This topic contains 22 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  PeanutsRevenge 8 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Jaster
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I am an SE player from back in the 90s. I always had a fond memory of that game & was disappointed that I wasn’t able to play it anymore. About a week ago (for whatever reason) SE popped back into my head and I came across this website. Wow, I had forgotten how much I loved that game and how much fun I had playing it! I am very happy to see that you all have been keeping it alive and updating it. Thanks

Anyway, I do not really have that much experience playing games online but I know I will soon get tired of the bots so I have a few questions. Sorry if any of these are kinda stupid.

1. I did a test to make sure I could get on a server. I joined the first one on the list (the one with bots). Is that the beginners server? and which one is the “main” server for playing the unmodded game?

2. I have installed the program for all kinds of additional tanks. Will that still get me into the regular game servers? I didn’t know if it counted as a mod but it seemed to work for the server I tested on.

3. I had to knock down the graphics a bit for my computer. Will that affect other player’s games? I don’t want to drag anyone down.

4. I saw on my server test that the game used simultaneos shots. Is that a standard format for an online game? Doesen’t matter to me, just curious.

5. Is there a somewhat usual time that players seem to be online?

Well, I know I’ll get my tail kicked for awhile but I look forward to playing against you eventually.

Jaster

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Welcome to S3D, may you die many a horrible and frustrating death 🙂

1. Yes, that is the beginners server, it would be a good idea to play there a bit to get the hang of the game, there are a few regular players that like to hang out there and will hopefully be kind enough to offer any help you may require.
    The ‘main’ server is the second one on the list, feel free to enter whenever you like, we’re ‘generally’ a decent bunch that are happy to help newbs, so long as you listen to what is said and don’t get all big for ya boots. However, if you loved SE then you are prob not pre-pube, therefore that shouldnt be a problem.

2.If you enter any mod servers for which you do not already have that mod, it should automatically download, so no problems there.
    The top 3 servers are mods that you already have, so there should be no additional downloads.

3. The only time the speed of machine will effect others is while you are loading maps as everyone has to wait for everyone else to load before play starts, however, there are many people with slow machines and this is a pretty slow paced game, so you need not worry about others. However, try to keep your fps above 20fps otherwise aiming gets a little tricky for minute adjustments (you can bring up and remove the fps counter by entering the console and typing frametimer off or on)

4. Yes, simultanious is the main method used.

5. There are peak times throughout the day, but this game is played internationally, so there is usually someone about 24/7, however, if there is noone, then you can enter the game and wait, several people keep an eye on whos about using this web site and enter when there are people playing.

Anyother questions you can either search this site, post in here (prefereably after searching) or just ask ingame.

And again, welcome to S3D, heres wishing you all the luck and patience required to become a scorched bastage!

BOY
    Participant

good questions, welcome new guy! 😀

just hang around in the servers after you feel you can kill a few bots and you’ll get the feel for some stratagy. I recommend my own aiming guide of course, to help you out, but there are other ways of aiming…..

it might take you a few months, or even just a few weeks and you’ll be really good. 😀

Chopper
    Participant

Welcome Jaster.
    Yep ,the game’s changed but the song remains the same. Peanut pretty much covered it. Kill or be killed ….and …the main server can be a pretty dangerous place.

You might try the practice rounds and bot rounds that download with the game. The on line team server is a good place as the bots are more aggressive. work your way up.You’ll love it.

Just don’t get any “dirty” ideas….. [-X 😆

zombie
    Participant

welcome , be part of gang, as all has been told what i would like to add stay for a while . dont get disheartened with early defeat in initial period . it may take only a week to turn from a noob to pro . 😀 welcome again

Jaster
    Participant

Thanks for the welcome and responses.

I won’t be venturing into the main server anytime soom because, well, I suck. But I am not afraid of death. Fear is the mindkliller… as they say. I am still trying to get a little more consistant with my range. BTW, thanks for pointing me to the aiming guide BOY. I had over looked it before. I got a few more dumb questions.

1. The old vs. new sight. As far as I can tell, the actual arc of the shot is at the top of old and at the bottom of the new (or vise versa). I am probally missing something but if not, what’s the point?

2. I don’t really care much about stats but I am just curious as to how they work. More specifically, do they count if I jump in and out in the middle of games? I’m not talking about resigning (which I won’t do), but just loging in and out. I ask this because sometimes I can’t play for two or three full games. Also, do they carry over from server to server or only apply that one?

