ฟ

Those who go to beginners for an easy life, get a life and have a challenge. Let’s se your skills against great players, like Barny ๐Ÿ˜‰

Quote:

Jock
    Participant

I’ve played on the beginners server today a couple of time. The first time i was lucky as apache was there and we went to the main for a quick game. The second time, there were 3-4 players who could have gone to the main, so i invited them and the response was, naming no names, Nighty ran off. Wizz responce was ” Why go to main they have the same here ” John Cena also a no and ran in the middle of a round so not ot be killed by a noob.

๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ˜ก

This is very frustrating and i can see why this forum has come about, they all run scared? If players don’t have time for a game on main then say as this has irritated me greatly.

๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

I’ve only been playing the game for 4 weeks and already i can sympathise with those that have been playing for a long time, as no one wants to go to the main and Admin who have to try to encourage ppl to play on the correct servers.

๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ‘ฟ ๐Ÿ‘ฟ ๐Ÿ‘ฟ ๐Ÿ‘ฟ ๐Ÿ‘ฟ

To these playes who run as they can only kill noobs, i challenge you to come to the main and bring your skills if you have any, maybe you will then become good players, instead of picking off noobs and scaring them from the game as you will be the downfall of scorched. As the noobs will no longer continue to come back!

๐Ÿ‘ฟ ๐Ÿ‘ฟ ๐Ÿ‘ฟ ๐Ÿ‘ฟ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

Right rant over, for those who didn’t have time sorry you should have said and for those not willing to help the game continue in a fair manner, please leave. ๐Ÿ˜ก

As you can see this really got to me and not much does!

๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ‘ฟ ๐Ÿ‘ฟ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

BOY
    Participant

I added a poll, after 3 pages of discussion, something needs to be settled.

barnabas
    Participant

Now Jock, don’t forget that one time today we got Mr. Subliminal and Goatkiller to come to main and they kicked my little terrible butt. So recruiting is successful – and I think that some don’t realize how many of us on the main server are actually pretty easy to kill. Namely, me.

Jock said: I’ve only been playing the game for 4 weeks

OKAY jock we GET it you’re AMAZING for such a NOOB as you ARE.

GOSH.

๐Ÿ™‚

Just for the record I came ten days after you – so I’ve been here only two weeks bwa ha ha ha.

Cinnibar
    Participant

I oppose game-limits on kills… because I don’t have 50 yet and I’m stuck on the newbie server for at least a couple more games (I think I had 16+ kills my last game on the newbie and I think I only have 20 total so far in 15 rounds of play).

This isn’t really the issue, but for the more experienced player, it’d be nice to be able to jump through the newbie server and head straight to advanced quickly without a single-game kill cap. I’ve been playing about two weeks already… on other servers, and I like to think I’m good enough to play on the advanced server, but I have to suffer through another few hours of newbies shooting themselves and not turning on their ‘chutes before I can get there.

Knocking me off while I’m trying to get 50 total because I got too many in one game? Silly.

What about the folks that reinstall/reset and start a new ID because they wiped the old one? Same issue that I’m having here.

ChmOOrecK
    Participant

@boy wrote:

Such as, when kills in game = rank on server, they must leave.

@cinnibar wrote:

Knocking me off while I’m trying to get 50 total because I got too many in one game? Silly.

A little missanderstood here, i think… if your rank, Cinnibar, is about 300 you can make 300 kills per game… isn’t it enough for you ? ๐Ÿ˜‰

BTW… i think it’s good rule, BOY ๐Ÿ™‚
    Or maybe max 10 kills for players under 200 pos in stats… ?

We could still play while no game on main… just be carefull not to kill too much ๐Ÿ˜‰

Cinnibar
    Participant

@chmooreck wrote:

@boy wrote:

Such as, when kills in game = rank on server, they must leave.

@cinnibar wrote:

A little missanderstood here, i think… if your rank, Cinnibar, is about 300 you can make 300 kills per game… isn’t it enough for you ? ๐Ÿ˜‰

… If I have that many targets, I want that many kills. I’m just greedy like that.

But seriously…

How about an economic barrier rather than a kill barrier? IE : You earn less money (interest or kill bounties) based on your height in the rankings or skill level. It’d put the higher ranked players at a moderate disadvantage and level the field against newbies that aren’t as good. You wouldn’t be arbitrarily kicking players off the server, and it would encourage better players to move to the “unrestricted income” pro server.

Alternately, start players with less cash if they’re higher ranked. Either option would offer a field-leveling option on servers where the established pros dominate and increase the challenge factor.

