This topic contains 18 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  imported_gcamp 7 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

ArmorWraith
    Participant

Thoughts

Could we have a stats server set up like it was before the changes.
    (I personally just mod and merge myself but it seems theres a bit of chaos and frustration in main)

The only change I would suggest would be to only allow buying missiles batts and cutes through rounds 1-9, with round 10 being FFA. it seems this is the main game mode most seasoned players prefer. Call it the “Elite Server or something catchy”. It would be just another mod server in which top ranking players would get a missile badge added to their forum profile after the stats season to boast their skill. I see no reason why this couldnt be done seeing as a even newer form of gameplay is now available.(v 43) It seems Thrax’s MCB mod is not as alluring because there is no forum reward offered for rank 1-3.

Secondly, Boy i admire your spirit, it shows you care deeply about the community here and the overall health of scorched 3d. But id like to pose a Question to all in general “Why do we need more players”?

I personally enjoy knowing everyone, new players can be fun, but with new players come newer problems, much like were experiencing as of late. Decisions on wether or not its fair to newbs should not be a concern, its wether the noobs can adjust and get better. A begginers server was set up for this very reason was it not? I dont see why main cant be an advanced shooting gallery, with my forementioned server being the next step from “advanced to elite”.

Boy regarding your changes, could you not have formed a “Beta Stats Server” and tested it with bots and a volunteer group first?

I am all for change, but I see more and more players are leaving or becoming frustrated. Was the whole goal of this project not to drive players away or make them angry, but to attract some more to become seasoned players?

I dont see how driving older players off benifits the newbs much, as i learned most of my tips from older seasoned players and Thrax.

Regarding the bots in the server, I do agree, but should the bot not leave after 2 players join, as to make it a “human game”?

I have recently read Xtc’s post, all of it, closely. It seems to me he has put as much effort into his thoughts as you have your’s, could you not find a common ground and go from there? Make Polls, Introduce Beta servers, ask ALOT of questions etc..

Not all players will come to the forums, I wouldnt doubt some dont even know it exists. So when they join a server why not have an optional questionaire or something of the sort?

Formalities

Concerning the Website: an option to have the background a color of your choice would not be a bad idea, as my eyes would be very greatful.
    (sure Lappy could rig it up Easy!)

Concerning its appearance: could we not have it match the message displayed when you first download scorch, where it discusses the online help and such. I think its a very pretty design and the green is very rich.

Concerning the forums: a screenshot/fanart forum would be nice seeing as how screenshots would show up in Google images more frequently.
    ( iam an artist first and foremost)

Concerning Formalities and player relations: We ALL love scorch, should we not have respect and dignity for one another? I have heard more then enough name calling in the forums. Hes a dictator and she is vile and such. Respect will get you further than any name calling or jabs ever will. [-o<

Personal Notes

Boy I approve of your stance and I can see where your comign from, but there are alot of views out there, listen , act on what you hear. Tweak those ideas to make the game both fair and fun. Obviously you are trutworthy as Gavin gave you the “keys” to his servers, I have full faith that you will indeed improve the gameplay, you may have just got excited in the beggining.
    ( i know i would, gotta be a sic hobby)

Personal note: Boy I read somewhere you made a mod, what was it and is it still up for download somwhere?

Note to all and a Quote

I would just like to remind everyone that this game is open source, and that the people that develop it are indeed doing this in their free time and out of their love of scorched earth. Boy has indeed spent much of his time pondering solutions, as have many others. I encourage you not to get frustrated, mad or act unreasonably as the chaps here are a good bunch, and will sort out problems eventually in a organized and open minded manner.

Finally wrapping up this book I leave you with theese words to ponder.

“Every individual is a new gateway to a different world.”

Thanks for taking the time to read, questions and comment wanted and welcome.

Kanga =D>

Rommel
    Participant

Sorry, you lost me in the first paragraph.

It was indeed considerate of you to spare me the extra
    reading. This poses a problem in responding to the poll.

Did I think putting your suggestion at the first of the post
    was a good idea? Yes it was. Thanks again.

Did I think it was a good suggestion. No

That is why I stopped reading after the first few lines.

Better luck next time.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

The suggestions for main were of course located first, in the following paragraphs there is considerately more suggestions on how to improve the website.

Kanga

“igonorance is bliss”

below is the simple setup i propose

Rommel
    Participant

Breaking multiple suggestions into multiple posts
    might prevent others from doing the same thing
    without saying anything. In light of your implied
    suggestion that there are some “nuggets” worth
    examing, I am off in search of the nuggets.

TTFN

P.S. – Jeepers !!! No wonder I stopped reading.

Read your first few lines again. I read those and
    then saw that MCB was the only suggestion you
    were intending to present.

I’m going to put some sticky notes over that part
    and give it another go. More soon.

P.P.S. – The amount of effort one puts into something is not a
    valid indicator of the value of the product. It takes some serous
    effort and quite a bit of time for me to have a bowel movement
    occassionaly but the result is all the same.