3. Lastly I have a question about ediqutte. I guess this really only applies to the beginner server because it has bots. Is it an unwritten rule to go after the bots first? I only ask this because I went after a player first the other day because, at least in theory, he was the easiest shot. He got ticked off because I was (trying) to hit him first. I didn’t see anything wrong with it but I don’t want to piss off people right out of the gate.

Anyway, sorry for the long post and look forward to attempting to kill you in the future. 😀

Jaster

PS – Don’t worry Chopper, I never really liked dirt. I guess it has a purpose but I always thought it was kind of dumb

BigBear
    Participant

Welcome to the game Jaster. Always good to add another ‘ol 90ies scorcher (man that brings me back) to the ranks.

In response to (some of) your questions:
    1. Something like that, although I don’t really know and never bothered to find out. I have never even tried the old sight.
    2. Stats are specific to the server you are playing on. Stats are recorded continuosly, so don’t worry about leaving a game. Currently rank is decided by total number of kills.
    3. Looking at the server rules pretty much says it all. Main and Beginners are FFA and rules need to be approved by ALL players. The only thing that you might wanna consider is that if ppl that wanna play rules games ask you just say no if you don’t feel like it. Allthough it might not be against the rules, keeping quiet to get an edge for the next round or whatever is a good way to piss ppl off.

Thrax
    Participant

Yes, Stats are specific to the server, or cluster of servers.
    Each set is run by the servers hosts, and covers only thier group.
    The Mod-Servers themselves pool all stats across any Mod into one rank,
    letting you explore all mods and still collect rank.

The only true rule is ‘kill and survive’. Some players try to make up silly
    limitations mostly because they either can’t take a real challange, or prefer
    to show thier ‘skillz’ without the fancy flashy booms..

Some even appear to be taught to call out “Bots First!” or “AIF! AIF!” every
    shot of every turn. It annoyed me enough to simply filter those words
    from the mod-servers chat..
    Use whatever weapon, defence, or accessory to succeed. Tactics come in
    all forms. If they try begging for a MCB game, tell them there’s a place made
    for them elsewhere.

BOY
    Participant

first, I congratulate you on your policy not to resign. Truly honorable scorchers shun such a practice. 😉 many here believe it should be either banned or resigning should cost a penalty of some kind. [-X

concerning the etiquette on the bots server, bots first is a decently nice thing to do since, in theory anyway, that is where the noobs are and it may help them learn a bit more by not being dead so soon. No obligation to follow the ‘code’ if you will. It does smooth things out though.

originally the red aiming indicator thingy was just slightly lower than the actual beginning point of the shot, if you trace it you’ll see it rapidly drops off due to gravity. After players began to notice this they figured it was just “not right” and a change was made for true “correctness” sake. Beware though, the projectile path does not even match up to the end point of the indicator, only the starting off edge.

Players such as myself found that we were so used to the old aiming indicator that we were killing ourselves more often and missing our sniper shots. we asked for an option between the two and it was given. I then asked and polled on the topic and realizing that the fine tuning of ones instincts to a certain set of game settings was vitally important to serious players.

I then felt compelled to write an aiming guide that hinged partly on the old sight and expanded on it a little. Hence there you go. Players who use the new sight are just as good now as the players who learned with the old sight.

I find that the old sight helps me out by giving me a slight margin for error when skimming the top of close hills. I sometimes use the new sight as well, probably once in every few games.

Don’t worry about coming in and out of games, obviously you’ll not win as many but for now it is no matter. Eventually you’ll get this itch to win and it will drive you mad and then you’ll eat dinner at the computer 😀 . Then a new skill comes into play…. how to chew and play scorched. Sorry we don’t have a guide for that but there are several opinions out there concerning eating and drinking while playing 😛

If you are of age, I find that moderate drinking is a good practice, hence my favorite quote.

I look forward to meeting you live in person and blowing you up. 😆

Chopper
    Participant

Someone say drinking??…… 😀

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@chopper wrote:

drinking!

Irishbandit
    Participant

@boy wrote:

first, I congratulate you on your policy not to resign. Truly honorable scorchers shun such a practice. 😉 many here believe it should be either banned or resigning should cost a penalty of some kind. [-X

concerning the etiquette on the bots server, bots first is a decently nice thing to do since, in theory anyway, that is where the noobs are and it may help them learn a bit more by not being dead so soon. No obligation to follow the ‘code’ if you will. It does smooth things out though.

originally the red aiming indicator thingy was just slightly lower than the actual beginning point of the shot, if you trace it you’ll see it rapidly drops off due to gravity. After players began to notice this they figured it was just “not right” and a change was made for true “correctness” sake. Beware though, the projectile path does not even match up to the end point of the indicator, only the starting off edge.