BOY
    Participant

The idea of a Handicap was also proposed privately by some of the admins. Its a pretty good idea, but i forgot to add it in. The problem is the best way to go about handicapping the individiual pro. I know of a few people that could still get 20 kills with baby rollers and diggers only. I would have to say, that a handicap — in order to let someone play that has reached their kill per game or their total kill limit — would need to be a nasty one. Such as

NO STARTING MONEY
    INABILITY TO EARN ANY MONEY OTHER THAN START MONEY
    NO WEAPONS or RESTRICTED TO ARMS LEVEL 2
    NO DEFENSE

the possibilities here are clearly many. Not a good way to poll it. But everyone feel free to ammend your vote with a comment for the Handicap option. Another option can be added, if it seems popular idea.

Cinnibar
    Participant

@boy wrote:

The idea of a Handicap was also proposed privately by some of the admins. Its a pretty good idea, but i forgot to add it in. The problem is the best way to go about handicapping the individiual pro. I know of a few people that could still get 20 kills with baby rollers and diggers only. I would have to say, that a handicap — in order to let someone play that has reached their kill per game or their total kill limit — would need to be a nasty one. Such as

NO STARTING MONEY
    INABILITY TO EARN ANY MONEY OTHER THAN START MONEY
    NO WEAPONS or RESTRICTED TO ARMS LEVEL 2
    NO DEFENSE

the possibilities here are clearly many. Not a good way to poll it. But everyone feel free to ammend your vote with a comment for the Handicap option. Another option can be added, if it seems popular idea.

Even diggers and baby rollers cost money…

I’d say start them with half the usual allotment of starting cash, and they earn half what they’d normally earn. It becomes rather difficult at that point to buy shields AND chutes AND diggers AND rollers. You could always tweak the starting cash or institute a sliding scale based on rank as well… IE : 1-25 get 25%, 26-50 get 50%, 51-200 get 75%… The higher you go, the harder it gets for you.

I don’t see a technology cap making too much of a difference, and I think removing shields entirely hurts different people based on their style but won’t stop them. You’ll just see a lot of fuel used. The money cap is the only way to level the field that I can think of that makes sense. If it was server-adjustable based on rank ranges and percentage of starting cash/earnings, it could be periodically tweaked as well if the initial ranges are out of whack (and as a side note, the bots in #1-4 could be set to 100% earnings).

Another economic tweak could be changing the kill bounties to be rank-dependent, rewarding everyone for shooting at the big-guns first.

You can also attack the economy from the costs side rather than the income side as well, where items just cost 100%/50%/25% more for players of various ranks.

As another thought left field from both the first thoughts, having the bots biased to target the highest ranked players first or more often could also be an option.

BOY
    Participant

havin bots attack higher ranks is a good idea, I think a while new ai would be needed for that. I thought the cyborgs already targeted the lead player most of the time, maybe not though.

Eventally we will have to make a list of the best ideas…..

I think in the handicap department you are missing one thing. Money is not a problem for alot of Pro’s. Half money? BAH, a minor nusance. I could still get 25 kills if i was determined. If there is a handicap, I think it really aught to hurt. technology not gonna do nothing you say? have you looked at arms level 2 lately?

you get baby sandhogs, baby diggers, rollers and even shields, but no parachutes or batteries or fuel, now tell me that wont hurt ya.

Cinnibar
    Participant

@boy wrote:

havin bots attack higher ranks is a good idea, I think a while new ai would be needed for that. I thought the cyborgs already targeted the lead player most of the time, maybe not though.

Eventally we will have to make a list of the best ideas…..

I think in the handicap department you are missing one thing. Money is not a problem for alot of Pro’s. Half money? BAH, a minor nusance. I could still get 25 kills if i was determined. If there is a handicap, I think it really aught to hurt. technology not gonna do nothing you say? have you looked at arms level 2 lately?

you get baby sandhogs, baby diggers, rollers and even shields, but no parachutes or batteries or fuel, now tell me that wont hurt ya.

The Tech limit and the Cash limit both do the same thing : they put a pro in the situation where they restrict his/her inventory. I just think the cash thing is a broader implementation than a tech limit. At Tech 2, if a pro has the cash, they’ll buy 6 shields and be nigh invunerable to direct fire. Sure, you can undermine them, but that’s harder than hitting them directly. Really, there’s a point where the cash limit would hurt a pro, probably closer to 10-25%, where all of the tools that he/she’d use wouldn’t be as easy to get. Then it becomes a game of shields OR diggers and rollers, and the pros have an interesting and difficult challenge ahead of them.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.