Not to say that is the way I see XTC’s post, just that the
    rational you presented in support of the post is flawed.

You support a presentation of supposed facts based on a
    through examination of the facts. To do otherwise shows
    that you have not understood much of what I’ve been
    preaching at everyone. Yes, I know … I can’t help it.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

-removed, no longer needed-

BOY
    Participant

I got a good smile out of this 😀

“why get new players?”

I had to ponder this idea. I am quite curious if the community really does feel that way. Some feel passionately about getting new players. Others are apathetic, they care only for the game of the moment. I get that. Unfortunately, the ones of the moment are the ones that play the most…. its a catch 22!!! I feel that players will inevitably leave the game. If they leave a bit sooner and go play WoW, because we don’t cater to them, fine, as long as two addicted noobs replace them.

I appreciate the idea of a third “pro” server. This idea is what veterans like. We are pretty sure we need a beginners server for the rif raf to piddle in. We need a pro server for the 5 yr veterans to make fun of each other and talk the talk. The middle server really is a good idea. I really would love the human-only server again. I get along with the veterans, I avoid the beginners server like a disease :P.

However, starting servers and stats and betas is not my area. I simply don’t have ability or resources to do that. Gavin does. Gavin is unfortunately the bottle neck we’re talking about. We’ve got Thrax’s servers and I would smile if Thrax became a millionaire charging a dime per game and Gavin was poor and went on doing just R & D.

I got hired just as a publicity and admin guy. I am really just a beat cop, nothing more :(. Okay, maybe a captain, but even the captain has no real power but to punish the beat cops. Commish makes all the calls. Or is the the city council. Gavin is like the commissioner and council all in one. [-o<

Lastly, the game does not allow MCB for nine rounds and FFA for one. It gradually increases arms levels. As for some of the settings, I made a few changes that weren’t great. I am still glad is shook things up, as of now, things are pretty well normal again really. Only the bot is what I’d call a significant persistent change.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

We can only restrict by armslevel? perhaps this could be changed in the new version, though it seems you guys are full up already, perhaps you could mention this to Gavin? (perhaps restrict it by setting it to which round manually?)

I dont wish to overload gavin with new requests, but this would probably solve quite a few of the players conflicting gameplay problems.

Kanga

Chopper
    Participant

Boy,
    It is tricky sorting the gnat sheet and pepper…but people coming to “beginners” like I did many years ago are a mix of just people (curious)……and “riffraff” as you call it (the marauding group of Italians from last year comes to mind).

I really can’t see anyone thats WoW material even giving this game a second look.

While I was trying to survive on beginners, I kept going to the
    practice games to learn to shoot. I learned some basic moves on beginners got my 50….and then stepped up to the big time on main. Got my azz kicked up and down the street by a great, patient bunch of people. all in good fun and comradeship.

third server?……..well…dunno know. But it would be good to get to the previous two server setup back. Ive already expressed some thoughts on it.

And PLLLLLLLuuueeze.get the damn bots of main after we get three or more on it, or better yet just flush’em. It “feels” like beginners , I don’t care how mean they are. [-o<

bazzz
    Participant

The idea of a third server sounds good to me, it could be an elite where there are restrictions. It could be an intermediate. I did make some suggestions ,i was talking about a server dedicated to casual game play ,especially with the new modes of faster play i see possibilities of hooking people and growing this community.

It does seem to require some changes tough in the way things are done around here. And my experience is that there is a lot of reluctance to change.

Can someone explain why?

ArmorWraith
    Participant

@bazzz wrote:

The idea of a third server sounds good to me, it could be an elite where there are restrictions. It could be an intermediate. I did make some suggestions ,i was talking about a server dedicated to casual game play ,especially with the new modes of faster play i see possibilities of hooking people and growing this community.

It does seem to require some changes tough in the way things are done around here. And my experience is that there is a lot of reluctance to change.

Can someone explain why?

people settle into habits and we dont like to change them, some view boys changes as unfair and dictator like, I personally dont think so. He’s just trying to rattle the cage a little with some fun and new adventure to shake the boredom and to bring about more active participation from the community.

Kanga

Chopper
    Participant

Main and Team servers were always the known thing you could back to for a good time and talk to friends. Theres plenty of exotic mod servers around. Thrax’s playhouse, the scavenger servers and more.

This game attracted and held people many years. Feel like I’m saying same thing over and over. #-o

Maybe I’m just a member of the “Don’t move my Cheese” society. :mrgreen:

ArmorWraith
    Participant

cheese lol

BOY
    Participant

Did someone say cheese?

bazzz
    Participant

What about the idea about a dedicated server for casual gameplay i have been talking about. Preferably where you drop into when starting the game, if its loading a landscape why not play it?

ArmorWraith
    Participant

@bazzz wrote:

What about the idea about a dedicated server for casual gameplay i have been talking about. Preferably where you drop into when starting the game, if its loading a landscape why not play it?

not everyone has an internet connection.

unless of course you mean a non server connection.

kanga

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.