Players such as myself found that we were so used to the old aiming indicator that we were killing ourselves more often and missing our sniper shots. we asked for an option between the two and it was given. I then asked and polled on the topic and realizing that the fine tuning of ones instincts to a certain set of game settings was vitally important to serious players.

I then felt compelled to write an aiming guide that hinged partly on the old sight and expanded on it a little. Hence there you go. Players who use the new sight are just as good now as the players who learned with the old sight.

I find that the old sight helps me out by giving me a slight margin for error when skimming the top of close hills. I sometimes use the new sight as well, probably once in every few games.

Don’t worry about coming in and out of games, obviously you’ll not win as many but for now it is no matter. Eventually you’ll get this itch to win and it will drive you mad and then you’ll eat dinner at the computer 😀 . Then a new skill comes into play…. how to chew and play scorched. Sorry we don’t have a guide for that but there are several opinions out there concerning eating and drinking while playing 😛

If you are of age, I find that moderate drinking is a good practice, hence my favorite quote.

I look forward to meeting you live in person and blowing you up. 😆

I agree with every-thing that BOY said.

One other note about question 2 in your first post
    @jaster wrote:

Hello everyone,
    2. I have installed the program for all kinds of additional tanks. Will that still get me into the regular game servers? I didn’t know if it counted as a mod but it seemed to work for the server I tested on.

Adding extra tanks does nothing to the other players… unless they have the tank pack installed (or tank). If you choose a tank form the tank pack (or other tank) it shows up as that tank for those that have it . If they dont have the tank pack (or other tank) then the game picks a tank that is installed by default.

As far as adding mods the mods you add only effect the mod servers you play on it does nothing to the default servers. They are stored in different spots. So not like some other online games you wont corrupt the main server settings by dl or installing mods.

Any other questions just ask away.

The people that have answered your previous questions are good guys to have your back. 😉

And yes it is ok to use shields ….. BAH!!!

Jaster
    Participant

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

@chopper wrote:

drinking!

Drinking! So that’s my problem. #-o
    I thought that the wobbling tanks was part of the game. I suppose I need to get better with my aim before I add alchohol in the mix. 😀

Anyway, thanks to everyone for answering my questions. It is very nice to meet you & you all have helped a lot. Like I said, I am relative novice when it comes to gaming online (servers, mods and whatnot) so I may have some questions in the future. But for now I think I got it. Everything else is the game I know and love, albiet with an added dimention. I have never really felt the urge to play a game online, that is until I discovered that Scorched Earth is still alive and well.

I don’t have lot of time to play at the moment so my online time is a bit erratic right now. But eventually I will have enough confidence to get on the main server and be killed by just about everyone. 🙂

Jaster

Jaster
    Participant

Hello again,

I’m getting a little better with aiming but my strategy still needs a lot of work.

Anyway, I have a couple of cosmetic questions.

1. How do you all get those niffty avatars to show up in game and on the stats page? I read in the docs that you need to put it in when you first join. Did I miss my window and stuck with the shadow image?

2. When I log in to the forum, my profile says not signed up for stats. I’m not any good but I am starting to look at them and would like to sign up. I copied that id tag thing into my profile a couple of days ago but it still shows up the same. Does that stat thing only apply to the main competition server?

Thanks again,
    Jaster

BigBear
    Participant

@jaster wrote:

1. How do you all get those niffty avatars to show up in game and on the stats page? I read in the docs that you need to put it in when you first join. Did I miss my window and stuck with the shadow image?

Make a 32 by 32 pixels .png avatar and put it in the Scorched3D/data/avatars folder. When you join a game on a server, when you get to the name/tank selection “screen” you just click on your avatar and select one from the drop down list.

@jaster wrote:

2. When I log in to the forum, my profile says not signed up for stats. I’m not any good but I am starting to look at them and would like to sign up. I copied that id tag thing into my profile a couple of days ago but it still shows up the same. Does that stat thing only apply to the main competition server?

To get the current rank listed you need to put your ID from your ids.xml file (in the Documents and Settings/.scorched3d folder under Windows) in your forum profile.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.